About the IVIg Shortage

• July 23, 2019 at 10:05 pm

Saw my neurologist last Thursday and he told me that at some point I might miss a treatment here or there due to the IVIG shortage.

Apparently, IVIG is now being used to treat some blood cancers, rather effectively. As a result, there is more demand for an already high demand product.

On the other hand, I’ve heard several radio commercials offering donors $400 a month for their plasma. Maybe that will mitigate the situation a bit. I mean if I were healthy, donating plasma at $400 a month would certainly beat a part time job.

• August 7, 2019 at 11:29 pm

I have a plasma donation appointment Monday…my close friend with CIDP is personally affected by the shortage and already a week past due for next dose. I know giving plasma Monday won’t help immediately, but I hate feeling helpless and don’t know what else to do.

Unless someone has spare IVIG chilling in their refrigerator now?!?! We’d take it!!

Will let you know what $ I make Monday 😉 I’m expecting enough money to buy lunch but certainly not $400.

• August 8, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Hi Jessica,
      Thank you so much for donating plasma. Whenever I am asked “What can I do for you?” I say, if possible, please donate plasma. So far, I have been lucky with no disruption to my 4 week infusion appointment.

I hope all goes well. Thanks again.