Reply To: Ability to Work with CIDP

January 8, 2015 at 9:51 am

Hello Connie,

CIDP treatment used to be bad for me because it was difficult to get veins. That was the reason it was painful and why I didn’t want to go to the hospital to get my IVIG. Although I knew I couldn’t live without IVIG it was painful to get treatment. The I got a port implanted and now everything is different. A little pain when the needle is inserted and that’s it. I take IVIG every 15 days now and never had to look for a vein again.
When there are things like that one can have second thoughts about accepting treatment. I have a friend, 59, with CIDP, that tells me again and again that he cannot do without IVIG (3 days per month).
About work, I think every case is different, but I would definitely no stop working only because of the CIDP. I had to adapt a little bit, but I have not changed my job, still working in the same profession, still traveling (although not as much), driving around to visit customers, walking with them to get to places (although not as fast)… I think I have slowed down a bit, but still able to maintain my job and the same activities. There where times I thought about changing jobs, but I don’t think I could afford the financial impact that could have on my family. So, I’ll keep this job as long as I can, but I’m certainly looking for something else to do after that. I may became a teacher or writer or do something else.
I would like to encourage you to stick to the treatment and continue work if you can. You will feel better with the treatment.

Cheers,

Marcio