Advice please help needed regarding a form

    • Anonymous
      May 3, 2007 at 7:25 pm

      Hi everyone. At work today my Health and Safety Manager told me to get a form filled out for Functional Abilities. I have CIDP a mild case and Raynaud’s and Tendinitis. Waiting for my appointment for an ultrasound of my veins(doppler ultrasound) on May 23.

      Well lately I am more tired and burnt out I think more since I got my Tendinitis and my Raynaud’s showed it’s self.

      I am on Modified duties but because I work on a production line some of the modified duties are to much for me. To them light duties and Modified duties are the same. Also since we are have a shortage of work and to many people on modified duties they expect us to switch every 2 hours with other modified workers. But because of my Tendinitis and swelling in my hands and the fact some other job that is considered modified is to hard on me. I have to get the form filled out.
      But how does a doctor explain to them my restrictions when some days I might be ok on a certain job some days but other days I have less strength. Lately most days I don’t have the strength and speed to keep up with the production line so it feels like your on a treadmill wanting to get off but there is not stop button and you can’t get off.
      Yesterday I felt like a trunk ran over me. I was crying after doing a hard job and my legs were shaky. I still have not fully recovered from the 2hours and 15 min. job I did yesterday.
      My Shoulders were sore I got tired and burnt out.
      My Health and Safety Manager and my union rep told me it’s ok to be sore you just got to keep moving the joints because they are not being moved enough. Well I think if I am burnt out there is not much more I can do.

      They have all the info on file of all my medical issues and today I gave them a copy of the form my Neurologist filled out for me last year for Muscular Dystrophy of Canada as CIDP is on the list of diseases.

      I will try to get my family DR to fill it out the form as he sees me more then my Neurologist. I saw my Neurologist last in March 2007 and there was no change she says.
      It’s hard for a DR to say I can do certain job at a slower pace but on a production line we don’t always go at a slower pace. You have to be quick with your fingers but if they are swollen and sore it makes it hard.

      Also I always had a hard time doing multi tasking jobs before my CIDP because of my ADHD so now with swollen hands do they think things will get better?
      So what should the DR write about my abilities if the speed of the production line is one of the main factor?

      Thanks everyone for letting me vent


    • Anonymous
      May 3, 2007 at 11:55 pm

      The only advise I can give you is try and get your doctor to explain the your situation in a way the someone who know nothing about CIDP can begin to get a grasp at what’s going on. This is easier said than done. Hopefully someone else can offer some better advise.

      In the mean time you will be in my prayer. Hang in there.

    • Anonymous
      May 4, 2007 at 7:14 am

      Thanks Jim. The form has all these yes and no answers. Also a limitation questions; bending/twisting, above/below shoulder activity, repetitive movement with a chance to explain more.

      Speed is also a factor and multitasking. At times we can pack up to 7500 units per day. Maybe if the pace was a bit slower I would probably do any modified work.

      I also recognized that beside CIDP making me tired having arthritis and Tendinitis will make me tired. I read while my hands are inflamed and they are in the processor of healing it takes energy from my body. I also know when my ADHD medication wears off later in the day I am tired also. So it’s a combination of things.


    • Anonymous
      May 4, 2007 at 7:27 pm


      I think it would be best to respond considering the “worst” scenario… That way you are covered when you are having your “bad” days… You cannot guarantee that you will be 100% everyday, so it may be better to repond as if everyday is you worst… That way you will be covered when you are having a “bad” day…

      Hoping you all the best in resolving this… ๐Ÿ™‚


    • Anonymous
      May 4, 2007 at 10:48 pm

      Thanks Aimee. ๐Ÿ™‚
      Will keep that in mind. I go see my family DR Next Friday the 11th to get him to fill out the form. Maybe there is a way I could do a job at a desk like I did yesterday or maybe help in the Health and Safety area with the work involved there. As I am part of the committee and we are suppose to help with projects but we really haven’t been given the chance yet.
      I will just explain to my DR exactly what I am telling you all and together we will figure something out.
      It’s just I feel worse in the last few months since my Raynaud’s started acting up and especially since I got the tendinitis. Then you add the residual of my CIDP and the wearing off of my ADHD medication late in the day and all I want to do is sleep.
      Also I have been only taking my Lyrica lately at bedtime; rarely in the day if my nerve pain isn’t bothering me much. I thought that would help make me less tired.
      I am so frustrated and discourage that I feel worse then I did 6 months ago but my nerve test is the same as it was last year; no change.



