ANOTHER WHERE DO YOU LIVE, from old forum

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2006 at 2:33 pm

just testing, this will edit out.[IMG]http://www.lieye/articles/lpics/images/smithbull.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2006 at 2:47 pm

Hi,
      Ignore the above post. I thought I figured out how to put in a bigger image, like old forum, didn’t work, couldn’t delete:o

OH WELL, we can still go with this. I am from Long Island, New York and I live in a town called St. James. I am about 40 to 50 miles east of New York City. My town lays claim to having the oldest still operating general store, circa 1857.

Our sister town, Smithtown, has a statue of a bull and a legend. A settler, Richard Smith, was told by local indians that he could keep whatever land he could circle while riding atop his bull “whisper”.

I grew up in St. James.

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2006 at 5:43 pm

Liz, I have deleted my posts many times when the picture didn’t show up. When you clickmon edit, there is an option to delete. BTW, I found that it is important your picture has a resolution of 75 pixels if you want it to appear with the post instead of a link.

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2006 at 6:20 pm

I live in Fort Collins, Colorado, right in the foothills of the Rocky mountains. It is a mile high and it takes a while to get used to the altitude. Its a pretty cool place, perhaps around 200 thousand inhabitants, has an old town, the most micro breweries per capita in the States. It’s a college town. Colorado State U. has around 15 thousand students. Used to be an aggi school. Coors has a brewery here , too. Tours are interesting, beer tasting is lots of fun.

Ft. Collins is about 1 hour north of Denver or Boulder. Boulder is a great place but we couldn’t afford to buy a house there. Outside of Boulder there is the Celestial Seasoning tea company. Don’t miss a tour when visiting. Driving west from here into the Rockies for about one hour there is a Tibetan Buddhist retreat center with a huge colorful chedi (temple) with a tall golden Buddha statue inside. Quite a sight and quie unexpected n the mountains.

We built our house in 2002 on the farthest west part of Ft. Collins. Only a few hundred yards west from us is a large building housing a branch of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) working on vector-borne diseases like Eboli, West Nile virus etc.

We don’t like Denver much but right now we spend half our lives there babysitting our granddaughter – whjich we love dearly. Our daughter is a medical doctor finishing her firstr residency year in emergency medicine. She can’t afford a nanny because her salary is pretty low. Her husband does freelancing construction and carpentry work.

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2006 at 6:22 pm

I live in Fort Collins, Colorado, right in the foothills of the Rocky mountains. It is a mile high and it takes a while to get used to the altitude. Its a pretty cool place, perhaps around 200 thousand inhabitants, has an old town, the most micro breweries per capita in the States. It’s a college town. Colorado State U. has around 15 thousand students. Used to be an aggi school. Coors has a brewery here , too. Tours are interesting, beer tasting is lots of fun.

Ft. Collins is about 1 hour north of Denver or Boulder. Boulder is a great place but we couldn’t afford to buy a house there. Outside of Boulder there is the Celestial Seasoning tea company. Don’t miss a tour when visiting. Driving west from here into the Rockies for about one hour there is a Tibetan Buddhist retreat center with a huge colorful chedi with a tall golden Buddha statue inside. Quite a sight and quie unexpected n the mountains.

We built our house in 2002 on the farthest west part of Ft. Collins. Only a few hundred yards west from us is a large building housing a branch of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) working on vector-borne diseases like Eboli, West Nile virus etc.

We don’t like Denver much but right now we spend half our lives there babysitting our granddaughter – whjich we love dearly. Our daughter is a medical doctor finishing her firstr residency year in emergency medicine. She can’t afford a nanny because her salary is pretty low. Her husband does freelancing construction and carpentry work.

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2006 at 3:03 am

I live in Hastings Minnesota. I am 20 minutes away from the Twin Cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis. I see Dr. Garreth Parry at the University of MN. For this I feel very blessed.

Hastings is a town of 18K people. Kind of like small town but we have a Chipolte and Caribou and Dunn Bros. We even have a Green Mill and are going to get our own YMCA soon. I am looking forward to that. A warm pool for rehab.

