Reply To: Scared at 82

May 15, 2016 at 8:45 am

Hi Heidi,
I wonder how your mom is doing now. I have only just joined this forum, and seeing how my mom has been in the hospital since december 1st, I suspect your mom may still be there as well.
My mom spent a total of 152 days in ICU, and just went to rehab on May 3rd. However, due to unexpected sudden lowering of consciousness and drops in heartrate and oxygen, she is now back in the hospital (not ICU) for tests, before they let her go back to rehab.
There is a lot of information about GBS on the internet; google it! One suggestion I got from an ICU nurse who also teaches, is a video made by Holly Gerlach. Granted, she is much younger than our moms (mine is 72), but the video shows remarkably recovery and is inspirational nonetheless: https://hollygerlach.com/my-youtube-video/
She also wrote a book about her experience.
I just ordered another book as well, written by professional (one of whom had GBS himself) and describing the process in detail: check out: Guillain-Barré Syndrome – from diagnosis to recovery by Dr Gareth J. Parry and Joel S. Steinberg MD PhD. It is explained in laymen’s terms.

By the way: my sister is an occupational therapist and hand therapist, and actually had an 81 year old patient who had gotten GBS when he was 74 – he could walk and do almost everything 🙂

Stay positive!!