Anyone take beta-blockers?

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Hi Gang,

I just got back from the doctor and he wants to change my high blood pressure from an ace inhibitor to a beta- blocker ( Toprol, or the generic name Metoprolo ). I read that all beta blockers are contraindicated for someone with active GBS. Any help would be great. I’m calling him tomorrow.

Take Care, Susanne

• Anonymous
      October 1, 2008 at 8:38 am

I take Lopressor. I have been on it for about 2 years. They actually started it in the hospital with my initial attack. They were using it because my heart rate and B/p were elevated and it took care of both. I had a heart rate of about 140 for days before it was started. I didn’t find any contraindications when I googled it….but talk with your Dr.

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2008 at 12:56 pm

I’ve been taking Toprol XL for over 12 years now and have switched to Metoprolol Tartrate recently with no problems.

GB

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2008 at 1:49 pm

I have been on Toprol for 8 yrs. & all through my GBS without any problems. I was taking 50mg. 2 x day but since GBS I only need 50mg. daily. However everybody is different & responds differently to medications.
      Take care & Good Luck

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2008 at 3:45 am

I was started on Metoprolol 50mg every 12hours while being treated for GBS. Haven’t had any issues.

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2008 at 7:10 am

I just started on a Beta blocker too but mine has nothing to do with GBS. No nasty side effects so far with mine but only just started them last week and still new on this issue. Would not mind hearing about them though just in case I see problems taking the one I am on!

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2008 at 6:11 pm

I have been taking a beta-blocker since my diagnosis 3 years ago. It has really helped with the symptoms of an irregular heartbeat and I feel like it helps with my neuropathy as well. Take care-Kim

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 11:23 am

I want to thank all of you for your replies. It is great to know that there is a place I can go to get information from people who have the same problems as I do. You all are great.

Take Care, Susanne

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Hi Suzanne, I’ve been on a beta blocker (atenolol) for eight years , tolerating it well. It did a fairly good job controlling my blood pressure but it was still a bit on the high side. About a year 1/2 ago, my doctor switched me to a newer drug, Micardis, because my heart rate was getting too low – 40-50. He also put me on a small dose of a diuretic. Since that time my blood pressure and heart rate have been perfect.
      [QUOTE]Micardis is in a group of drugs called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. It works by decreasing certain chemicals in the body that cause blood vessels to constrict and sodium and fluid to be stored by the kidneys.

Micardis is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). It is sometimes given together with other blood pressure medications
      [/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Wow Norb! Those beats were getting pretty low. Hope the meds are now helping with that and making you feel better! You are so full of life and seem to be so cheerful! And also very friendly! This site with you around makes it worth coming in!

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Right now I am on Cozaar, which is in the same class as Micardis. I have been taking it for eight years and recently it just isn’t controlling my blood pressure as well. Thanks for the info.

I had GBS many years ago but have a friend with CIDP. She is in her 70s and goes to John Hopkins for treatment. It took her several years to be diagnosed also. Like my friend, you seem like a person who has a positive attitude. I hope you are doing well.

Take Care, Susanne

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2008 at 3:40 pm

I currently take lopressor AND enilapril……

BP is starting to behave much, MUCH better.

I was having spikes in the hospital of up to 200 over 130…..scary. Even in re-hab, I had to scale days back at times, to recover.