Any correlation with endoscopy and gbs?

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2007 at 9:56 pm

I had an endoscopy a month or so prior to my gbs onset and wondered if that proceure could somehow introduce the manifestation of the upper respiratory virus (mono in my case) ? I noticed another member mentioned having her onset coincide with her endoscopy. Anyone come across any info on this? I am scheduled to have both upper and lower gi procedures (good times) in a few weeks and am a little concerned. Please let me know what you think and thanks.
      Dave

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2007 at 11:33 pm

Dave, Let the dr and anest people know about your gbs history, and make sure they know about gbs and anest before hand. Good Luck:eek: .

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2007 at 11:31 am

Hi,

There could be a correlation, but figuring it out is what is difficult. You could have had some reaction to the anesthesia because, like vaccines, they put preservatives in them. I may have a surgery coming up and I am more affraid of the anesthesia than the procedure. Hospitals are notorious for having bugs floating around them, too. That is why the stays have been lowered. This faster a patient gets out, the less exposure to staph, etc.

Discuss your concerns with your doctor and if you need more procedures, make sure they all know your history. I believe I reacted to the aluminum in my vaccine, however, since we are all very different creatures, something else could have triggered your GBS. :confused:

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2007 at 3:13 pm

I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy the morning I had my first symptom of GBS. I was in the hospital paralyzed 7 days later. All the Doctors insist that it had nothing to do with me having GBS but they couldn’t connect it to anything else. In my case after research and seeing the posts on this site I think I had 6 months worth of events that contributed to my system being down and the procedure put it over the edge.

I will probably never have the procedure again for fear of it being the cause.

Every person is so different.

• November 16, 2007 at 4:15 pm

It could be that the GBS was already present from some other source and the stress of the procedure helped it along? Or it was already there and it is a coincidence that it came on that same day. I’m saying this because most of what I have heard and read about GBS, people have a procedure/illness/etc a week or two (up to 4 weeks?) before onset. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I like adding to my knowledge base. I guess I am trying to ease your mind in case you have to go thru the procedure again, unless of course I am way off and then you have every reason to avoid it at all costs!