Greetings from Minnesota.
      Jan
      CIDP Jan 2006

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2006 at 12:23 pm

I live in Sylvania, Ohio. Born and raised here. We are next to the well known city of Toledo, home of The Toledo Mud Hens and childhood homes of Jamie Farr and Katie Holmes, and others. We are just north of Findlay, home of Big Ben Rothelisberger(sp?), get better Ben! And we are 1 hour and 45 mins west of the greatest park in the states-Cedar Point. Sylvania is located about 15 mins west of Lake Erie, a Great Lakes lake, known for its walleye fishing, and just north of the Maumee River, also known for great walleye, bass, and white bass fishing. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2006 at 2:23 pm

Dear Friends:

I live in Oregon City, Oregon. Oregon City is the end of the Oregon trail and was settled by hardy pioneers. The pioneering spirit is still alive and well in our city and is always in the mind of the residents. Oregon City is built upon three sets of cliffs and is resembles a set of stairs. Oregon City has more people that take walks for fun and exercise than anywhere I have ever seen. Walking up the cliffside paths is pretty challenging and a great way to stay in shape.

Lee

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2006 at 5:11 pm

NW Arkansas is my home… It is part of the Ozark Mountains and our part, the Boston Mountains, are particularly lovely… I have the most beautiful view driving home that I almost wish I did not have to turn off the interstate to go there… The interstate (technically not “inter” yet) is called 540.. It is supposed to one day connect Canada with New Orleans… This road was finished in 2000 the year we moved up here and now this whole section of the state has had a population boom… It is the home of the Univesity of Arkansas, Tyson Foods, J. B. Hunt Trucking, and, of course, Wal-mart… ๐Ÿ™‚

Aimee

[ATTACH]224[/ATTACH]

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2006 at 6:11 pm

Evening All

I live in Abilene, TEXAS. Home of the…. well….people that live here. Abilene is considered the beginning of West Texas (or the end of, depending on the direction you are driving)……no Mountains….no desserts…..no trees to be proud of….no lakes but the prettiest damn sunsets you can see from what seems like the edge of the world.

Oil is the trade to speak of, as well as ranching and some farming but oil….that is ticket around here unless you are like me and work for a software development company. The people are hard working, caring and very giving of their time and finances.

What can I say….I am TEXAS born and raised and content to live among my friends and family.

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2006 at 6:18 pm

Hi Everyone,
      I live in Brockton Mass.[shoe city] Home of Rocky Marciano & Marvin Hagler both boxers. We are about 20 miles from Boston and I am treated at St. Elizabeths Hospital in Boston by Dr. Kenneth Gorson. He is great ! One of the best diagnosticians in the state. And I’m thrilled the sun is out today.
      Connie

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2006 at 8:44 pm

Like many people hailing from OBSCURE states, I have spent a lot of time explaining where Idaho is: The first time I was in the east a person ask what is your Home State: Idaho

“You’re from the west near Pennsylvania. So how do you like Ohio?”

“No Idaho.”

“Oh Iowa where they grow Corn?”

“We are closer to California.”

“Oh, thats nice.”

There are exceptions, of course. In France, my inlaws, had never heard of Idaho, so I told them it’s in the West. This prompted the question: “Are you a cowboy and do you still fight with the indians?” They were quite disappointed that I did not ride a horse to school. To avoid the pointless explanations, now I tell foreigners and easterns that Idaho is near California, which is only technically true but generally met with wide-eyed nods of approval. Then they ask if I’m a drug dealer.

To clear up the many misconceptions about Idaho, widely considered the least-cool western state, I felt compelled to mine a few nuggets about the Gem State.

#1. You Eat More Idaho Potatoes Than We Do. Unless we know a potatoe farmer, and we do….

Curiosity of curiosities! Irony of ironies! We don’t eat Idaho potatoes!

For a state so justly famous for potatoes, it is sad that nary an Idahoan has eaten an actual Idaho potato unless it has first been sent to Pennsylvania to be processed and repackaged as instant mashed potatoes. The reason here is the same old bottom line that manages to screw the justice out of most situations — the almighty dollar. It is more profitable to sell Idaho potatoes outside Idaho to large corporations like McDonald’s and Ore-Ida. (Ore-Ida despite being a mash-up of “Oregon and Idaho” is actually a division of Heinz in Pittsburgh, Pa.) This creates a market vacuum within Idaho. We support potato farmers in Maine, Washington and California, where most of our potatoes come from.

