Another round of IVIg treatments

• June 6, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Under my new doctor I had a 5 day round of IVIg starting May 1st.

That treatment returned much of my core strength, stamina, and general well being.

It didn’t seem to help the pain in my feet, the numbness in my lower legs, or the numbness in my hands as much as I hoped. Don’t get me wrong, the ability to lift at work, cut the grass, and even play golf is giant stride forward!

In the last couple of days, though, my hands and legs seemed to be worsening as this treatment approached.

Hopefully my now monthly treatments will turn them around.

My guess is that my previous neurologist, by allowing me to go 4 months between IVIg treatments let the demyelination process start again, and that set me back pretty far.

From your experience, how long did the IVIG treatments take to fix the more damaged spots in your hands and feet?

• June 6, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Let me phrase that question better. For those in a monthly/5-6 regimen of IVIg, what progress did you make and how long did it take.

• B
      June 8, 2017 at 1:21 am

I think others may pipe in with more specific and medical answers. Since no one has answered yet, I’ll offer my two cents. My neurologist says it takes 6 months to effectively evaluate if IVIG is working. But my understanding is that the IVIG doesn’t repair the nerves, it hopefully stops your body from attacking them so that they can heal. The myelin can repair fairly quickly, but if you had axon damage it can take much longer. I’ve heard that axonscan heal over two years, and after that point you would probably plateau.

For me, I am overall better with IVIG than without (dx 11/16), but my area of original sensory nerve damage (from 2/16) has not recovered.