Any Tips On How To Make Your Feet And Hands Feel Better

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Hello,This is my first post on the website but I have read quite a few stories. I was hoping that somebody has a success story or any ideas that made their feet and hands feel better. I have had GPS now for 19 months and my feet and hands have improved very little sense I got sick. But I guess I shouldn’t complain because six months ago I was in a wheelchair. Also I would like to thank all the people that make this website possible. I have learned more about GPS here than from all my doctors. Thanks for any ideas.

• February 12, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Hello Steve,
      Which do you mean by feel better, are they in pain, or lack the sense of touch? I’m 3 and a half years out now and still have no sensory on either foot. They have slow reaction to both hot and cold, so I have to watch it in the wintertime when I go outside, however, when I step on something as small as a small pea, I can feel it on the bottoms of my feet. I have no sensetivety on parts of my hands, but most of my hands came back 100%.
      Off topic, but what does junior versus senior member refer to, as some junior members are older than the senior ones? I am 68 and a half and am listed as a junior member.

• Anonymous
      February 15, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Hi Joe,

Junior or Senior member has to do with how many posts you have made. Finally a post I can answer 😀

• Anonymous
      February 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm

My advice is to protect your hands and feet from further damage.
      Wear warm clothing, gloves, socks, insoles in your shoes, light shoes not heavy ones. Everything must fit well, so there’s no chafing or pressure. Sleep with your hands under the blankets, so they don’t get cold. I know I get more hand cramps whenever my hands get cool.

As for recovery of your hands and feet, you have to make yourself do things, even if your mind tells you you can’t. Of course, if you really CAN’T do them, don’t do them, but you have to re-learn how to do things again. And it won’t be easy. You have to re-train your mind almost like a person who has had a stoke retrains their mind as they learn to speak, read, write, walk, think again. Do a little at a time; don’t over-do, or you’ll suffer for it. But don’t give up on things just because of weakness or trouble controlling your body.

It may not seem like progress is happening sometimes, but weeks, months or even years later, suddenly you see that you can do something you couldn’t do before. Some days are better or worse than others, so be happy for success, and don’t get down during the times when the body isn’t as co-operative. You’re healing. Repetitive motions will retrain your brain and your muscles: try different activities you used to do, but slowly and patiently, and a little at a time with lots of recovery time in between. Eat right, sleep often, live a normal life as much as possible.
      You have heard of the patience of Job; well, those of us with GBS are learning a new meaning of the word…patience.

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Yes it happens. My hands are very susceptible to hot things. I even cannot hold a cap of tea when it is hot. Cramp/spasm is very common in hands and legs. It occurs anytime anywhere you are. For example, when we talk on mobile for more than 10 minutes or so by holding it near ear, cramp in hand would sure be there. Similarly it happens while writing too much, say one or two pages.

I did ask the Doctors solution. Their advice is – do some light exercise every day at least for 15 to 20 minutes and it paid me rich dividend.

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2010 at 11:36 am

Steve I hear you I too am going on 19 mo’s an have severe tingling in my hands an feet.
      I have found that working with nut’s an bolts an wrenches an building models has really helped. Last june I was really bad at it, an I mean really bad but I just kept trying.
      I fly model airplanes an at 1st I didn’t think I would ever fly again but now I’m flying again.
      I’ve had to re learn every thing an ingore alot of the feelings I have like the tingling an tremors in my fingers.
      the main thing is not to get discourage

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I am post GBS May05 and still have problems with my hands and feet.

My feet feel spongy on the bottom and I can no longer bear going barefoot. The textures of carpet, concrete, grass are really irritating and I tried having a pedicure and that drove me nuts about 2 years ago.

My hands feel like I have rubber bands constricting them and the tops feel like they are slightly sunburned. I am constantly rubbing/massaging them as it helps them feel better. I get spasms when holding things in one position for 2 long such as a telphone or carrying grocery bags that are heavier. My fingers sometimes get locked in a position and I have to take my other hand and move it back to normal. It is hard to explain this to other people. My family tell me my hands still shake at times but I guess I’ve gotten used to it for the most part.

I do pilates 2 times a week and try to walk at leasst a mile on the other days. My husband and I are also taking dance classes so I’m pretty active which helps keep me limber.