#2. We Play Football on a Blue Field.

The mighty Broncos of Boise State University play on the world’s only radical, other-worldly blue field. WHY??? The quality of color selection was affirmed by Mother Nature shortly after its installation in 1986 when passing flocks of migrating geese repeatedly landed in accidental mass suicides, apparently mistaking the field for a beautiful blue lake. Shortly thereafter the grounds keepers began covering the field when not in use, to prevent the aforementioned bird crash deaths and grisly clean-up efforts. No matter how many geese had to die, removing the beloved “Smurf Turf” was never considered. It was reinstalled in 1996, then replaced with identically colored AstroPlay synthetic grass in 2002.

With Smurf Turf in place, the Boise State football program has enjoyed a meteoric rise to dominance, ascending from the I-AA Big Sky conference to I-A superiority in the Western Athletic Conference in just eight short years — a huge achievement. Over the last three years, Boise State has gone 33-6 — 12-1 and 13-1 in the last two seasons — averaging 42 points per contest. That’s better than all three of the most recent National Champions USC (29-9), Ohio State (32-7), and LSU (31-9). Argue all you want that Boise State is in a weak conference. It’s trash talk coming from BCS school riff-raff afraid to lose to a mid-major.

They know, as the facts show, that Boise State doesn’t lose at home on the menacing blue field turf.

#3. Our Mountains Are Greater Than Our Plains.

Right after we’ve tabled the “potato conversation” the next thing people say about Idaho is how boring it must have been to grow up in the Midwest or how they have some cousin in Des Moines or Columbus and did I know them? No disrespect to Iowa or Ohio, and as much as I admire you corn-fed folks — I’m from IDAHO. We’re in the West, west of Montana even, a state widely recognized as being Western. Lakes, fishing and hunting atract many from all states because contrary to our reputation for Great Plains, we’re in the Rocky Mountains. Right. Totally not at all in the Midwest.

#4. We don’t mind being the butt of jokes … as long as it keeps YOU out of OUR state.
      We could point out our notable contributions to contemporary Americana, the destination ski resort (Sun Valley), television, and the freeze dried vegetable, but that wouldn’t be Idaho’s style. We wouldn’t want to attract the attention.

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2006 at 10:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I live on Hindmarsh Island in south Australia. The island has salt water on one side and fresh water on the other. I live near the mouth of Australias largest river “The Murray-Darling”. It is a beautiful place to live. Lots of bird life.
      It is only 1.5 hours away from Adelaide but far enough away to have a country life.

Debbie

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2006 at 11:26 pm

I live between Santa Barbara ans Los Angeles here in CA.

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2006 at 11:37 pm

Hi, I live in a small town about 30 minutes outside Muskogee Oklahoma, transplanted from California.

We are the oldest town in the state, but we are still small. About 5,000 I would guess. We just got our first McDonald’s here about 2 years ago.

We have one traffic light in town, and one out on the hwy. I like to make fun, and call the dollar store our mall as we don’t have one here.

People are very friendly here, when I first moved here and people waved as they drove past you, I was shocked and if they said hello, I was suspicious of them..lol…but they are just friendly, good people. When I was still working there was a man who would wave to me from his porch every morning as I left town for Muskogee, and there again, he would be on his rocker when I came home. It feels nice.

I am not much into sports, but most the entire town, except maybe me, attends all the high school football games, rather they have children or not. I don’t know much about our bigger teams of the state so won’t comment on that.

We have alot of lakes and rivers in the area and are known as Green Country as we get alot of rain. We have small hills and are at the foot of the Ozark mountains. So it is not flat and dry as many think of. But we are also in tornado alley. Quite a change from the quakes of California.

We have the original Fort here still that has functions at it at certain times of the year.

We are about an hour from beautiful Arkansas, and about a days drive to Branson Missouri where many people go for entertainment.

The next county over is the Capital of Cherokee Nation, and is also known as a college town.

We have alot of trees, and it is so beautiful all green. I love the small town atmosphere. It is perfect for me. Market 2 blocks away, school 2 blocks away and church 3 blocks. If you blink, you’ll miss the town.

