arm going numb

• Anonymous
      April 8, 2007 at 2:28 am

my arms have been going numb I thought that i was sleeping on them wrong so my husband watched and the arm goes numb when I am NOT sleeping on it!! how wierd is that I woke up to my right arm feeling completly dead to shoulder and i was laying on my left side. and it works like that on the other side same way not lying on it and it goes numb the on I am lying on is ok!!:confused:

• Anonymous
      April 8, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Nebraskafan,

I also suffer from this condition. I donnot have gbs/cidp and in my case it is not related. ( carer to daughter w/cidp)

For years, I have dreamt of sleeping on a diving board – with both arms suspended down from the shoulders, hanging in mid-air. Often I sleep at the edge of my bed in this fashion to relieve the pain one arm at a time. My problems are (suspected) from a car accident in which I had shoulder/neck/back injuries from the seatbelt. I’ve had offers from a neurosurgon to have surgery on my shoulders (forgot the name to the muscle/nerve structure specific to this), but am too chicken for the procedure. At any rate, mabe my experience will give you some insight into the cause of your discomfort.

best wishes
      cd

• Anonymous
      April 8, 2007 at 3:01 pm

this is a new thing and I have not suffered any injury to my brachial plexis nerve bundles. it happened again last night and take about two hours to get the feeling back. It scares me everytime it happens. I will try the new sleep pattern with arem hanging down. see if that works for me

• Anonymous
      April 8, 2007 at 4:15 pm

I had this happen quite a bit last year when I was getting worse overall. However, it didn’t take more than a few minutes to regain sensation. If I laid on my right side, my left arm would lose feeling and vice versa. Sometimes I could make it happen less by making sure my shoulders and neck were as relaxed as possible, but in the end I trained myself to sleep on my back.

Why it happened, I’m not sure. I assume there is some reasonable explanation that has to do with the position of muscles, bones, blood vessels and nerves — possibly, somehow pressure is being put on a vulnerable part of the nerve simply because of the position that your limbs and trunk are in, rather than because of having weight on top of it.

As I started getting better again, it stopped happening.

• Anonymous
      April 8, 2007 at 8:15 pm

This was happening to me quite often. I was able to stop some of it by rotating the mattress and getting a new pillow. I still get it to a slight degree, but it goes away quickly.

• Anonymous
      April 8, 2007 at 10:20 pm

I wake up almost every morning with my hands feeling numb. It takes about 15 minutes for things to return to normal. I just wrote it off as another gift from CIDP 😎

• Anonymous
      April 9, 2007 at 9:10 pm

I had the condition before GBS. One of the reasons I didn’t go to the doctor with the GBS symptoms right away. I thought is was numbness as usual, only worse.. silly me!!