B complex vitamin

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2012 at 6:08 pm

so ive searched and i didnt seem to find a thred with infromation on B complex vitamin.. my dad asked me to inquire if  anyone with GBS is taking or has taken it and has any informatiion about it? beniffits ? or side effects?……….plz help still struggling after 6 years and getting tired.

• GH
      May 7, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I take B12 supplements (for CIDP), which is supposed by some to promote nerve healing. I don’t claim that it does anything at all, however, but it certainly does no harm. The thing about individual anecdotes is that they don’t prove anything, as a rule. It is impossible to determine how much of my healing, if any, is due to taking B12. There’s no harm in trying such a supplement to see if it helps you.

Chronic fatigue is a hallmark of both GBS and CIDP, recovery is slow and sometimes incomplete. Have you noticed any improvement in recent years! Do you get regular exercize?

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I also take B12. But just like GH said. I can’t say whether or not it has really helped me during recovery or not. But its worth a shot when it can’t do any harm. One day at a time!

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2012 at 3:52 am

My doctor told me to take B12. Can’t really say if it helps or not.

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2012 at 2:39 am

I used to take complex vitamin B 3 times a day- my ob/gyn (so much more to me than just a baby/menopause dr; it’s someone I have the utmost faith and respect for and whose extensive medical knowledge is a wonderful resource for me) ran my levels and I was way, way over the max (200- 500% over norm). She told me that at such excess amounts can cause neuroligc problems /balance, etc I stopped taking it completely. So I guess this email is a heads up for those who take the vitamin; be careful on the amount you take, as it can impact your neurologic symptoms.

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2012 at 3:59 am

thanks EVERYONE for the responces… its something im gping to look into, and talk to my doc about.i was taking b 12 at pone point bnut just didnt stay with it consistantly..oops.. all ur information is really appreciated thanks sooooo much

• May 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm

synthia, I get a 1000cc injection in between my plasma pheresis (PP) treatments. B-12 is an essential element in the re-myelination process. I’ve regained so much motor function and sensory function since beginning the PP/B-12 protocol that I’m a firm believer and will continue to take B-12, because I’m evidently re-myelinating or growing new neural pathways. From everything I’ve read and been told by my doctors B-12 is not toxic. I usually get a couple of weeks after my PP treatment and it does seem to give me a boost and sustains me until my next PP. When the headaches, burning, numbness, and strange smells return I know it’s time for an injection. I can’t say whether it helps with the fatigue or not, but the headaches subside.

My neuro says the headaches and strange smells come from de-myelination of my central nervous system (CNS). While the peripheral nervous system is important to me, I’m more concerned about the effect CIDP has on my CNS … if the B-12 injections make the headaches and smells go away, maybe it’s keeping the CNS damage at bay or at a minimum at least.

Hope this helps,

Gary

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Gary I have a question for you. You said you get a 1000 cc injection. Can you check out the dosage for sure please? I have just starting giving hubby subcutaneous B 12 three times a week, and the dosage is 1 cc each time. Just wondering if the 1000 cc is correct or is it 100? Thanks.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Gary I used google and I think I got the answer to my question. I think that you must be getting 1000 mcg which would be equivalent to 10 cc’s. That makes sense to me.
      Laurel

• GH
      June 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm

1000 cc is a liter, which is about a quart.