anaphylactic reaction

• Anonymous
      January 21, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Any one had IVIG and had an allergic reaction to it, or the preservatives? What were your symptoms, how long did they last, and what treatment were you given to reduce symptoms? (aseptic meningitis?) :confused:

• Anonymous
      January 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I don’t think it’s uncommon at all to have a reaction to IVIG – the headaches in particular. My daughter rec’d IVIG for several years and always received a pre-medication (not sure what without digging out her records) to help prevent any reaction. We also always had prednisone on hand in case of a severe reaction afterwards although we never had to use it. She occasionally had headaches but I learned that if I kept her on Motrin for 2-3 days after an infusion she didn’t have any problems. I was told that alot of the time the reaction is cased by the whatever base solution the immonoglobulin (sp?) is in …so if someone has problems with one IVIG product they can try a different product until they find one that works best for them. Speed of the infusion can also impact how your react…slowing it down the rate of infusion can help. Tons of liquids before and after can also help prevent the headache. Good luck!

• Anonymous
      January 21, 2010 at 11:54 pm

[QUOTE=pwkms44]I don’t think it’s uncommon at all to have a reaction to IVIG – the headaches in particular. My daughter rec’d IVIG for several years and always received a pre-medication (not sure what without digging out her records) to help prevent any reaction. We also always had prednisone on hand in case of a severe reaction afterwards although we never had to use it. She occasionally had headaches but I learned that if I kept her on Motrin for 2-3 days after an infusion she didn’t have any problems. I was told that alot of the time the reaction is cased by the whatever base solution the immonoglobulin (sp?) is in …so if someone has problems with one IVIG product they can try a different product until they find one that works best for them. Speed of the infusion can also impact how your react…slowing it down the rate of infusion can help. Tons of liquids before and after can also help prevent the headache. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Did lots of liquids, pre-med with Benadryl, and motrin. When infusion was under 75 it seemed okay….higher, bad back labor like pains, severe head pain, kidney pain, extreme weakness, elevated heart rate and blood pressure, and major breathing issues…..some symptoms are still persisting 3 weeks later! Ugh!

• January 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I had a reaction that was classified as “anaphylactic”. We now use an immune globulin that is lactose free (gammunex), pre-medicate and run at a max of 50 mml per hour. No problems whatsoever and as an added benefit no post infusion headaches or just feeling dumpy.

• Anonymous
      January 22, 2010 at 9:52 pm

J. Dennison.. Hi… I am a bit concerned about the issues you are having.. Something is not agreeing with you.. I did have some kidney/back pain a little.. and headaches a little……. Some of the other symptoms sound like you are having ongoing issues of cidp/allergic/ or other…. I hope you are discussing with neuro’s….

I actually quit taking pre meds and for me, I feel I had reduced side effects and got thru things better.. I drank a lot of liquids before/during/after.. I’m done now with ivig, and at the time I was on ivig and methylpred….

This may/may not work for others!

A fellow in the infusion center who had cidp told me that’s what he did (he is on this forum from time to time). So I tried it, and I liked it!

• Anonymous
      January 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm

that is not an anafalaxis reaction but it is a interaction. I get the same reaction from various things. anafalaxis would be like hives and clsed up throat. I would head this warning and look further into it.

• Anonymous
      January 22, 2010 at 11:17 pm

It sounds like you were infused too quickly. The nurses should have recognized your issues & immediately slowed your infusion down or even stopped it for awhile until you were stabilized.

It sounds like you received poor care. Any nurse with knowledge of IVIG would recognize you were having a reaction & they would have known what to do with your infusion.

Were your vitals taken every 15 minutes for the 1st hour & then every 30 minutes thereafter? When getting IVIG your vitals should be taken every single time the pump ramps up. At the first sign of ANY of the symptoms you listed the infusion should have been slowed or stopped.

You are very lucky you didn’t have a stroke. If IVIG isn’t infused properly & the patient isn’t monitored properly a stroke can happen. That’s why IVIG should ONLY be administered by a trained nurse & why the patient should be monitored throughout the infusion.

Kelly