any suggestions for annoyingly numb feet?

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2009 at 1:37 pm

im not really in PAIN, but i feel like im wearing five pairs of socks on each foot!!. my neurologist has me on oxcarbazepin (anti siezure medicaion to qwell the pain and numbness) i dont think its working that well. i try rubbing organic pain relief creams on my feet, take some advil now and then….would anybody recommend acupuncture or maybe a good foot electric footbath that could carry some sort of medication in the bath for relief. not sure what to do, just trying to think of ways for relief from the numb, numb, numb feeling. steven

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Steven,
      Rubbing the feet with vicks vapor rub, put socks on and slept in them.
      This gave me temporary relief from the tingling and numbness.
      Take care
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Steven, that sounds like one of the typical symptoms for neuropathy, called “gloves & stockings syndrome”. I no longer have that sensation on my feet but lately it has shown upn in my hands. I don’t have any pain but it is pretty annoying. It feels like wearing leather gloves that are too tight. Not aware of any way to relief it.

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2009 at 8:34 pm

I use cannabis for pain control. To find a list of states with medical marijuana laws you can goto [url]www.norml.org[/url]

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2009 at 12:01 am

This sensation is so typical of all our many symptoms. If you are able stretching is good to keep those muscles moving and not allowing toxins to gather from not using the muscles. I wrote about my feet a few weeks ago, you may want to pull up that thread “my feet my feet”
      I have noticed the sock feeling has diminished and now my feet feel like clumbed up muscles and actually painfull first thing is morning. I quess this is good, as now I at least feel my feet. I am 6 months post and started noticing the glove/sock feeling diminishing last month.

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2009 at 10:03 am

[QUOTE=steven]im not really in PAIN, but i feel like im wearing five pairs of socks on each foot!!. my neurologist has me on oxcarbazepin (anti siezure medicaion to qwell the pain and numbness) i dont think its working that well. i try rubbing organic pain relief creams on my feet, take some advil now and then….would anybody recommend acupuncture or maybe a good foot electric footbath that could carry some sort of medication in the bath for relief. not sure what to do, just trying to think of ways for relief from the numb, numb, numb feeling. steven[/QUOTE]

Hi Steven: I don’t have any cure for the numb feet/toes, but I have found that I need to wear slippers in the house year round now, cause of sensory issues…. For me, it helps…. Perhaps, if you are healing, the numbness will subside for you in time… I think in the gbs packet, there are some tips for what’s ailing you.. deano

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2009 at 11:32 am

Steve,

I sure wish I had a magic wand to help you here. I had these same issues with my hand recently but it was also plagued with severe and I mean SEVERE burning pain. I think the burning is the worst. I had to rub it and shake it out and it would ease up. It felt like it was being squeezed and tightened with a glove on it. As the numbness decreased, the pain subsided.

My dr told me to do hot/cold water therapy. Put your feet in warm water and then cold…for about ten minutes each and rotate back and forth.
      I dont know that it will help…but, in case it might…give it a try ?

good luck
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Hi Steven,
      Welcome to my world!
      I have to wear slippers year round because I can’t really feel my feet and have lost my sense of proprioception. My hands feel just as numb and annoyingly
      tingly (sp?) as both my feet the weird thing is I have strength for short periods and then I get weak. For instance I can walk about 40 feet with no assistance really strong than my legs turn into complete noodles just like that! I can hold big things for a short time then my arms will get tired yet it’s hard for me to tie a bow or button my blouse. I have even cut my finger cooking and not noticed until I saw the blood. I am so tired of not having any feeling in my feet and hands it’s driving me crazy!!! Even when it’s raining Im wearing slippers and people ask me why? I just tell them I can’t feel my feet so it’s easier for me. And actually it truly is the only way I can drive is barefoot.
      If you find something to help please post it!:o

Joyce

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2009 at 9:08 pm

thanks for all the info everyone…. i think i found a nice solution (thank you carol) i tried rubbing some peppermint cream on my feet frirst, then follow it up with some mineral ice, globs of it….then cover the top of each foot with one of those disposable heating pads, put socks on and go to bed. so far, i gotta say they feel better!! also i agree with you, its important (if you’re able ) to keep moving and stretching to keep as much blood supply to the muscles as possible. what a challenge this is, but im NOT disouraged.!! what wont kill you will make you strong….. thanks again everyone. its nice to know i’m not alone……….. steven

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2009 at 12:11 am

On one of the older threads we talked about using Vicks vapor rub. For many of us that helped to increase the circulation and lessen the pain. I still use it frequently at nite. Be sure to cover your feet with a pair of socks. You might not notice anything immediately but do give it the “good ole college try”! Remember, what works for one won’t necessarily work for another. Good luck 🙂

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2009 at 3:34 am

You can try lymph frain massahe.
      Do it yourself, with a big brush, rubbing from the fingers to the limb.
      This is supossed to pump up toxics from the lymphatic vessels.
      I do not how it relates with nerves, but works for me.

Pablo,

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2009 at 3:36 am

You can try lymph frain massahe.
      Do it yourself, with a big brush, rubbing from the fingers to the limb.
      This is supossed to pump up toxics from the lymphatic vessels.
      I do not how it relates with nerves, but works for me.

Pablo,

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2009 at 6:12 am

thanks judy…shirley had mentioned the vicks trick as well…. i will try it between tries with the mineral ice…. anything that’ll make it feel better…… thanks again…. steven:)

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2009 at 9:47 am

steven,

It sounds like many have given you good advice. If you have a CIDP diagnosis, numbness and sensory loss can be a component of it. I have trouble with hot/cold, as well as the sensory loss. There can be safety issues like:

1.bath water too hot
      2.stepping on sharp things. You don’t feel it the first time, and then drive it home with the second step. I never walk around bare footed anymore.
      3.not feeling yourself on a step. If you are only half way on the step, it is easy to lose your balance.
      4. mis-stepping when you walk. I now tend to look where my feet are going to land when I walk. I just can’t trust my feet to “tell me” anything accurate.
      5. Nerve conduction happens better when your feet are warmer. When they do those EMG’s they always warm you up for better results. Warm soaks, warm socks, slippers, all that stuff. Gloves for your hands too, if you are affected in the hands.

Take care

Dick S