    • Anonymous
      May 4, 2007 at 11:22 pm


      As you know we deal with a moving target every day.

      Maybe today you do your time and feel OK afterwards.

      Maybe tomorrow you do the same work and feel like pooh-pooh

      Maybe the next day it is different again.

      Maybe each day you woke up and felt good. Maybe tomorrow you wake up and feel bad, bnut work better.

      Who knows? And that makes it so dog-gone frustrating.

      I feel for you. I try to work, and some days I do OK, and then after other days I need a day in bed. By the way, my days are 4 hours now. (Total) And not the prerssure of production work.

      You are doing great. Keep your chin up, do the best you can, and rest when you can’t.

      Take care

      Dick S

    • Anonymous
      May 5, 2007 at 12:25 am

      Thanks Dick ๐Ÿ™‚ It hard when lots of people I work with don’t understand even if I did show the article from DR Perry. Because they say “well you got this paper from the internet how do you that is what you have?” I just heard it yesterday.

      Thanks It’s hard most days lately. I guess just got to think that if the production line run fast every day at it’s worse can I do the job? If I can’t then that is what I will have to get the DR to put on the form.

      Will keep you posted on how things go on Tuesday when i go back to work.


    • Anonymous
      May 5, 2007 at 11:48 am

      Hi Sue, since the questions on the form are so specific, in my opinion your doctor should refer you to a physical therapist for evaluation of your specific physical abilities and limitations. He or she would be the best person to do that because they deal with things like that every day. Your doctor should then use that evaluation to complete the form.

      What will the form be used for?

    • Anonymous
      May 5, 2007 at 4:33 pm

      Hi Norb The form is for my Employer/Job I was doing modified duties but some of the modified work I am having a hard time with because of the speed of the production line and because of my Raynaud’s/Tendinitis/CIDP and since it’s not work related they asked that I fill this out so they can accommodate me to suitable employment that is within my specified restrictions.

      Right now my fingers are swollen and the joint in my hands and fingers hurt if do a lot of manual dexterity work especially when it’s fast. Also I have a hard time to multi task especially when it’s fast and you have to be able to be quick with your fingers.
      Also I get so tired so fast The other day I did a job for 2 hours I felt burnt out tired like a truck ran over me after my break I want and did the job for another 15 minutes and I just couldn’t take it no more.
      Lately all I want to do is sleep I am just so tired. Don’t take me much to get tired compared to 6 months ago.

      It’s a standard form. On an other paper it tells the DR why they want the form filled out and it “says that at the same to assist them into returning to their pre-injury position.”

      Well I don’t know how long before I get my tendinitis under control and my Raynaud’s. Also having CIDP doesn’t help much especially the part of being tired all the time and absolutely no energy.

      I thought about getting my DR to write a referral for physiotherapy because my work insurance pays 80% to a maximum of $250.00. But My Employer wants the paper filled out as soon as possible.

      PS: I hope you are doing well in your recovery


    • Anonymous
      May 6, 2007 at 11:40 am

      Sue, I can imagine how difficult your job has become for you and I wished I had a solution for you. It must be very frustrating. I simply couldn’t work at a production line anymore because I lost most of my dexterity. My hands are so numb I have to look twice before I pick up something. I also have to do everything very slowly. Sometimes I drop things.

      I am still in a wheelchair at least until the end of the month. My knee is still painful but slowly getting better. I am trying to get off strong pain meds but find it difficult. Last night I took some at 11 p.m. because the pain kept me from going to sleep.

      Take care, have a nice weekend.

