Reply To: New here – possible CIPD?

jk
March 26, 2015 at 9:55 am

CIDP has some generally accepted diagnostic criteria including clinical presentation, spinal fluid analysis and EMG/NCV. As noted, each case of CIDP has it’s own variations.

In my own case, I was ‘misdiagnosed’ with carpal tunnel and, possibly cubital tunnel. I subsequently underwent some useless surgeries.

Here is a good description on CIDP courtesy of Dr. Lewis: “Signs and symptoms- CIDP typically starts insidiously and evolves slowly, in either a slowly progressive or a relapsing manner, with partial or complete recovery between recurrences; periods of worsening and improvement usually last weeks or months. Most experts consider the necessary duration of symptoms to be greater than 8 weeks for the diagnosis of CIDP to be made.”

It takes someone familiar with CIDP, and it’s variations, to make an accurate diagnosis. Sensory symptoms are common, such as tingling and numbness of hands and feet, but usually motor symptoms predominate.

Again, from Dr. Lewis, “EMG is a critical test to determine whether the disorder is truly a peripheral neuropathy and whether the neuropathy is demyelinating.” And, “Sensory symptoms are common, such as tingling and numbness of hands and feet, but usually motor symptoms predominate..”

Here’s my laypersons take- sensory nerves are smaller, they go first, thus the tingling, numbing and burning sensations. Motor nerves are larger and it takes longer for the myelin sheath and then axonal damage to occur.

Do yourself a favor, ask your neurologist about their experience with CIDP.