Reply To: Fibromyalgia

Anonymous
February 12, 2008 at 6:53 pm

Actually, if you check out fibro sites, for instance fms, it will describe in detail what fibro is and all 25 trigger points. Fibro=fibers, myalgia=muscle pain-which is always present in fibromyalgia. If there is no pain, it is chronic fatigue syndrome, which is different than fibromyalgia. Lyrica is paying for that commercial-the medication is used for pain-nerve pain mainly. Fibromyalgia isn’t caused by nerve pain, it is painful due to the fact that the muscle fibers are wavey and not smooth, and don’t get the proper amount of o2 like smooth muscle fibers get and need-equals pain. There are no test groups available to back up the lyrica statement. If this were true, I would not have a fibromyalgia flare up, with severe pain, because I’m on lyrica’s sister medication-neurontin. The pain of fibromyalgia is different from the pain of gbs/cidp. You can also find this information on the arthritis websites.
The only real likeness between these syndromes is they are autoimmune related, otherwise they are syndromes, in and of themselves. Ivig is never used for fibromyalgia, although pred is used for both cidp and fibromyalgia. There are no tests for fibro, one can only rule other causes out and you are left with the 18 or more out of 25 trigger points and constant problem with pain for more than 6 months straight. Fibromyalgia does go into remission. And it can flare up with stress, weather, etc. Exercise is the best treatment for fibro, although it may be very painful to do. High protein foods is also a good treatment for fibro.
One thing I found out about fibro is it can go into total remission while one is pregnant. For unknown reasons.