Hardest part is that big medical centers are far away. Thus the reason the Red Cross is being brought in to do my Plasma pheresis.

I love it here anyway.

Blu

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2006 at 9:54 am

I live in Virginia, Minnesota, right in the middle of Minnesota’s “Iron Range.” We are located in NE Minnesota, only a few hours from the Canadian border & International Falls, the “ice box” of the US. Our winters are extremely cold, but our summers are beautiful, especially since MN has over 14,000 lakes. I was born & raised here, & my husband works in the mining industry, which is our main employer next to the medical profession. He will retire in Dec after 30 years. I used to be a high school teacher, but went out on disability after I came down with CIDP.

We are one hour from Duluth, MN & 3 hours from the Twin Cities where I also see Dr. Parry like Jan. When I was well, we used to downhill ski, skate, cross-country ski, play tennis, etc. But now I am happy to just do a little snowmobiling & get up to our cabin in the Voyageurs National Park. I love to cruise in our big boat & can still go tubing as water-skiing is no longer an option. It is beautiful here & we moved into a new accessible home (all on one level) two years ago, & have wonderful neighbors. It is a small town of about 8,000 people, most who have grown up in the area. But we are told we talk funny, maybe more like Canadians, I don’t hear it, LOL!
      Pam

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2006 at 1:57 pm

I am from the great state of Ohio. I live in Southeastern Ohio in the country. Our county is the only one in the state that doesn’t have a four lane highway running thru it anywhere. We are also a small community where everyone knows eachother and as others have said, high school sports are everything. My daughter is in college and my son is still in high school and very active in sports so I am his biggest fan. I am also a huge Ohio State Buckeye Fan (sorry Jerimy) and hope to someday attend a game. I have always wanted to travel and do missionary work but have never had the opportunity but may someday get to leave the great state of ohio.

Thanks
      sherry (aka: stormy);)

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2006 at 4:06 pm

Hey Blu – what town? As you all can see I am in the [B]Oklahoma City [/B]area. We have about 1 million people around the area. Our biggest thrill lately was being the foster home for the NBA New Orleans Hornets. I went to a game and was not impressed as it was too noisy with all the music playing and it was extremely hard to do the walking required.

We have tornadoes – when the sirens blow we all go outside and look at the clouds. They can be awesome when they aren’t heading your way. I believe we have some of the kindest souls in this country around here. Real people. Oh and there is Garth Brooks, Reba McIntire, James Garner, Ron Howard, Vince Gill, and on and on that are from Oklahoma. Oh wait and our latest Carrie Underwood from Checotah – Blu must live by her home town. We have the Cowboy Hall of Fame (renamed something goofy now) that is very cool with lots of John Wayne stuff in it. We are on the famous Route 66.

Luckily, most of our medical care is top notch. Ooops, unless you count the hospital that recently killed my father. Long story – hopefully law suit.

Oklahoma, where the wind comes blowing down the plains… good song too!

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2006 at 4:54 pm

[QUOTE=Chrissy]Oklahoma, where the wind comes blowing down the plains… good song too![/QUOTE]Great musical, too. We saw an exciting outdoor performance years ago in Tulsa, where we used to live for 8 years.

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2006 at 11:10 pm

Hi,
      Since this is going well, inspite of my “oooooop’s” in post #1, I thought I’d tell more about where I live, St. James, Long Island, New York. Long Island juts out at the bottom of New York State and it’s kinda shaped like a fish with a forked tail. The Atlantic ocean is at the east end of Long Island and I am living in the central part of this island on the north shore. The eastern end is slowly making it’s wineries known. And like Idaho, there are also Long Island potatoes. Maybe the people in Idaho eat Long Island potatoes. There are three beaches, Short Beach, Long Beach and Little Africa. There is a harbor, but it’s just called “the harbor”. A very small river meanders through.
      St. James is a small country looking town and those of us who were born and raised here, talk different then the “city” people. We do not have that “brooklyn” accent.