    • Anonymous
      May 6, 2007 at 1:02 pm

      I’m sorry you’re feeling so bad. I know I couldn’t work at a job as physical as your job.

      I suggest asking your doctor to fill out the form outlining what your worst days are like, while possibly highlighting some duties you may be able to accomplish. Like you mentioned some desk work, and some quality control duties–perhaps your doctor can tailor the form to recommend that you are permanently moved to these sorts of positions ASAP. And maybe you can get a referral to an occupational therapist?

      Good luck!


    • Anonymous
      May 6, 2007 at 3:12 pm

      I am sorry you are going through a rough time Norb. Sometimes you need the pain meds to make sure you get a good night sleep. it’s the only way your body will heal. Is there nothing they can do for your hands? I know lots of people are worse then I am. So I realize I am lucky. It’s just how to get a handle on things when nobody I work with understand. They assume you look healthy what is the problem?

      Hi Marie I was thinking about the same thing you were. Tell my DR that on my worse days I can’t work the production line. If I didn’t have to switch jobs with the other modified people and stick to one job I can handle it might be a solution also. But my work place would not allow that right now. My boss said they would if they were busier and had the 3rd production line running.

      Because before I was doing the jobs I could do as tolerated. So when I had a hard time they would move me. But now “as tolerated” is not acceptable. Either you can or you can’t and since I never know what I will feel like one day to the next and not sure how hard the job might be one day to the next do to various reason. I might just ask him to take me off the production line for now. Unless they need me and they can accommodate me.

      One more question. What is the difference between an Occupational Therapist and a physiotherapy? Is an occupational Therapist does physiotherapy on a person?

      Thanks Everyone


    • Anonymous
      May 6, 2007 at 4:16 pm

      Sue, the numbness in my hands is part of my progressive CIDP. All I can hope for right now is to slow it down with the IVIG I am getting

      A [B]physical therapist or physiotherapist[/B] assists in improving bodily functionality. In my case it would be regaining strength and movement in my left leg with the fractured knee. In addition, he will help me with my gait and balance problems caused by CIDP or how to best use my rollator.

      An [B]occupational therapist [/B]teaches how to perform everyday tasks to people with a handicap. For example how to use a simple tool to help with putting on and taking off socks since I cannot bend down enough. Others might need help with using a computer keyboard if they have problems typing etc.

    • Anonymous
      May 6, 2007 at 4:28 pm

      I really hope the IVIG helps you.

      Thanks for the explaining the difference between the occupational Therapist and Physiotherapy. Now I know I would need a physiotherapy. Since I am off on Monday I will look into that and finding ways that I can get some of the physiotherapy covered since my health plan at work only covers to a max. of $250.00. If I knew it was just my CIDP alone I might have had help from MDA of Canada. But Monday I will do some phone calls. Since I see my DR on Friday he would have to write a prescription for the physical therapy.

      I told my Dad about the pedal exerciser and he got it. My Mom says he uses it every day since he can’t walk and is a wheelchair it keeps his legs moving. He could use it for his hands but since the stroke he cannot keep his hand on it as his right hand can’t hold anything.

      Take Care of yourself and rest


    • Anonymous
      May 6, 2007 at 9:57 pm

      I am surprised about the $250 limit. That sounds very low. I don’t know what the typical charge for one session is in Canada. After a first evaluation, usually several sessions are needed depending on the issues. Here the federal Medicare program pays up to US-$1700 which is about 20-25 sessions. The first evaluation costs about $100-$150, each session thereafter is $60-$80.

    • Anonymous
      May 6, 2007 at 10:20 pm

      Hi Norb. My work health plan is good but not in all areas. Usually the first visit is around $60.00 and the following visit is $35-$50 depending where you go. The one of $35. is subsidies by our provincial health care. Also my insurance plan pays 80% of that to the maximum amount. I know our provincial government pays for people that are in the hospital. Also people who can’t work because a disability may get free service also about 50 visit maximum.

