Success with supplements?

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2010 at 1:07 am

It seems that my wife has me taking every vitamin and supplement known to man! lol…..
      My chiropractor suggested that I try tumeric as it is being recommended by some for treatment of MS. In India, where tumeric is a commonly used spice, cases of MS are extremely rare. It is also being recommended to combat inflamation. Anyway, I’ll try anything to get me off this plateau and back into a recovery cycle! ๐Ÿ™‚

• April 14, 2010 at 10:03 am

Tumeric is one of the things in the multitude of supplements we take. I think the reason the incidence of ms etc. is low in India is due to the hygiene hypothesis. We are to clean here and our imune systems are confused. I have read that people in third world countries or tropical countries have hardly any incidence of autoimune disease at all, from ms to allergies. Maybe I can stop cleaning the house!!

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I have been seasoning my daily tofu with turmeric and taking a B-complex vitamin and my hand and foot pain have decreased noticeably. Of course, it could be the nerves slowly healing, but the turmeric and B at least offer a psychological boost – the “I am doing something to aid in my own recovery” sense of control and self that GBS can so perniciously undermine.

I would suggest you give it a try. : )

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Curcumin, the active compound in tumeric, eases inflamed tissues which makes it good for IBS, arthritis, asthma, ets. It help aid digestion by timulating the secretion of bile, deters blood clotting, improves sugar metabolism, opposes the increase of cholesterol, and has been shown to reverse precancerous mouth lesions by helping enhance the antioxidant activity of healthy cells. Dr. Atkins recommended 400 to 1200 mg of curcumin daily..and doubled the dose for severe arthritis and inflammatory conditions. (I prefer to stop arthritis by cutting out potatoes,tomatoes, and egg plant) The spice Tumeric contains only 1% curcumin….so eating it as a spice will probably not give you the results yYou want: capsules usually contain 95%.

I have never used it – even though my kitchen/basement looks like a vitamin store! I control inflammation by watching the foods I eat and by other supplements. I had a friend who had MS while I had GBS…many of the same symptoms. So you have a smart wife there!! Make sure you take capsules instead of tablets whenever you can…they are more easily absorbed by the body.

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm

How much tumeric do you take and where do you get it?

I would like to take vitamins and supplements, but I don’t know where to begin, how do I find out about this stuff? None of the doctors that I have seen have recommended anything. You also read that you are not supposed to take stuff without being under a physician’s care because it could cause other problems. How do you do it while being safe? Anyone have any suggestions. What vitamins/supplements are good for nerve issues?

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Jessicah,
      I am not sure whom you were asking about the tumeric dosage. I have seen Tumeric extract capsules 500mg. I do not take something I am not famliar with…unless I have read about it in several sources.
      I cannot share 40 years of study in a few paragraphs. If I am helping someone, I tell them which foods to avoid according to their bloodtype..and avoid tomatoes and potatoes to stop inflammation from starting – like arthritis. When one compares the side effects of pharmaceutical drugs to supplements, it is laughable. Doctors are not taught about supplements – they are taught about pharmaceuticals…. I do not think anyone should take vitamins unless they have a good reference book or someone who has studied it. I have read hundreds…and it saved my life.
      If you were only taking two vitamins, I would recommend a good B-complex capsule and vitamin C. The rule is: while still diagnosing what they mght have, give them C. It is good for practically everything. But be careful if you are on a blood thinner like coumadin. Also be careful of vitamin K.
      Let me know if you are serious about finding out about supplements…if would be easier to talk over the phone….and we could also discuss ARMAND ASSANTE!!

• April 14, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Jessica!!!
      We have to meet!! I’ll bring you all the paperwork with all the tests this naturopath did. It tests every vitamin, mineral, tsh uptake whatever you can imagine and then everything is considered and the supplements are given accordinly. The reports are high tech, made for you to understand the how and why of the cause of each result and what is necessary to balance it. Or, you could just make an appointment with him (algonquin) Pm me if you want to talk about it.
      DAwn

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2010 at 11:43 am

Dawn,

Yes, we do have to meet since we are so close and you have so much knowledge. Next time I am going to my in-laws, I will let you know. My little guy has to have his tonsils and adenoids out the last week of April so it might be a little while. I am nervous because of your Kev, but my son has “severe” sleep apnea so it can’t be avoided.

Carolyn,

I was going to email you today!!! Guess who guest starred on a show my husband was watching last night and he told me about it and rewound it so I could see him…ARMAND! I have bad news though. He looks like he put some weight on, and his hair was grey and thin in the front, and sticking up. I hope it was just for the role. I prefer to think of him young, with his beautiful hair and so suave…….:)

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Dawn,

Sorry to hijack this thread again, but I saw that Bon Jovi and Kid Rock are going to be in concert at Soldier Field, I think…

• April 15, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I would die to see Kid Rock, none of my friends would go. They think there is something wrong with me because he looks so dirty. OMG, he is so HOTTTTTTTTTTT. Bon Jovi is a little girly for me. He would probably spend more time on his hair than me!! Do you want to go to see Kid Rock with me? Is it LaLa Palooza? We HAVE to hook up woman!!

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I’m gonna get that bucket of cold water again if this keeps up! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Jessicah….I think when you see someone young/handsome and then watch them age, you can still see the sexy qualities in them…at least I can!
      Have you watched Nathan Fillion on the tv show CASTLE?? yummy

MallardDrake, oooops! Sorry, Ducky! But we women need these escapism moments of BLISS…….. very healing…..and no side effects!

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Dawn, I am not up for any concerts just yet, but I think you should go!!

Carolyn, yes, we watch Castle, love that show. I have been a fan of Nathan’s for a while (Firefly, Desperate Housewives). If you have not seen Firefly (a Joss Whedon show from the past), and you are a Nathan Fillion fan, I highly recommend it!

Sorry, Mallard Drake. I guess there should be some gender threads on here! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Jessicah,
      You mentioned Desperate Housewives….the character, Andrew, who is the son of Bree, was a student of mine when he was in sixth grade. He would take a month off and go out to Hollywood with his mom and older brother, Chris, whom I also taught, to audition for roles. I taught him Gifted Math and Gifted Science…so I had him for half the day. What’s funny is that I jokingly told him to say HI to me whe he was accepting his Academy Award…..turns out when the show won, he was elected to give the acceptance speech. No, he didn’t say Hi….not that I expected it…I was just surprised to see him up there. His character is a lot like Shawn…..could see that little imp in him.
      We can’t get angry at MallardDrake….he just bought a round in the Tavern on Saturday…a scotch drinker….good taste.
      NOw to keep this reply on the subject of this thread…I remembered today that when I had GBS the first time, I was in Florida for a week and got something more than a tan… looked like a piece of furniture…That brown….and I am a blonde…..it looked weird…..it was my adrenals that were shot……so using that info, I took adrenal extract and that turned my healing around…I saw a major difference in two days..blood pressure went down and other symptoms went away .but I had to take 12 tablets…..my doctor said that I was not absorbing all of it…that’s why I needed 12……I thought he wuld frekk out, but he said if I had gotten more paralysis, he would have put me in the hospital and given me that through an IV…..along with vitamin C.
      A medical Intuitive, Carolyn