Anyone else done this??

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2006 at 3:01 pm

😮
      The doctor wanted to stretch out my mom’s heel cords in order to avoid foot drop and to aid in her learning to stand and walk and to help decrease pain in her feet since she is still quite hypersensitive in that area. Because Dynasplints aren’t covered by our insurance anymore, they decided to use casts–yes, hard plaster casts covered with playful colors of fiberglass just as if she broke her ankles. The idea is that each week they will change out the hard casts and put on a new one that cranks up the tension a bit more than the last one so her heel cord stretches out. They want to do this for about 4-6 weeks, until her feet can stand a 90 degree stretch. She had the first set (yes, both legs) put on a few days ago…it looks like she’s wearing big blue socks.

First of all, has anyone else HEARD of this or done this too?

And if you have done this, are the results long lasting?

Other than AFOs, what do you do to help with foot drop? (tried surgery or stretching routine…)

Would greatly appreciate the input!!

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2006 at 4:14 pm

hi stephanie, i have been wondering how your mom has been doing. i’m sorry to hear she is still having some problems. surgery is hard on the body especially as far as the tendons go. it is best to try conventional procedures first. that way if anyting else is needed the drs have surgery as last chance. i think the casts way is a good idea, i still have drop foot problems and very sensitive heels, because i wasn’t treated properly in the begining. i hope her throat heals ok after all she has been through. give her my best. take care of yourself too.:)