A few questions about GBS and neurontin

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 9:33 pm

I was diagnosed with GBS in May 2004. I had a severe case being paralyzed from the head down to my toes, both lungs collapsed, on a vent with a trach for 2 months, in the hospital for 3 months, and had a heart attack along with being put on the heart transplant list. I didn’t however have to have the transplant in the end. Has anyone else ever had a heart attack with GBS and did the doctors tell you why it happened? I still have pain in my feet, numbness, pins and needles and tingling. Has anyone suffered with memory problems. I’m 25 so I can’t blame it on “age”, but I have a hard time remembering things. I can do something and then just a week later it’s like it’s erased from my memory. I don’t even remember doing it. EX: I sing in a bluegrass band and we sang at someone’s house for a church festival. My grandmother was talking about singing at that house and I had no idea what she was talking about. She had to keep talking about it for a while explaining the surroundings, who was there, what it was for and after awhile I remembered, but I would never even remembered singing there if she hadn’t said anything about it. It’s like it was erased from my memory. Also, with neurontin I feel drunk/dizzy and sometimes have a hard time putting my sentences together. I get blurred vision and my eyes cross. Anyone else have this problem? It doesn’t do that everytime I take it though. I would say it does it about 8 out of 10 times taking it, and I only take 400mg at a time. Sometimes once, sometimes twice a day. Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you!!!

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 9:59 am

hi twaters, are you over doing it, getting tired, worn out and little rest? it sounds like it by how you say it is sometimes there and sometimes ok. you need to take your neurontin on a regular schedule, it isn’t good to stop the morning or afternoon dose, to miss doses can cause more residuals to appear worse at times. keep on a regular dosing schedule and increase your water intake and get alot of rest don’t over do and you might get better control of the residuals. as for the memory issues-another fun residual. i try to do sudoku puzzles or any thinking type puzzle that won’t frustrate me if it takes too long to figure out. i find kid crosswords, find a word and connect the dots or mazes are a good starting place-i can get away with doing that because of my kids.;) the memory can come and go just like the other residuals, but it should get better. get lots of rest and take care.

• November 9, 2006 at 9:07 pm

I stopped taking neurontin over a month ago. I also have numbness, tingling and burning in my feet and my fingers. But it was the same when I took neurontin. When I am feeling down I just have me a few beers. I am gradually walking better with better balance and I can drive quite well. At times my condition bothers me and at other times I don’t think much about it. The worst thing is that a lot of the time my feet feel like they are being squeezed like there is a band around them. But this is much better than when my chest felt like it was being squeezed back when I was still in the hospital. One adjusts to one’s condition along with some very slow improvement so life gradually gets a little easier. Of course sometimes I think about what I could do before I got GBS which is a little depressing. In conclusion I don’t think Neurontin is worth the money and who knows what side effects you might have. In my case the pain is annoying at times but not severe. Maybe with someone else the pain is severe and some painkillers would be necessary.

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 1:46 am

When the body is powered by nerves and muscles that aren’t working, the whole system declines, including the brain. Though neurontin may be the culprit, don’t underestimate how much fatigue is affecting your brain. It too will improve with time.

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 6:57 am

I doubt that the problems you are having are due to the nuerontin. I had all those problems the first year or two and I never took nuerontin. It’s that nerve thing the Linda mentioned. When you say “It doesn’t do that everytime I take it though” it sounds like GBS residuals to me. I know that feeling. In the morning I’m fine, by afternoon I start to feel the fatigue, but sometimes I can go right thru until evening and be OK. I just started taking nuerontin a month ago, 11 years post, and it helps a little, but I can’t see any big difference. The best thing is that I was able to stop taking the Paxil I had been taking for so long. If you think any drug is doing something bad to you then why not stop taking it for a while and see if there is a difference. Only a few drugs like Xanax give a bad reaction when stopping.

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 12:16 pm

Neurontin can have bad sides if you stop taking it suddenly so I would not recommend that. You need to gradually ease off of it just like when first starting. I started with 300mg capsules and increase every 3 days by 300 mg, the schedule to phase off Neurontin is something similar to that as well so dont just stop taking it suddenly.

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 10:31 pm

you might wanna consider trying Lyrica ?

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2006 at 5:34 pm

I took lyrica for 2 weeks and it made my symptoms even worse.
      It’s almost like the pain was doubled.

A few questions about GBS and neurontin

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 8:34 pm

I was diagnosed with GBS in May 2004. I had a severe case being paralyzed from the head down to my toes, both lungs collapsed, on a vent with a trach for 2 months, in the hospital for 3 months, and had a heart attack along with being put on the heart transplant list. I didn’t however have to have the transplant in the end. Has anyone else ever had a heart attack with GBS and did the doctors tell you why it happened? I still have pain in my feet, numbness, pins and needles and tingling. Has anyone suffered with memory problems. I’m 25 so I can’t blame it on “age”, but I have a hard time remembering things. I can do something and then just a week later it’s like it’s erased from my memory. I don’t even remember doing it. EX: I sing in a bluegrass band and we sang at someone’s house for a church festival. My grandmother was talking about singing at that house and I had no idea what she was talking about. She had to keep talking about it for a while explaining the surroundings, who was there, what it was for and after awhile I remembered, but I would never even remembered singing there if she hadn’t said anything about it. It’s like it was erased from my memory. Also, with neurontin I feel drunk/dizzy and sometimes have a hard time putting my sentences together. I get blurred vision and my eyes cross. Anyone else have this problem? It doesn’t do that everytime I take it though. I would say it does it about 8 out of 10 times taking it, and I only take 400mg at a time. Sometimes once, sometimes twice a day. Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you!!!

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 9:51 pm

hi twaters,

memory loss w gbs? yes. if neurontin has too many ill effects on you you might try amitriptiline, topamax, or keppra. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength