Reply To: personality change

Anonymous
September 24, 2007 at 5:23 pm

Good reply, Steve. Yes, one can have a personality change. This is a serious disease and when you’ve experienced something like this, there can most definitely be post traumatic stress. It won’t always be there but neither will it go away “totally”. A person is forever changed with this experience. My anger at being robbed of my life, as I knew it, was Huge. I was a newly wed of 2 months and we had dreams and plans . . . Please, you must give your husband time ~ much more than you think he should need! This has changed his life and there is a grieving that comes with that. And then he has to figure out where/how he is going to fit in life now.

Dr. Gareth Parry and Dr. Joel Steinber, colaborated on the book :

Guillain-Barre’ Syndrome (from diagnosis to recovery)
an American Academy of Neurology Press Quality of Life Guide

This is a small quote: “GBS is stressful to both patients and their loved ones. It is natural to be scared and even overwhelmed by worries about the future.”

I believe that you will find the book enlightening but even more so continue to read what we write ~ those of us who’s lives have been so dramatically changed. Our experiences go way beyond what can be written in a book!

I respectfully submit to you that if this is so devastating for the family, you can’t begin to imagine what it’s done to your husband. Hopefully soon we will get to meet your hubby here on the forums. Hugs to all.