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2006 at 11:36 pm

[COLOR=red]Welive in the Upstate region of South Carolina, near Spartanburg.[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 8:11 am

Thanks Dave for you interest in discriptions of the area where we live. Here is something unique about the Pocatello metro area:

American Falls is a city in Power County, in the Pocatello metro area. The community was named for the falls on the Snake River Community moved a half mile east with construction of the American Falls Dam American Falls, ID was also the first town in the United States to be entirely moved from one place to another. This was done to facilitate construction of the nearby American Falls Dam. The old townsite sits at the bottom of the reservoir created by the dam. Moved to present site after construction of dam, reservoir of which inundated former site. American Falls (c.50 ft/15 m high; in Snake R.) are nearby. Offshore in American Falls Reservoir, the Oneida Milling and Elevator Company grain elevator is located in the American Falls Reservoir. Built in 1912, the 106 foot high concrete grain elevator remains as the only visible marker of the townsite. In 1925, the community and most of its structures were moved when the reservoir was filled behind American Falls Dam. The Bureau of Reclamation built the dam and reservoir, features of the Minidoka Project, to provide irrigation water to lands in south-central Idaho. The grain elevator is historically significant because of its association with grain production in the area. The use of reinforced concrete, which was a new technology at the time, lends further significance to the feature. The submerged remains of the original town of American Falls , Idaho , are located in the reservoir behind American Falls Dam. This town was an established community when the increasing need for agricultural water supplies prompted the Bureau of Reclamation to move portions of the town to higher ground in order to flood the lower elevations for water storage. Some of the original features that remain under water have been damaged due to erosion. However, features such as sidewalks, roads and building foundations can be observed during periods of low water. The construction of American Falls dam played an integral role in Idaho ‘s agricultural history.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 8:41 am

Hey Jfitzen,

If You Ever Need A Friend, Look Up My Nephew In Firth, Idaho. I Know That’s In The Pocatello Area Because He Works In Pocatello.

My Nephew’s Wife Is A “horse Whisperer” And She Travels To Other States To Train Horses.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 12:21 pm

I live in Columbus Ohio, home of the Buckeyes.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 12:48 pm

Hello to everyone, I new and enjoy meeting new people. I live in Hermiston, OR which is considered to be high desert country. Pendleton, home of the second largest rodeo purse in the US is thirty minutes from us. Cowboy and horse country up here. We have only been here for five years. We moved from Eugene/Springfield, OR. I am originally an upstate New Yorker.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 1:10 pm

I live in Manassas, Northern Virginia, just a short drive from Washington D.C. We are surrounded by trees and civil war history and I love living here. We have lived here since April 1998, and unfortunately since then the area has grown so much that our country cannot keep up with all the people and we are having a problem with the overpopulation of schools etc.

As many of you know I was born and raised in South Africa, lived there for 30 years. Some dont quite know my accent and I am mistaken for Australian, English, and at times over the phone, have been put through to Spanish speaking operators, oh, sometimes people ask me where in the South I am from. Some African American’s cant believe that I am white and come from Africa (I am sorry, but how ignorant can one get), needless to say, when I get my citizenship, I will probably be more ‘African’ American than they are ๐Ÿ˜€ . South Africa is a beautiful country, and I miss having family around, I just dont think I want my children to grow up with some of the violent experiences I had before leaving there.

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2006 at 12:26 pm

Hey everyone,
      I live in Blacksburg,Virginia. Home of the Virginia Tech Hokies! I moved to Blacksburg last Aug. from Sterling,Virginia. We moved because of the traffic issues we are facing. It is very over crowded! Too much traffic for me. So, now we live in Blacksburg while my husband attends Va Tech. We love it here. Take care everyone!
      -Heather

Son 3y/o GBS April 2006

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2007 at 1:51 pm

Hi Family,
      Thought I’d bring this up again for the benefit of our new members so they can add to it or just read through it.

We’re family, I think we’d like to know where we are all from.

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2007 at 2:10 pm

hi all, I live in nyc, i can almost touch the empire state bldg.from my windows, living in nyc my whole life, tried a few other places, fl, las vegas, but kept coming back to th big apple. i have a loft 12 ft high celings 2 very large dogs, every thing i need is 2 blocks from home, very convienient. gg

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Hi!
      I live in Northwest Iowa — about equal distance from Sioux Falls, SD and Sioux City, Iowa!!! Many of the folks around here are involved in farming and several new ethanol plants have gone up recently. There is also some industry in the area — Pella Windows, Vogel Paint, as well as ag related industry.

