A few questions

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2007 at 1:41 pm

I have a few questions I need help with. I had GBS in March of ’05. I have recovered almost everything except that I’m very tired all the time and have no stamina. The thing I want to ask is about my feet pain. The soles of my feet burn all the time and every step I take, I feel like I’m walking on broken glass. I also have sharp pains shooting through my toes. The pain is worse at night and prevents me from falling asleep, and wakes me up, sometimes. Ibuprophen seems to help a little. My question is, should I go to a foot doctor or a neurologist? Also, from what I read, most medications don’t work very well for neuropathy, so what are some of you taking for this? Has anyone ever tried acupuncture? A year ago, I was saying “If it doesn’t get any worse than this, I can live with it” but it is getting worse and I’m ready to go to a doctor, now. Thanks for any help from any of you. God bless you all.

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2007 at 2:57 pm

That does sound like residual pain, and ‘normal’ pain killers will not work.

Neurophathic pain responds well to Neurontin or Lyrica – normally for the awful pain. In a lot of cases Cymbalta (or similar) helps even though its a depression med. Cymbalta helps for my all over pain, but not my heavy pain in my feet and hands. Didnt take Lyrica long becuase it had awful side effects and I decided i didnt need to try Neurontin for a while still until it became absolutely anbareable

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2007 at 3:00 pm

go to a neuro & get neurontin & amitriptiline. acupuncture can temporarily relieve pain for a few weeks & then you must go back for for repeated treatments. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Ditto what Gene said, get to a neuro (or even your GP) & get neurontin or the generic form of it called gabapentin. Right now my feet are burning incredibly because I was late with my 3:00 dose. I couldn’t imagine having to live a day without neurontin, with it I barely think about my almost numb feet.
      Pam

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2007 at 5:53 pm

If acupuncture helps at all, I think I’d rather do that than take a prescription every day for the rest of my life, especially since the side effects are so bad. Thanks for your advice, I have an appointment with my primary care doctor Monday and I’m going to tell him what you all said. Thank you.

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2007 at 12:53 am

Neurotrin is a great med for that.

john

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2007 at 1:46 am

[quote=PianoWoman]If acupuncture helps at all, I think I’d rather do that than take a prescription every day for the rest of my life, especially since the side effects are so bad. Thanks for your advice, I have an appointment with my primary care doctor Monday and I’m going to tell him what you all said. Thank you.[/quote]
      You may not have to take it the rest of your life. For a lot of GBSer’s, the neuropathy pain can come and go – or even improve over time.

For me, controlling the pain let me work on strengthening the muscles in my legs. Otherwise I couldn’t bear [I]any[/I] weight because the pain on the soles of my feet was so bad. Relieving that pain allowed me to work harder at pt and recover a little bit easier.

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2007 at 7:51 am

pw,

the bad side effects are not w neurontin & amitriptiline. but, if acupuncture works for you & you are willing to pay for continued treatment, go for it. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength