back from dr. visit cidp

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Well I went too the dr.at IU. We talked and he checked me out. He thought everything was not getting worse but its not better. He is still keeping me off of work do to safety. I need too go back to work but on the other hand i am scared too, do to safety. I asked him if i can have something for my pain and he prescribed gabapentin (Neurontin) its for pain and numbness. Has anyone taken this med? We also talked about SSDI if i would qual. for it. He comment was you have had it in 2 extremites for 2 years and now has moved into 2 more extremites (hands). You would probably be approved for it, if you cannot go back too work. I am taking 300 MG once per day. He told me to email him Monday too see how i felt, I thought that was nice to do this. I am going too see him again in 4 weeks for a follow up. Again we will see if i can go back too work.

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2009 at 1:18 am

Hey TJ,
      I just wanted to let you know that in answer to your question, I take 900 mgs of Gabapentin and can take 300 more as needed. At first I struggled with fatigue but have gotten used to that. And I could not get through a day without the relief this drug provides. I also am on SSID and was approved on the first try. This isn’t always the case but sometimes some of us are blessed with this kind of luck. The point is, you certainly are a prime candidate for disability. It was really hard for me to accept at first, but not working has really allowed me to heal and stabalize. I wish you all the best and hope this helps encourage you.
      Linda

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2009 at 9:52 am

thinks Linda. I have asked some people about ssdi and they said my age would be a problem ( i am 48 ).

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2009 at 10:44 am

if your doctor fills your paperwork out and uses the right wording you can get ssdi. Sometimes it takes more than one try. I used a lawyer to help me get mine. He took a percentage of the back pay. You can back date your claim to when you first became disabled. i was 38 when i applied. I am only 40 now.
      Amy

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I am 43 and also on disability.

I take 1800 mg of gabapentin a day along with many more meds!

Keep your chin up!

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I was on 1800 mg of Gabapentin then switch to Lyrica 300mg a day but now I am taking an antidepressant that is also helping my nerve pain so I don’t need the Lyrica. But once I go back to work that might be another story.

Sue

• Anonymous
      June 20, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Iwas taking gabapentin for 2 years, 4 x 400 mg. I stoped because my bilirubin blood test went too high,
      and doc says is a hepatic failure. But my nigths are getting worst since that, more back pains, less sleep, hours awake..

Pablo

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2009 at 11:58 pm

tjay,

gabapentin 600 mg 4 times a day. Like the others mentioned, fatigue and dizziness at first, but as your body becomes adjusted to the med, these symptoms go away. Be careful about weight gain. It can add 20 if you are not careful. You will get the dizziness every time you up the dosage until you “balance out” Maybe a day or so.

regarding disability. Tough question. I get less than half of what I made when I was working. I made 55,000 in 2002 and get just a little over 20,000 in ss disability. Big adjustment. Major lifestyle changes.

With the “neuropathy approach” yes, you need to prove it in several extremities. I had both feet, and both hands. Pain, fatigue, dysfunction, and the tests to prove it. I applied myself, (with help from a few good friends here). I was rejected the first application, but was accepted upon re-submission. I had to prove that the CIDP I had was disabling for all the year, not relapse-remitting. My neuro provided the necessary opinions. Plus Vocational Rehab could not find me work, and my case worker said that I would need to find a sympathetic employer to get even part time work. So I got approved.

Then I had to wait two years for medicare to kick in. I never did understand that. You can prove that you are so messed up that you cannot work, then they make you wait two years for any medical insurance to pay for treatment because you are messed up. BUT, if you are an illegal immigrant, you can qualify for medicare……

another story.

If you want any other SS disability info, ask me. I’ll help where I can

Dick S

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2009 at 7:19 am

I also take Neurontin but they had to also add another pill to help with the nerve pain. Both at first have been sedating but the Neurontin I barely feel anything from it now! It takes a few weeks to get into your system!

SSDI! It varies on your condition. Some people get approved right away and others get a hard time! Since you have your doctor backing you up, you might be okay! Good luck TJay! Wishing you my best! Hugs
      Linda H