A real stupid question

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2007 at 7:24 pm

Yup, SMOKING, I have smoked cigarettes daily for 50 plus years. I stopped nov 9th 2006 when I got GBS. When I get nervous and down I want to smoke? If I dont smoke I get residuals, stupid I know, If I could smoke I think would be calm and content no residuals, haha sounds crazy, Im 73 what will get me first being content or misersable jUST KIDDING……..Gene

• June 19, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Well Gene, you know what the right answer is, however, I have to be honest. My mother in law is bed ridden, and basically only walks to the bathroom. She has been this way for 17 years. Her family is very upset at her 4 pak a day habbit. The way I look at it is she is 81 years old, only has her tv and her smokes. If that is what makes her happy, I say let her be. I never have smoked and think it is a vile habbit, unhealthy and expensive, but it is not my choice or right to say anything. So if you really feel it would calm you, I say do what makes you content and happy. You have so many other pains and issues, you should have something that pleases you. You are a grown man and know the consequences of smoking, otherwise you would not have posted. So I think you should do what YOU want to. Good luck and I feel for your indecision. I over eat horribly, I am probably 90lbs over weight, but I still keep eating despite the consequences. One day a brick will hit me and I will get it. I hope! Dawn Kevies mom 😮

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2007 at 10:43 pm

Gene,
      Actually I understood your post very well, actually too well. I started smoking at a very young age (just to try it), & soon became addicted. I realize now, after reading my medical records from my youth, that I was a “very nervous child.” In my late 20s I developed severe anxiety disorder, which I still have to this day (take klonipin for that.)
      Anyways, when I lost the use of my hands back in 2002 & was so sick anyways, I found it very easy to quit smoking for 3 years. But once I got the use of my hands back, I was bored to death & wanted something back from the old me. I started smoking again & the only reason I regret it now is that I am the only one in my family or extended family that smokes, so I often feel like an outcast. But I only smoke in my own home or car, never in a restaurant or around other people. But I do feel bad for my husband, but he does go out to the garage all of the time for his cigars (a new habit since he retired.) Between the two of us, I suppose we do spend a lot on nicotine products, but luckily our children our grown & we can afford it! I hate to admit that I really do enjoy smoking, it relaxes me & helps me to concentrate.