2 months after diagnosis – pain and pressure behind and in eyeballs

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2006 at 10:04 pm

I am a new member and am desperate to find out if anyone else suffers from the same pain as I do. Since my first round of Gamaglobulan I have had terrible pressure and pain in and behind my eyes. MRI / CAT scans on brain and sinus showed swelling in the forehead sinuses. I’m taking Topomax, steroids and amoxycillin, the last two since 4 days as a trial. If they don’t work should I go to an opthamologist? Is this a symptom of GBS? I didn’t have this pain prior to the GBS. HELP .. any information would be welcome !!!

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2006 at 10:18 pm

sylbat,

I have heard a few members speaking about problems with their eyes. I had double vision, but did not last long after I started moving and was taken off the vent. Im sure there will be others who will post on this. I see you are taking sterroids. Sterroids apparently are not a recommended treatment for gbs, I have heard many members mention this, and below is part of an article that was in one of the 2004 Communicator News letters. Having said that, there may be another reason you are on steroids.
      [B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]

[B][B][B][B][B][CENTER][B][B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][quote][B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][B][B][B] [CENTER][B][B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Evidence-Based Medicine and Treatment[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/B][/CENTER]

[CENTER][B][B][B][B][FONT=Times New Roman]For Guillain-Barré Syndrome[/FONT][/B][/B][/B][/B][/CENTER]
      [/B][/B]
      [B][B][I][I][FONT=Times New Roman]By Robert G. Miller, M.D.[/FONT][/I][/I][/B]
      [B][I][I][FONT=Times New Roman]California[/FONT][/I][/I][I][I][FONT=Times New Roman]Pacific[/FONT][/I][/I][I][I][FONT=Times New Roman]Medical[/FONT][/I][/I][I][I][FONT=Times New Roman]Center[/FONT][/I][/I][I][I][FONT=Times New Roman], [/FONT][/I][/I][I][I][FONT=Times New Roman]San Francisco[/FONT][/I][/I][I][I][FONT=Times New Roman], [/FONT][/I][/I][I][I][FONT=Times New Roman]CA[/FONT][/I][/I][/B]
      [/B][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][B][B][B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Steroids[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/B]
      Corticosteroids are man-made drugs that are similar to a hormone called cortisone. Your body produces cortisone on its own. Although, corticosteroids reduce inflammation, careful reviews of the published studies using this drug do not support its use to treat GBS.
      [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/quote][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/B]

[/CENTER]

[/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][B][LEFT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I am so glad you found us, welcome ….. I hope you find some answers that help you.[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
      [/B]

[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2006 at 10:49 pm

:confused: sorry, dont know why it posted like that, I have tried to fix it but it just turns out the same

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2006 at 2:57 am

I had the exact same issue when I was diagnosed with CIDP, mine turned out to be caused by Hemolytic Anemia which is also an Autoimmune disease like GBS/CIDP. Just wanted to toss that out there for you. Good luck with everything, I hope they figure out what is going on with you.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2006 at 9:20 am

I haven’t had these type symptons…really just the opposite after my IVIG treatments. Right after each treatment my vision improved even to the tune of 20/20. I would go 7-10 days without my glasses then slowly my vision would revert back to my normal (unable to see anything without glasses) again……strange isn’t it :confused:

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2006 at 10:10 am

Thanks for all the replies. My concern is not so much with vision problems as with the pressure I feel at the temples and around my eyes. My eyeballs feel swollen and tender to the touch.

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2006 at 12:09 pm

Sylbat, the only optical pain similar to this is optic neuritis which does also affect vision. Your problem has been found to be due to your frontal para-nasal sinuses, it may be due to sinus infection (hence the antibiotic) or negative pressure in the sinuses. You need to see an ENT, ear, nose and throat surgeon for treatment.
      As a first aid simple inhalation of steam can be helpful ( a bowl of hot steaming water, breath in the steam with a towel over your head) DocDavid