The band…

Anonymous
January 11, 2011 at 11:44 pm

On the old forum (2002-2006) people were constantly talking about the band. When I was at my worst, inpatient at Mayo, I kept trying to tell the doctors & nurses about the rope that was tied around my chest & felt like someone kept tightening it. They said it had nothing to do with GBS or CIDP & kept ordering EMGs for my heart. Once I got on this forum, I realized how common it was, it is a band of nerves that runs around the body (usually the chest) that get irritated in some way & inflamed, causing pain. Mine can mimic chest pain so well. I get it when I visit a lot late into the evening, even 8 1/2 years out now.

The Band…

Anonymous
March 25, 2007 at 10:13 pm

On the old forum we had many posts about what we called “the Band.” It was a feeling of someone tying a rope around the mid-section or just above & pulling on it. I think it might have had something to do with damage to a band of nerves running around that area; but in any case many of us know what you are talking about. I had it terrible for the first 6 months to a year, then now only when I sit in my recliner in a funny position for too long.

As for the memory issue, I know that it is caused by GBS/CIDP, as the topic comes up just way too often for it not to be a residual. I used to teach math & English before I got sick & now I find myself wondering what the words are for a “coat rack”, a door knob”, a coffee table,” get the idea? I also can’t remember how to spell words at times that used to be simple for me. Or remembering people’s names? These are what I forget the most…

I used to think it was neurontin, or others blamed other meds, but I now believe that it is a residual caused by these illnesses. Maybe the stress at the time was too much to handle? Or maybe caused by our residual fatigue? Who knows, but just learn to accept it as another loving residual, I have…