More testing

Anonymous
April 3, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Thanks Mark! I am hoping that my test come back with better results next time. I am having additional extensive testing of the adrenals done with a DHEA-S testing kit, which is a 24 hour saliva test that marks the cortisol in the saliva which will let us know how and when my adrenals are or are not working. I am Also doing a 3 day stool sample test, looking for live bacteria and parasites. My doctor said that it is a more extensive and expensive test then usually run because the one covered by insurance looks for parasites, parasite particles or even dead parasites in the stool. She also said that we all have these in our system from the food we eat. Say I eat a piece of fish today, it will show up in tomorrow’s stool sample as having dead parasites because even cooked fish have parasites. So, I am paying a few hundred dollars to have these tests run at a specialized lab. Along with all of this, I am having a ton of additional bloodwork done. I will keep you all posted on these results. Especially the stomach ones! She is thinking that along with the the cocksackie in the gut, I am most likely hosting something in the intestine. I will keep you all posted on my results.
Thank you all for your support!

[QUOTE=MarkEns]Florencia,

I am sorry that you antibody numbers are so high, but it is good to know that the testing was thorough. I hope that your doctors can find some way to bring them under control.

As I scan the 96 entries that a PubMed search returns for “xmrv” since October 2009 (done today), it seems to me that the jury is still out on XMRV links to human disease. As you know, an article in [I]Science[/I] (October 2009) linked XMRV with CFS. Some scientists have reported similar resutls, while others have not been able to reproduce the findings. There is enough controversy that the Blood XMRV scientific research work group was established in mid-2010 to sort out the causes of the discrepancies. This group just this month published their plans. The blood agencies are restricting collection from CFS sufferers because of the [I]Science[/I] article and an abundance of caution based on their experience with HIV. Their restriction neither proves nor disproves that XMRV causes CFS; they are being cautious until it is demonstrated more clearly one way or the other.

Your doctors probably mean hereditary like hemophilia or Huntington’s disease is hereditary. By that definition, GBS or MF is not hereditary. However, there is likely a genetic susceptibility to autoimmune diseases, probably involving a large number of genes that have unusual expression (either too much or too little). I believe there is: I have a cousin with MS and another with RA, but only on my mother’s side.

Godspeed with your tests. I hope they prove negative, but should they prove positive, you will have the jump on the diseases.

~MarkEns[/QUOTE]

More testing

Anonymous
April 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Thanks Mark! I am hoping that my test come back a with better results next time. I am now found extensive testing of the adrenals with a DHEA-S testing kit, which is a 24 hour saliva test that marks the cortisol in the saliva which will let us know how and when my adrenals are or are not working. I am Also doing a 3 day stool sample test, looking for live bacteria and parasites. My doctor said that it is an extensive and expensive test because the one covered by insurance looks for parasite particles or even dead ones. She also said that we all have these in our system from the food we eat. Say I eat a piece of fish today, it will show up in tomorrow’s stool sample as having dead parasites because even cooked fish have parasites. So, I am paying a few hundred dollars to have these tests run at a specialized lab. Along with all of this, I am having a on of additional bloodworms done. I will keep you all posted on these results. Especially the stomach ones! She is thinking that along with the the cocksackie in the gut, I am most likely hosting something in the intestine. I will keep you all posted on my results.
Thank you all for your support!

[QUOTE=MarkEns]Florencia,

I am sorry that you antibody numbers are so high, but it is good to know that the testing was thorough. I hope that your doctors can find some way to bring them under control.

As I scan the 96 entries that a PubMed search returns for “xmrv” since October 2009 (done today), it seems to me that the jury is still out on XMRV links to human disease. As you know, an article in [I]Science[/I] (October 2009) linked XMRV with CFS. Some scientists have reported similar resutls, while others have not been able to reproduce the findings. There is enough controversy that the Blood XMRV scientific research work group was established in mid-2010 to sort out the causes of the discrepancies. This group just this month published their plans. The blood agencies are restricting collection from CFS sufferers because of the [I]Science[/I] article and an abundance of caution based on their experience with HIV. Their restriction neither proves nor disproves that XMRV causes CFS; they are being cautious until it is demonstrated more clearly one way or the other.

Your doctors probably mean hereditary like hemophilia or Huntington’s disease is hereditary. By that definition, GBS or MF is not hereditary. However, there is likely a genetic susceptibility to autoimmune diseases, probably involving a large number of genes that have unusual expression (either too much or too little). I believe there is: I have a cousin with MS and another with RA, but only on my mother’s side.

Godspeed with your tests. I hope they prove negative, but should they prove positive, you will have the jump on the diseases.

~MarkEns[/QUOTE]