AFO question?

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2008 at 6:44 am

I have a question about AFO’s that I heard Julie talk about! I know it has something to do with helping a person walk better. Is it a certain kind of leg brace? Not really sure what AFO’s are and what they are for?
      Reason asking is my mother has a neuropathy problem in her legs but has arthritis really bad also in her knees. She had knee replacement in one leg several years ago but had a really bad time with that surgery. She was in her early 60’s when she got the replacement and her health is not all that great.
      Now she is 73 with other health issues like neuropathy and a few other things.
      Her other knee now is getting ready to blow out on her and I have a bad feeling about this. Plus the replacement in the other knee is almost due for a new one because it’s been over due and might be acting up too. Yesterday while my husband an I were there she was complaining about the grinding pain in her knee. And was having a horrible time walking with that leg.
      I have one big fear for her! If we get a knee replacement done with that neuropathy problem. Will she be strong enough to be able to get back on her feet after that surgery. Plus with her health and age I fear that too! It took my mother 6 months on that last surgery she had when she was in her early 60’s. 6 months my father had to care for her.
      Here I have a problem with my health right now and really serious situation too and my mom needs attention herself medically. But what if the surgery is to risky and doctors say no! What can the AFO do for her! Are they comfortable wearing or hard to wear? Any input would be helpful. The more I find out then maybe I can get something like this done for her. My mom is going to end up in a wheel chair. I have been seeing it. She refuses to except that though and is not giving up on walking just yet. But may have no choice. This might be an option for her though! Especially with the neuropathy problem also.
      Thanks for any advice!

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Hi Linda,

If you do a search on the Internet for ankle foot orthosis (AFO) all kinds and different types come up.

I wear an AFO for a mild foot drop. When I do NOT wear it I have hip and back pain. I can also hear my foot ‘slap’ the ground due to my toes hitting the ground before my heel. Since I have been wearing my AFO, I have had very little problems with my foot. I do not do any kind of walking with out it.

An AFO is basically for a foot drop issue. You need to look at a type of knee brace for support.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2008 at 5:58 pm

Thanks Chris! My mom too has the foot problem. Her feet our bowing out funny and I think that too is causing severe stress on her knee. We plan on taking her to see an orthopedic doctor and see what he recommends. Figured anything is worth trying right now to help her. Just hope she does not end up in a wheel chair anytime soon. She just is not ready to except that. Thank-you so much!