2 Year Anniversary

• September 8, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Today marks the 2nd anniversary of my GBS. I’ve come a long ways since becoming paralysed from my chest down.

After 3 months in 3 hospitals, IVGs, Prednezone, lots of painful PT, 7 months in a wheel chair and 8 months off of work I am happy to report that I have resumed all of my pre GBS activties.

I am working full 9 hour days at my job, riding motorcycles, swimming and walking fairly well. I purchased a new light sport aircraft last November and fly every weekend. ( I had a private license before and now fly with a Sport Pilot license.)

I walk my dog a half mile every night. Some nights (like tonight) it is more of a run than a walk. (The dog likes to run on occasion.)

I have been fortunate to avoid most of the issues with exhaustion. While I will head to bed early after a full day of outdoor activities in the 90 degrees sun (here in Florida), I make it through a regular work day in the office fairly well. My legs feel tired much of the time but they do not lose strength. Residuals are limited to tiredness in legs, numbness on the bottom of my feet, and some numbness on my back.
      No pain which I am thankful for since a lot of people here suffer from ongoing pain.

This is a far cry from the prognosis of the doctor who told me I would never walk again. Happily the PT people never gave up and my main doctor thought that I would do well.

For those of you who have recently been stricken – GBS truely does mean Getting Better Slowly. However in many cases you will be able to enjoy most of the activities you previously enjoyed.

I didn’t think that two years later I would be doing so well but I have proved that there IS hope. Don’t give up and keep a positive attitude.

I wish all of you the best.

John Graham

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Josh, you have done great. Congratulations on where you are today. I am soon to have my one year anniversary and also had Drs. that thought I would not walk again. I stumble around with a cane but expect to get better over time. Post like yours give us hope.
      Thank you
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 10:12 pm

Hi John,

Congratulations, I’m very happy for you. I have GBS , never hospitalized, but it has gotten pretty bad in my legs and arms and face. I’m in my 7th month, seems like eternity. Even though I do get down, reading your post gives me hope……Thank you

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Thanks John, I needed a good shot of hope! Congratulations:D !

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Good for you John..What a wonderful story of recovery.

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2008 at 10:20 am

Excellen tnews John. I was very much like you. And yes there is life after GBS. I have worked, raised a family and had a few residuals but no pain. That has changed now in the last 4-5 years, but I still am mild compared to lots here. Keep in touch!

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2008 at 12:14 pm

John,

You should write the forum to be featured as one of their monthly inspirations. If only folks could flash forward to see what that two year mark looks like……Congratulations on all of your hard work! Gabrielle

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 9:35 am

Congrats! You have a great attitude.

I guess we share an anniversary … I am also at my 2 year mark!

WOW … feels like just a few months!

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 6:40 pm

Hi John! Congrats on this news! So happy for you and glad you are doing okay. I like hearing that some of us get better! It feels good to see another healed and living again. Very happy for you! Hugs

2 year anniversary

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2008 at 5:18 am

well, after thinking about my “anniversary” and its significance for weeks in advance, the 20th of July came and went without me even realising it! I must have been so busy with work, kids, life in general i didnt even think about it.
      It is nice to think that i have reached a point where GBS is no longer a part of my everyday life … but i will never forget my experience and will forever feel blessed to have made a full recovery.

• July 23, 2008 at 10:26 am

Hi Yolande,
      Happy Anniversary of NOT remembering the day exactly. You should start a new anniversary date, the day that gbs no longer invades your to no end. Glad things are going well, work, kids, life in general. Things sound wonderful, i am happy for you. 🙂
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Hi Yolande,
      I too am so happy for you to have made a full recovery! I bet it must be so great to no longer have the effects of the illness impacting on you. So…. happy “feeling better” anniversary!
      Kazza 🙂

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Yolande,

Yahooo!!!:) What a great thought. GBS no longer being the centre of your world. What a great day and truly something to celebrate. Best always.

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2008 at 7:47 pm

Hi Yolande-Happy anniversary and so happy for you. I bet your kids are delighted to have their mum back too.:)
      All my best. Take good care.

• Anonymous
      July 24, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Yolande:

Congratulations on your two anniversary! I hope this next year you will be healthful, pain-free, full of energy, and residual free. Hang in there,it gets better.

Lee

• Anonymous
      July 24, 2008 at 7:05 pm

Yolande,

Congrats on your milestone and glad to hear your well.

Jerimy