Reply To: Random questions for those who have CIDP

GH
August 8, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Compression socks (aka TED hose) are used during recovery for some reason having to do with blood clotting or edema or something. I wore them for awhile when I was recovering. Just use them if your rehab doctor or therapist recommends them.

Take B12 if you like. It can’t hurt, but CIDP is not a vitamin deficience, it is an autoimmune disorder. The immune system attacks the myelin. If that process can be stopped, B12 may help recovert, although I don’t know whether that has been established.

3. Take what your neurolgist prescribes. If you want to take additional supplements, ask him or her.

4. I had a disabled parking sticker for awhile. My doctor had to sign off on it.

5. Proper exercise is essential. Follow the recommendations of your physical therapist. This site published a set of exercises that can be done at home without equipment. You can also buy Thera-bands for not much.

6. The etiology of CIDP is not well understood, but it is not an inherited disease in the sense that some other diseases are known to be. There may be some genetic aspect to it.

7. Treatment varies because the presentation of the disorder varies and because response to treatment varies.