Add me to your ranks. Dx 8-10-07. O well.

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2007 at 12:27 pm

I found this forum by luck and I’m glad I did. I now have an idea of what I have to look forward to. Most of my questions have been answered by browsing the forum. For the person responsible for this forum, I thank you.

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2007 at 1:52 pm

Welcome there Undun,

How are you doing now as far as pain or fatigue, numbness or weakness? So many questions …….. did you have any treatment, are you happy with your doc etc. etc.:) .

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2007 at 3:32 pm

welcome so sorry that this has happened to you and you had to find this forum. But the best people are on this site and have helped me sooooo much.. I cannot thank them enough. 🙂

So yu are really in GREAT hands here. they will make you smile even when you think that you will never smile again!!!!!

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2007 at 7:40 pm

Hello all,

Although GBS is not new to me as I was diagnosed in 1991, I’ve found more information on this site than I thought possible. I’m glad I found you guys as it helps to not only have support but to receive support from people that have experienced the same challenges.

Can someone give me advice regarding AFO’s and what to expect? I have foot drop and because I’ve apparently overcompensated by putting to much pressure on my left side as it’s the stronger side, I’m experiencing severe leg and back pain.

Would the AFO really help in relieving some of the pressure?

Sorry for the long message.

Thank you,

Tina

GBS 1991

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2007 at 11:20 pm

Tina, I started an AFO(velcro/light weight kind) 2 weeks ago and really helping. My gait is better and less pain. I wear it mainly at work.This kind fits in my shoes. Worth a try. Dr. Shawn

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2007 at 7:31 pm

Thank you, Dr. Shawn.

Did you practice walking with the AFO at home before you decided to wear wear it to work? That may seem to be an odd question, however, I’m accustomed (both mentally and physically) to picking up my right foot so it won’t get caught on the floor. I met with an orthotist last week and the brace we chose made my gait better as I didn’t have to “think” about picking up my right foot but I felt really awkward and nervous. Any suggestions?

Thanks….Tina

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2007 at 11:56 pm

Tina, It kinda aggravated me at first. It does get better and I found I actually could relax more and my gait improved. I have really noticed my gait hangs in there better at night instead of dragging/wobbly gait I used to have. I don’t have to think”pick up toe every step as much”. I just have to use it on my right foot. I mostly wear pants and hardly anybody really notices. My nurse/husband/others says my gait is much more normal looking usually. Do you have the metal one? I have the soft one called and ASO(brand) ankle stabilizer that wraps in a figure 8 around the bottom of my foot from each side. This is not as supportive as the metal ones but I wanted it to fit in my sandles/shoes well. 4 months ago if I had been smart I would have started with the other but I was stubborn then. Since I was better they thought the lighter one would work now. Be patient and I hope it helps. It does take practice to get used to. Dr. Shawn

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2007 at 11:42 am

Hi Dr. Shawn,

My AFO is made of some type of polycarbon material from my understanding. It goes to just below my knee, however, it’s very open with just a small strip down the back; the ankle part of the brace is mostly open,the front and side is the standard brace. I will have to buy lace-ups or shoes with velcro this weekend as I pick up the brace next week; a small price to pay if it helps rid some of the pain and improve my gait.

I received an AFO 3 months after being diagnosed, however, I fell using the brace more than I did without it and tossed the brace. Not so sure that was a good idea as the pain has caught up with me. I’m guessing an ASO probably wasn’t an option for me as I’ve been literally throwing my whole body into walking.

Good luck and stay strong….

Tina

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2007 at 9:31 pm

Tina, Your right it sounds like you need the polycarbon one. I hope it helps. My right leg does hurt alot less. Good luck. Shawn

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2007 at 9:45 pm

[B][I][U]Welcome Undun![/U][/I][/B] I hope that you find the answer to your questions here and help us put all the pieces to the puzzle together.

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2007 at 8:49 am

Welcome to the forums Undun!! All the people here are great and full of knowledge that they are more than willing to share. Let us know how you are doing often!:)