GBS – Just back from hospital need your help

• Anonymous
      June 28, 2010 at 12:31 am

I was diagonsed by GBS and after IVIG treatment I just came back home. I have numness in my hands and especially in my legs. I also feel a belt in my stomach. Im much worried is this a usual one. Appreciate your reply and tips to overcome this problem

• Anonymous
      June 28, 2010 at 7:31 am

Welcome to the forum and Hello. The feelings you have are normal as far as I can tell. I had those same sensations. As said on here many time, GBS means getting better slowly.
      Take care
      Ron

• Anonymous
      June 28, 2010 at 7:35 am

I remember my fear when I first came home from the hospital, I could only walk with a walker and had numbness from my shoulder blades down. I had a belt sensation just under my shoulder blades. I came to this forum asking questions like yours and did receive some help and advise. I expected when I was in the hospital that by the time I went home I would be better. It is now 5 months after the hospital and I still have a little numbness in my hands and my feet are pretty numb. I am working 6 to 7 hours per day and still need rest in the middle of the day. I am getting better but the process takes time and lots of rest. I walk with cane mostly for the sense of security that it gives me. I am told that most of us do get better and that healing can take 6 months to 2 years. Hang in there, and remember to celebrate baby steps. You will have lots of first times for doing things and celebrate each of them. I am looking forward to my first vacation since GBS, going for a week on the beach. I am sure that many naps will be taken while laying in the sun.
      Good luck in your recovery. If you would like to talk, send me a private message and we can talk on the phone. This forum has a great number of people with experience on how you are feeling
      Harry

• Anonymous
      June 28, 2010 at 8:41 am

Welcome,
      What you are feeling is normal with GBS.
      I had tightness around the chest and upper back I
      described as a bear hug or a grip.
      Got Gbs Oct. 2007 and still have numbness in the feet.
      Don’t push your body and get plenty of rest.
      Shirley

• June 28, 2010 at 9:34 pm

When I was coming back to life in the hospital, I vaguely remember stomach pains, but I just figured that it was muscles getting reprogrammed with the nerves, like it was doing with other parts of my body. I now get cramps in places that I never realized that I have muscles. Now if I get any aches or pains, I grin and bear it for a week and they go away, then I chalk it up to either GBS, or getting older.

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I have had all those “normal” symptoms. Maybe normal for us with GBS, but it’s the anxiety of what is to come next that’s is difficult. God bless and I pray you have a speedy recovery.

• July 12, 2010 at 7:06 am

Hi Susan

Welcome to the forum. Cant say the same about GBS.

My symptoms are identical to yours. I have been this way about a month. For me the improvements are slight but are there. It’s like feeling only 114 yrs old instead of 115.

Like Harry said it is good to talk to someone with GBS. This org. can send a liason to see you (possibly) or you could setup a phone call with many good people on the site. Feel free to message me and we can talk. I’m north of Toronto and usually home and would love to chat. Take care

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2010 at 11:27 am

Make sure you sign up on the main Foundation International page. They will send you some information that will assist you greatly. A lot of what you feel the neuros dismiss as something else. My neuro was greatly surprised when I delivered him the information on pain which he said does’t go with GBS. Keep in touch and we’ll keep you in our prayers.

Pat G

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2010 at 8:35 pm

numbness is very common, im 4 years post gbs and have no sensation (numbness) IN MY ENTIRE BODY except my face, i can not feel hot cold sharp or dull… i recently was informed buy my DOC that i will most likly stay this way, and that u will (USUALY)gain most of what will get bak in the first 13 months but everyone is different as we all very well know.

I wish u the best and as speedy a recovery as u can have ! good luck and relax.:D