Reply To: Husband diagnosed with atypical GBS

December 15, 2018 at 12:12 pm

I was diagnosed with AMAN 13 months ago at the age of 71 while traveling in Spain. The spanish doctor started me with an IVIG treatment that very night. I lost the use of my legs and arms overnight but I believe the IVIG treatment kept the disease from my lungs. After two weeks I was transferred to the states and was retested again with the same diagnosis; AMAN! My insurance company and doctor put me in a rehab center and I was told I was a hopeless case. I laid in the bed for 3 months with very little PT. Thankfully my wife and kids researched AMAN and talk to Doctors throughout the country. All said that another IVIG or PE would not help; the only thing to do was PT and OT as often as possible. As of today I can walk with a walker, feed myself, shave, bath, etc. I still have PT 2-3 times a week. My legs are still weak as are my hands but getting stronger. MY suggestion is PT/OT and because you are much younger your recovery should be much faster. There is a lot of info on the internet about GBS/AMAN. You will make it through this.