      Tomorrow I will look into what I resources there is for me. If I knew it was just CIDP only maybe MDA would help me but I will call or visit a few places tomorrow a few blocks from my house that would know more. Provincial MP office and the district social assistance office. I might even call our OHIP office to see if there is a way I could qualify under the provincial plan.

      Thanks Norb for your advice


    • Anonymous
      May 15, 2007 at 6:56 pm

      I saw my family Dr last Friday and he didn’t have time to fill the form but told me he would do it Monday which was yesterday. He wanted to make sure it was done properly. He said if he need something clarified he would call me but he didn’t. So I hope he didn’t forget to do it. He only works at that Clinic Mondays and Fridays.

      He told me also that the lab work my Rheumatologist order came back and the one test was positive, It was the HLA-B27 gene marker. He did not know what it could mean as more test result is needed. I go for my Doppler Ultrasound next week in Ottawa. Right across the street is my Rheumatologist office. I may want to print out some questions for the Rheumatologist and let him know the medication doesn’t seem to be working that much. I have been on it for 1 month. I will give the secretary the paper so she can let him have it so he will be prepared for my visit with him on June 26. Maybe I will be lucky and he will ask to see me after my ultrasound or maybe later that day before I come home to Cornwall. You never know.


    • Anonymous
      May 16, 2007 at 7:23 am

      Hi Sue…

      I bet you are anxious to know if your doctor did HIS part… AND I can understand how doctors must feel being flooded with paperwork… Do you have friendly relations with your doctor’s nurse… Sometimes it helps to have someone on the “inside” who can keep you posted… ๐Ÿ™‚

      I have my fingers crossed for you… **S**


    • Anonymous
      May 16, 2007 at 5:22 pm

      Hi Aimee yes I am anxious wondering what he wrote down on the form. He has a secretary but no nurse. I will call on Friday as he works Fridays at that Clinic and ask the secretary to ask him if he filled it out or maybe he can call me.

      I also can’t wait for next week I go for my Doppler ultrasound of my veins. I was under the impression that it takes a month to get the results back. That is what my Rheumatologist secretary told me. But today I talked to a co-worker who was on sick leave and just got back. She had an ultrasound last week at the same place I am going and it only took a week to get the results back.


    • Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 11:02 am

      Sue, I had an ultrasound of my leg a couple of weeks ago and the technician told me the result right away. Negative. She told me because I said I was going to wait for the result. I suppose if it woud have been positive I would have had to wait for the doctor to tell me.

      It is interesting that they did tests for an HLA gene. HLA stands for Human Leukozyte Antigen. It is numbered because there are so many different ones. HLA’s are proteins sitting on immune cells responsible for many of the immune system functions. Some of them have different shapes for different people and in some cases are believed to be the reasons for genetic predisposition for certain auto-immune diseases. There are theories how this happens but it is too complicated to explain here. I wonder if this gene your rheumatologist tested for is involved in a genetic predisposition and if so for what. Did he tell you why he did the test?

    • Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 5:17 pm

      Hi Norb For the ultrasound they are not aloud to say anything until the DR sees the results. I guess the way the DRs make there money.
      Also I think because I have swelling in my hands due to tendinitis sometimes that may mean something else is going on. My Rheumatologist didn’t tell me why he tested for the HLA-B27 so I found out some stuff on the internet.

      [B]Stuff I found[/B]
      An HLA-B27 test may be ordered when a patient has acute or chronic pain and inflammation in his spine, neck, chest, eyes, and/or joints, and the doctor suspects an autoimmune disorder that is associated with the presence of HLA-B27.

      Spondyloarthropathies are a group of arthritic diseases that share several common features. They commonly cause inflammation of the spine; however other joints may be affected. The tendon and ligament tissue near the spine or joint is also involved. A high percentage of people with these diseases share a similar gene called HLA B27. Finally, many patients also have inflamed areas in the eye, bowel, genital tract or skin.

      At this time, identifying the presence of HLA-B27 does not predict the likelihood of developing an autoimmune disease.


    • Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 6:08 pm

      I know they are not allowed but the technician did it anyhow.

      I always ask the doctor to explain. Isn’t the internet great? There is so much information out there.