AFO’s

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Hello guys,

Well it’s official; by not wearing an AFO, I’ve put an enormous burden on my back as well as other muscles, which is causing a great deal of pain. I’m scheduled to go on a medical leave of absence for rather intense physical therapy. Since I’ve been walking improperly for almost 18 years, basically, I have to learn how to walk….again. We’re also hoping this will allow time for me to become accustomed to wearing the AFO since I walk quite a bit at work; my desk is at least 1/8th of a mile from the entrance, if not longer.

I also have to wear an SI belt. Not sure if I’ll have to wear it long term, but it was definitely advised that I get one post haste.

I’m hoping to get a bit of feedback from those who didn’t immediately use an AFO after their initial diagnosis; however, I’m certainly open to any suggestions. ๐Ÿ™‚

For instance, how long do you think it will take to become accustomed to wearing one? I’m already freaking out a bit about stairs and stepping up and down from curbs.

I appreciate all comments/advice!!

Take care,

Tina

• March 7, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Hi Tina Girl!!
      Awesome you got the disability! I remember there was a thread on here maybe 3 years ago about really cool looking afo’s, try searching. I think it was under L.Cala’s post, not sure though. She now goes by elsie. Try to private message her and inquire, she is a really nice lady. If it is not her, maybe she will remember who it was. I will try to call you sometime this week! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Hey Dawny!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Yep, didn’t have a problem at all getting time off. When she did the usual tests (reflexes, sensation, strength) she was surprised that I could function. Basically, my body is “fatigued”; guess that means really tired, eh? :rolleyes:

Another positive; although this doc is a physiatrist, she didn’t feel the redness on my face appeared to be a butterfly rash, which is wonderful. ๐Ÿ™‚ Of course she said I should follow up with my regular doc or an RA to rule it out.

I have my AFO from 2 years ago and thank God, it still fit. PT should help get rid of this darn back pain. It’s also for strengthening, gait training and to get me back to the “heel/toe” walk while wearing the AFO and SI belt. Hopefully it won’t take too long to get accustomed to wearing either since I’m only scheduled off for 3 weeks.

Hope you and Kevie had a good weekend!!

Can’t wait to tell you how they reacted at work. Tsk, tsk, tsk. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Tina

• March 7, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I told you it probably was not lupus!! BUt do follow up to be sure!! What did the physiatrist say about it possibly being fungal? How about the stool sample to r/o systemic fungal infection? Regarding the fatigues issue, these cadilac plans we have allow for massages (sorry not at mario tricocci!) fust the boring chiro! Ultra sonic therapy is deep massaging therapy. I used to get it for my back, very relaxing. Chiro adjustments are allowed up to a maximum of course!! Besides the walking issues affecting the back, I think weak trunk is an issue too. I am going to see about core stregnmthening for Kev.

Check out these sketchers shoes at macy’s, probably other stores too, I just happened to see them there, they rock when you walk and are supposed to help people who have difficulty walking because of arch issues ? They look interesting!