Anyone having seizures post GBS?

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Greetings,

Am 5 1/2 years post GBS and for the past few years have had 6 mild seizures. All late at night when I’m about to have a snack. I feel them coming on and I faint, pass out for 30 seconds to 2 minutes. I loss bladder control and am very scared when they come on. I don’t have spasms or shakes.

Any ideas? Anyone else?

My doctor is not too concerned, but I’m scared. EEG’s and cat scans are expensive.

Thanks for your replies,

Rob

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Hi,
      I am not a doctor, but a concerned mom. My daughter had GBS at age 3, last year. She has had partial motor seizures since. Is there epilpsy in your family?? Check and see. I learned the following: research shows that autoimmune illness and epilepsy are related (google it and you will come up with tons of results). Also, successful results are staggering for people with autoimmune disease and seizures who go on a Gluten-free/casein(cow’s milk)-free diet. They testify that the seizures are the first thing to be resolved. I just put my whole family on a GF/CF diet because we all have food allergies, epilepsy, raynaud’s, colitis, etc (all these are autoimmune). I read somewhere that seizures are the brain’s way of detoxing (which would make sense after all the drugs you have to take with GBS). In the hospital, they tested Hill for celiac. I asked why, since she had no symptoms of celiac, and I never found out but now I know. it’s because gluten allergies can and eventually will affect the brain and nervous system. It may not even show as an allergy on a test, but see the amazing results when you get it out of your diet. There are lots of milk alternatives–rice, soy (if you have an Aldi store near you , they sell soymilk and have good prices). Hope this all helps. It makes sense to me. Good luck!

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2008 at 2:37 pm

PS: anther person recently posted a thread asking about the same thing–they also said the seizures occur at night. I hope many people reply to this as it has been a question for me since we were in the hospital.