advice needed

• Anonymous
      May 24, 2006 at 9:57 pm

Some of you may remeber when I asked for prayers for my sister in law who at the time was diagnosed with St Louis encephalities, but now the diagnos has been changed to paraneoplastic neurological disorder of limbic or brainstem encephalitis. She is getting worse and worse, has now gained 80 pounds, has no short term memory, wants to eat 24 hours a day because of something not working correctly, whichever part of your brain tells you you are full, does not work.
      Anyway, my brother is about to lose his house, because of the cost of her medication, he has tried calling many different organiztions for help with her medications, which is about 2000.00 per month. He makes 28000 a year for a family of 4, and they say that is too much for him to get any help. So, he faces losing everything to pay for her medicine.
      He has been told to divorce her, because then the state will have to pay for her medicine………………not something he wants to do

I wonder if anyone know any places you can call or write for prescription help. I have called the Montel Williams organization , but they tell me he makes too much money. How can you make too much money when her medicine costs you 24000 per year and you only make 28000?
      And how can it be legal for a health insurance company to raise your insurance rates by 78% just because you used it for your hospitalization? Now it’s been raised by 78%………..

Any one iwth ideas I would appreciate it.

• Anonymous
      May 24, 2006 at 10:32 pm

Contact your state’s congressman, any political office you can. Also call the local pharmisist and ask him for the company that makes that medication and contact the company. Also they may know of some agencies that will give you assistance. Also contact your local hospital and see if you can get intouch with one of their case workers. Call your state’s Governor etc. If you have a computer you can type out one letter and mail it off to all the offices. Don’t just email their offices. Make sure they get a hard copy of the letter. Also call your local tv stations and speak to their consumer advocate they may have some suggestions too. Don’t give up! Give all this information to your friend and have him contact them personally too! I am sure he is busy as you are but giving him all the correct addresses and contact people will give him a very good start and speed up the process.

• Anonymous
      May 24, 2006 at 11:04 pm

Hello Pep,
      Our prayers will be with your sister-in-law. The only other thing I can think of that might help is to get a letter from her doctor that says these medications are vital and you cannot afford them. Send that to the pharmacies.

• Anonymous
      May 25, 2006 at 12:59 pm

Pep,

Has your sis-in-law tried getting Social Security Disability? They deny everyone the first time, if that avenue has been tried you may want to tell you brother (or your try) to find a legal advice line or even get a consultation from an SSD attorney to see what legal options he has.

I will add you to my prayer list.

Jess

• Anonymous
      May 25, 2006 at 2:28 pm

Pep,

Check out that list that Liz started here for prescription help. I also added a few. If there is anything I can help with let me know.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      May 25, 2006 at 5:19 pm

She actually was granted disability on her first try. She receives 800 a month which doesn’t even pay for her health insurance now that it’s been raised 78%, and no reason to check for other health insurance because of preexisting conditon……………………So they still have to come up with 2000 per month for prescriptions plus the remainder of the health insurance bill, plus house payment/food/etc etc. I know it’s a problem many people have, it just infuriates me…………….
      She is receiving IVG treaments several times a month, she had to go to Mayo to get a correct diagnosis, the original hospital wanted her put in the psych ward because it was all her imagination, after that they decided she had epileipsy, then she was suffering from early menopause………anything you can think of, they came up with that was what was wrong with her until finally they went to Mayo and got this diagnois.