convert recommended rate in ml/kg; in mg/kg

April 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm

“It is recommended that GAMUNEX® should initially be infused at a rate of 0.01 mL/kg per minute (1 mg/kg per minute) for the first 30 minutes. If well-tolerated, the rate may be gradually increased to a maximum of 0.08 mL/kg per minute (8 mg/kg per minute)….”…Kelly[/QUOTE]
for both calculations the formula is the same-

1. Recommended rate in ml (milli litres) note: milli =.001; kg= kilogram

therefore, for a rate of .01ml/kg per minute we have

.01ml/kg x (56.6990 kg) = .566990ml call it .57ml per minute

Most rates may be per hour yielding .57 X 60 = 34.2ml per hour.

for the maximum in ml, substituting .08ml for .01 gives

.08ml/kg x (56.6990 kg) = 4.54ml per minute or, about 272ml per hour.

For mg multiply by 100. But, I reckon I don’t know how many grams of solution are in a bottle of IG. Oh, I know I’m getting 55 grams in a 10% solution. But, I don’t know what the other 90% weighs. I’ll look on my box next infusion.

Keeping it simple, for chirpy, the recommended start is 34 and the maximum is 272.

Finally, I’m neither the doctor nor the infusion specialist. I’m just trying to plug numbers into a formula so whomever is interested can understand, not practice medicine.