Anyone else with Tinnitus?

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2006 at 7:29 am

I seem to have developed tinnitus. Over the last several months I have this constant “chirping noise”. I did not really notice it until it stopped for a few seconds one day. It has become more and more annoying. I will bring it up on my next scheduled Dr. visit. Has anyone else expericed this? I understand it could also be caused from my medications. Any suggestions for treatment would be appreciated.
      Thanks!!
      Bonnie:cool:

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2006 at 11:06 am

Dear Bonnie:

I developed tinitus after GBS. It’s pretty constant but it gets worse when I overdo it. Mine isn’t a chirping sound, it’s more like a high pitched whine, almost like a jet engine. Before GBS I had tinitus maybe once or twice in my lifetime.

Lee

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2006 at 3:58 pm

lee.

turn your amp down

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2006 at 4:18 pm

Yes I woke up with it one morning in October 1992 and it has been with me ever since, as with Lee, in the form of a whistling jet engine. I am not aware of any cure.

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2006 at 5:00 am

What is “tinitus”, please??

P

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2006 at 7:22 am

Perry it’s a ringing in the ear(s). I had it all my life in my left ear were I have a hearing lost. But I find it gets louder at times when I was taking gabapentin and now my Lyrica.

Sue

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2006 at 7:43 am

As I write this the tinnitus is buzzing mildly. It can be fiercely strong and quite mind-bending. Does disappear for 36-48 hours occasionally and this is bliss.
      It began some 3+ years ago after heart surgery and the new medications then. My theory is that excess saliva/mucus is being created through some intake. Some of the excess gets into the middle ear and the tinnitus sounds in my left ear. At the same time there is excess mucus running down to my throat and this needs clearing. My GP & I made an agreement 6 weeks ago that on return from holiday in Germany I would check one medication at a time, after checking bp first and then regularly over a 4 week period for each medication.
      My suspect is Tildiem Retard (Diltiazem), a calcium channel blocker.
      That may also creat extra fluid in feet and legs, as does gabapentin. Have just had a major problem with this!:eek:

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2006 at 7:47 am

Hi,

Mine’s about an E#, two octives above middle C. There is an herb that seems to kill it for hours on end, but it requires some inhaleing.:)

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2006 at 9:17 am

Dear Soapy:

I did turn the amp down to nine and a half! The power E chord just doesn’t sound the same with less than 139 decibals.

Lee

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 12:10 am

I have had Tinnitus for about 16 yrs. I got mine from a drug called Plaquenil. Its a Malria drug used to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis.
      It caused chemical toxicity which destroyed the tiny nerves in my inner ears.
      That may be the cause of yours also.
      I find the best thing is to drown it out with either tv or radio during the day but not loud.
      I found out the louder the music or tv during the day, the louder the tinnitus is at night.
      Turning up the tv to drown it out is the wrong thing to do.
      Going to concerts makes is way louder than you want.
      I use a fan at night to sleep. Its soothing to me.

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2006 at 5:48 am

THANK YOU SUE, for your explanation. How ya doin’? Haven’t heard from you in quite a while
      P

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 12:24 pm

Mine started with a high pitch, like a radio badly tuned. Then it graduated to a sound like the water outside is turned on. Or an angry bird sound that is constant. I’ve had clicking sounds. The ear doc said it wasn’t happening because there were too many types of sounds I complained about. :p

Now it sounds like a brass band is tuning up in my head. Not a song, just a tune up. I’ve decided that what’s in my head is going to be there and I’ll just live with it. 😀 Real music (not turned too loud) distracts me from it.

The sound gets louder after I take my meds. But I need them more than I need the tinnitus to go away.

If a cure exists I would like to know about it.
      Patricia

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 2:36 am

I also have a whining sound in my right ear. It started when I was in hospital with GBS. It is still with me now 2 1/2 years on. It also gets worse when I overdo it.

Debbie

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2006 at 11:19 pm

I have had ringing in my ear since 2000…I discovered I clenched my teeth when I slept. This caused the jaw bone to press on a nerve to the middle ear in the socket. Doctor’s do not understand how the jaw muscles can affect your health. The trick will be to find a dentist who truly unerstands your delimma….It is not tmj, but can be treated with a bite splint.