gbs / mf

March 3, 2008 at 3:26 am

[QUOTE]The next morning (Wednesday) I woke up with my fingers tingling, and my vision not quite right (unbeknownst to me, on it’s way to double vision). [/QUOTE]

Ditto! I thought i had slept on my hands funny and just thought my eyes were tired. It wasnt until i was lying in hospital that night looking up at the ceiling that i realised i could see two of everything!

What made me realise something was seriously wrong was when my voice went funny – i started to sound nasal and couldnt say certain letters. I went straight to the local hospital but they werent too concerned, thought i was overreacting. Luckily a speech pathologist took a look and saw my palate wasnt working and that it was most likely neurological – has anyone else heard of palate being affected?

To cut a long story short i went downhill very quickly and by the next morning couldnt walk and had to go by ambulance to see a neurologist who diagnosed GBS straight away. By the next morning 48 hours after my first symptom, i was in ICU ventilated and in an induced coma.

I had 5 days of IVIG while i was in the coma and when i woke up i was completely paralysed – including not being able to open my eyes.

I was fairly lucky in that my symptoms came on very quickly, but i also improved fairly quickly. I got a trachy after 2 weeks and was weaned off the ventilator over a couple of days. I gradually regained use of my hands and was able to open my eyes although the double vision was disconcerting and i am short sighted anyway – it took me a while to mime that i needed my glasses lol, had no hope of asking for an eye patch. Eventually on of the doctors suggested one, i think they realised from my excited nodding that that was what i had been wanting!

I spent 4 weeks in ICU and another 10 days on the ward before being transferred back to my local hospital for rehab. I had 10 days of rehab and was able to walk out of hospital completely unaided. The only problem i had was the double vision and that disappeared overnight about a week after i came home.

It will be 2 years in July and i would have to say i am virtually residual free, event the fatigue has improved over the last year or so.

Gbs / Mf

July 30, 2006 at 12:06 am

I agree with Gene. My eyes were involved but so was every other part of my anatomy. I couldn’t move my toes or control my eyes.