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2007 at 1:54 am

San Francisco Bay Area in northern California.

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2007 at 10:21 am

I’m a “neighbor” of Liz’s…I live on the south shore of Long Island about half an hour from her in a little burg called Blue Point. Originally, the famous Blue Point oysters were harvested here in the Great South Bay.

I’ve lived in my home here since 1968. The thing we love most about Blue Point is how small and quiet it is. We’re a block and a half from the town beach. When we had our kitchen renovated a few years ago, the designer (who was from a very busy town much closer to NYC) used to call Blue Point “Walton’s Mountain”…that still amuses me because it’s so true!

Even though my dear friend Liz made a disparaging remark about Brooklyn accents, I must plead guilty to having a [U]slight[U] accent,having lived in the Bronx until I was ten. Thanks Liz! LOLOLOL….

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2007 at 11:26 am

I’m a Arkansan from and still in Arkansaw. Opps Arkansas. Got it right the last time;) . We call the Hogs here but they aren’t a source for sausage. Home of a president I personally think was a great one economically . I believe he coulda won another term. (his wife made all of the decisions) :rolleyes: most of ours do! lol My wife just said (wind beneath your wings dude) , shes a great one. Of course most of you know our landmarks , Wally World aka Wal-Mart’s birthplace and I guarantee Sam Walton would not run it on all Part Time Help without benefits but the greedy heirs and I’m not even sure if there is a Walton even in a desk chair anymore. Back to our (president) his Presidential Library does look like a house trailer aka (manufacturd;) home). We can’t buy booze on Sunday,no Lottery,if the Governor’s office can’t get some we can’t either. We just had a Preacher as Governor and OMG.hmmmmm what can I say about that. We have more churches and banks per capita than the rest of the planet. But when you get outside of the city limits and open your eyes there isn’t a more beautiful place on the planet either. I live 3 minuites from Downtown Little Rock 2 minuites from the Capitol Building that looks just like our nations Capitol Building. I live 2 minuites from a ramp to get on the Arkansas River and from my house I can see the otherside of it. I see deer walk through my neighborhood. There are fox.racoon……and WAY TOO MANY SQUIRRELS some of them are in the building I talked about earlier. I live 2 blocks from the “world champion” BBQ resturant, I think they have won it 5 or 6 times and OMG you should get some if your ever get the chance. We also have Hot Springs Arkansas that actually has hot spring bath houses(pretty cool) ooops but they are hot! There are 2 “legal” Gambling places in the state 1 is the Oaklawn Race Track and it’s one of the best places to people watch . The other is the Greyhound Dog Track and it’s dying because of the casinos on the Mississippi side of the BIG RIVER. We go to a Lake thats so awsome (we actually went to “our” spot and did not see anyone for the WHOLE DAY!! ). We live in a “neighborhood” we have a key to 6 other “neighbors” houses. How RARE is that? All in all it’s a great place to live ixnay the government. See ya’ll real soon! But ya gotta go back home! lol

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2007 at 11:40 am

Hi all,

Vancouver USA really should be called Fort Vancouver, which is what it originally was. We are the oldest city west of the Mississippi, and it were a fur trading center for the Hudson’s Bay Company. Dr. John McLaughlin was the first factor. He then went about 30 miles south to settle Lee’s fine town of Oregon City.

Vancouver is just north of Portland OR across the mighty Columbia. There are two sides of the city. The old, charming part, where I live, and the new growth east and north. With the next annexation that direction, we will become the second largest city in Washington. Ugh!!

