14 Year old daughter w/ GBS now with other complications

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2007 at 2:07 am

In august of 2006 my oldest daughter was diagnosed with GBS. Now she is dealing with arthritis and chrondomalacia of the patella. She is constantly fatigue and is forced to use a cane for stability and knee braces on each knee. Does it ever get better or will my daughter be plagued with this for the rest of her life. My daughter was involved in sports and other activities which we had to limit. If any one else is dealing with the similiar issues please reply, your input is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
      A very concerned parent

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2007 at 6:41 pm

hi marla,

her gbs resisuals, namely her fatigue, will diminish, but she must rest big time. this might means more than 12 hours/day for months. improvement will be greatly hindered w/o this rest. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2007 at 7:34 am

[QUOTE=Marla]In august of 2006 my oldest daughter was diagnosed with GBS. Now she is dealing with arthritis and chrondomalacia of the patella. She is constantly fatigue and is forced to use a cane for stability and knee braces on each knee. Does it ever get better or will my daughter be plagued with this for the rest of her life. My daughter was involved in sports and other activities which we had to limit. If any one else is dealing with the similiar issues please reply, your input is greatly appreciated. [/QUOTE]

Maria,
      Welcome to the GBSFI forum, we are glad that you found us. I do not have nor do I know anyone that has the same conditions as your daughter. Many with GBS do have other conditions that add to the difficulty of recovery from GBS.
      I suspect that the compound problems of arthritis and chrondomalacia of the patella during recovery from GBS makes it hard to distinguish which is the cause of a particular pain. Many have made significant recovery from GBS and some recover to a point but still have residuals. There is hope for most and especially the young who contract GBS. Most who post on this site on a regular basis are those who are still experiencing effects from GBS/CIDP.
      Please ask your questions. There are people on this forumn that have experience with many of the conditions related to GBS/CIDP.