arthritis treatment and MS and CIDP

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2010 at 11:12 am

Tumor necrosis factor- (TNF) blockers are effective in the treatment of inflammatory arthritis but can induce autoimmune disorders including multiple sclerosis. Described are two patients who developed chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy after initiation of anti-TNF treatment.

Funded by: Société Française de Rhumatologie.

[I]This is only an abstract. I would’ve needed to pay for the article itself. However, when some of you folks speak of things contributing to CIDP … this could be one culprit.

Rocky[/I]

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I hope this isn’t a “hijack”, but I have a question, and it relates to arthritis meds…

I never see anyone mention Cox2 inhibitors…i.e. Celebrex, to help with pain? Just curious if it’s been tried and what the results were.

Thanks,

Elmo

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2010 at 1:36 pm

[I]Hi, Elmo. For awhile I was taking ….hmmm?… the one like celebrex that was pulled from the market. Wonderful stuff! I’ve only had celebrex prescribed after surgery … along with the — wheeeee — vicodin. Celebrex does not work nearly as well as the … darn, wish I could pull up the name …[/I]

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2010 at 4:11 pm

VIOXX? If so, it was pulled from the market several years ago…and yes, it was a GREAT anti-inflammatory.

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I take Celebrex all the time. It takes the ache away, espeically after infusions, when I tend to get an inflammation flair a day or two after my IVIG.
      Before my IVIG started, the tops of my feet were red. the IVIG cleaned up most of that, but residual seems to stay there. I found through trial and error that Gluten creates more pain for me. so I don’t eat any wheat or breads.

Prior to Diagnosis, I took aleve constantly, thought I had arthritis, until it got so bad it became numbing.

Any of the basic anti-inflammatory line up causes Liver ALT and AST to rise.
      Celebrex does not. so I use it for pain.

I was taking codeine but my job put a stop to that. I take Ultram 300mg everyday, celebrex when I can’t stand it, and Klonopin for muscle relaxing.
      Seems to keep me from freakin out from pain.
      See ya–Tim–

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2010 at 9:12 pm

[QUOTE=Elmo]VIOXX? If so, it was pulled from the market several years ago…and yes, it was a GREAT anti-inflammatory.[/QUOTE]

[I]Thanks, Elmo … yes, Vioxx. Nothing else can touch its effectiveness for lessening pain, loosening up joints but not killing one’s liver and/or kidneys in the process. All the usual NSAIDs have nasty side effects when taken at high dosage … acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxyn, aspirin.

Well, I sure had fun while it lasted![/I]