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Nate,his brother and my Husband and I are near San Diego, CA.
      It’s a small town inland from San Diego, kind of rural, lots of lakes but close enough to the coast to get there in 20 minutes on the freeway. There’s plenty to do here and lots of casinos within 30 minutes.
      Nate, GBS diagnosed 1-6-06
      Home 9-30-06

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2007 at 2:52 pm

Although we don’t like to admit it, we often use Chicago (sorry to any chicagoans) as a marking point. We are 90 miles west of Chicago in rural Illinois. Our address is a little town with a population of about 2,600 (that census includes stray dogs). But we are lucky to be on a family farm raising hogs and cattle. A drive out our way from the city is lined with lots of green lush cornfields in late summer. Our little town, Amboy, claims several spots where Abe Lincoln “sat” and “spoke”. Dixon, IL a nearby town was Presidents Reagan’s boyhood home.
      The unfortunate side of this life we love is minimal acsess to specialists in the medical field. For that we head to Rush in Chicago or the University of Wisconsin. The nearest hospital recently lost the only neurologist it had-he moved to Chicago. Oh, well, I have wonderful Primary care Doc who calls me at home to see how things are going. ..that’s the beauty of small town living.
      JayDee

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2007 at 7:36 pm

I live in Greenfield Massachusetts, about 90 miles west of Boston, where in the Fall the colors are beautiful and in the sping the maple sap runs to make Maple Syrup. I was born here where we say AUNT not ANT (smile) always get kidded when I am anywhere out of New England. Most of my family still lives here. My grandparent came here many many years ago from Italy, in fact they met in Greenfield and their homtowns in Italy are 25 miles apart. They are no longer alive but left a wonderful family who really stick together.
      Get better and hope

Phyllis

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2007 at 11:55 pm

Greenville,South Carolina- Home of Shoeless Joe Jackson!The Reedy River runs through the heart of the city,and there’s a park at the waterfall just off Main Street.The area was a slum 3 years ago,but was re-developed,and is beautiful now.

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2007 at 12:16 am

Tampa, Florida has been my home for 21 years. I lived 10 minutes from the stadium where the Tampa Bay Bucaneers play and 15 minutes from the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center where I was a volunteer usher for 15 years and a tour guide. I got to see all of the shows for free. You name it – I saw it – and several times! The beach was 5 minutes away. The school where I was a teacher of Gifted children was one mile away. I was spoiled.

But as I was visiting my hometown in Pennsylania, Guillain-Barre came back into my life. It hit 21 years ago before I left and again as I returned. So now I am stuck up here temporarily. My hometown is in eastern PA in the coal region, has around 15,000 people, no movie theaters and no major restaurants. John O’Hara lived here and wrote about it. We have America’s oldest brewery – Yuengling beer. General George Joulwan – a former Supreme Allied Commander grew up here. We are about a half hour north of Hershey which has Hershey kisses for lamp covers in their sweet town. I use the editorial “we” as I live alone and have not been out of the house in 4 months. They say that what small towns lack, they make up in friendly and helpful people. I have found the opposite since I got GBS. Sad. I have mostly gotten, “Gee, that is a shame, but I can’t help you NOW.” I hold no animosity because everyone has the right to help or not. I just find it surprising. As I wait for my recovery, I wonder if I shall be scared to return to teaching. I am afraid to be around kids for fear I shall get a bad cold and start the immune system attacking my body. I know it is silly, but I don’t want this a THIRD time.

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2007 at 4:51 am

I live in the Walla Walla (many waters) Valley of the foothills of the beautiful Blue Mountains. We are on the Lewis & Clark Trail and home of the famous Whitman Mission (an awful massacre). Here in South East Washington state we are “exploding” with wineries and winning many awards including some in France. There are about 50,000 people in this valley. We are home to Whitman College, Walla Walla College and WW Community College. We are actually quite isolated here. If you want to “really” shop, it’s north to Spokane (3hrs), west to Seattle (5hrs.) or southwest to Portland, OR (4 1/2hrs) OR to Boise, ID ~ FJensen country (4hrs)! We are also home to the oldest continuous Symphony west of the Mississippi. My husband was born and raised here. (I am a transplant from Alberta, Canada ๐Ÿ™‚ )

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2007 at 6:10 am

I live in a small town called Warwick in Queensland, Australia. We are 2 hrs from the capital city Brisbane (where we moved from 2 years ago). Warwick is known as the Rose and Rodeo city .. famous for, you guessed it, its roses and its rodeo. Roses because it is the only place in queensland cold enough to grow them (minus 7 is common overnight in winter … not that cold compared to some places but we are largely tropical climate!) It is a nice quiet country town with enough facilities to never have to leave town if you dont want to. I was city born and bred (Melbourne which is the 2nd largest city in Aus after Sydney)so slowly becoming more country-fied.

I spent 6 months in the US as an exchange student so have heard of some of the places you guyes live. I was in Bellingham, WA up near the Canadian border (aldo bloody cold in winter)

it is fun to read where everyone is from and what places are famous for

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2007 at 9:42 pm

I live in Central New Jersey. No wonder I can’t find any neurologists out this way with experiece – no one seems to live out here.

By the way, all of the jokes about New Jersy being geographically described by “which exit off the turnpike” you happen to live – well that’s true, but we are an hour from NYC and an hour and a bit from Philadelphia and an hour from the coast.

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2007 at 10:18 pm

๐Ÿ˜‰ [FONT=”Century Gothic”]I live out in a rural area of Ky, 46 miles southeast of Louisville. Every time my wife has a problem & has to go to the hospital, there’s no other choice other than to take her to Louisville Ky. The hospital in the town nearby couldn’t even diagnose a diseased gall bladder in 2000. They failed 4 times on this, that’s where her problems started from.[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      February 14, 2007 at 10:26 am

There is an Amboy Washington, just north of us, in the same county. It too, is small and rural. It was a logging community when timber ruled the world. Now it is small farms and commuters to Portland / Vancouver.

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2007 at 11:33 pm

Sometimes these get buried, but I think it’s nice sharing with our family members about where we live, so I brought it up again.

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2007 at 10:16 am

Thanks Liz for bring this up! Its interesting to see where everyone is from.

I was born and wed in Michigan. Originally I grew up on a farm in the Thumb of Michigan. (Lower Michigan is shaped like a mitten) I lived about 10 miles from Lake Huron. I grew up and went to college for a Registered nurse and married the love of my life. (We will celebrate 20 years this month)

We now live in Shelby Twp which is a suburb outside Detroit, home of the Red Wings, Tigers, Lions and the Pistons. We have 2 children (16 and 14) and both play ice hockey so that is where our time is spent! ๐Ÿ˜€

I was referred to Dr Lewis at the Detroit Medical Center and he has gotten me on the road to recovery after a year of relaspes. ๐Ÿ™‚ I still have a long road ahead of me but this forum has helped me with a lot of questions and concerns. I would like to thank everyone for posting as information sharing and encouragement is helpful!

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2007 at 5:42 pm

Hi everyone I too, like Norb, lived in Ft. Collins, CO before moving to Spartanburg, SC. The snow was hard to handle in a wheelchair so we moved South. Really like South Carolina.

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2007 at 7:22 pm

[COLOR=red]I agree with Stu, I really like SC, although I do miss the Jersey Shore![/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
      [IMG]http://www.sconfire.com/patches/spartanburg_spartanburg-PSD.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2007 at 9:41 pm

I was born, raised, married and live in Sylvania, Ohio. i guess i’m a home body:D but i have traveled all over the continental U.S. except Alaska(maybe someday). ๐Ÿ™‚ my hubby is from the same city, and both sets of parents live here and are 1 and 1 1/2 miles from us. actually my hubby’s family use to live 1 block away from me when we were kids.

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2007 at 10:22 am

Wow… I feel like I’m on vacation. Thanks for sharing!

We live in Muskego, Wisconsin, just a hop and skip from Milwaukee. We love Lake Michigan! On Saturday we were in Door County (in the thumb of wisconsin), climbing the towers of all the lighthouses for their famous lighthouse walk weekend. The woods in the parks were a sea of forget-me-nots that looks like puple mist over the ground. I’ve never seen anything so beautiful.

Besides The Brewers, The Bucks, The Wave, and The Admirals, Milwaukee is big in the fine arts. We are lucky to have a ballet, symphony, art museum and various other museums. Free tours at Miller brewing and Sprecher are always a hit.

There are plenty of Harleys on the streets.

May might be 80 degrees or a snow storm. We never know what the weather will give us.

Milwaukee County (West Allis) is the home of one of our nation’s two olympic size ice ovals where our son is a speed skater and our daughter figure skates.

We homeschool and love it.

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2007 at 7:24 am

Hi I’m from Australia I live in a little town called Rutherglen with a POP of around 3500 It is known as the wine country. it is a very wonderful Town anybody and everybody helps eachother without a second thought