Hormones?

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2010 at 10:32 am

I am wondering if any women with GBS have noticed a dramatic impact on their hormones and changes. I don’t want to get too specific with all the men on here, but I have had a lot of mood swings, hair loss, drastic changes monthly. I also notice a correlation in my symptoms and residual flare-ups with the calendar. I also get these weird chills and other sensations that I never had before. I kept asking the doctors if I should see an endocrinologist and they said no. I am going to see my ob-g pretty soon, so I will ask her. My thyroid seems to be ok.

Has anyone had any treatment for this, ie. hormone therapy or something? I know this is a weird question, but I have to throw this out there. I really think that this has something to do with all of my symptoms and that my hormones have been seriously affected by the vaccine. I thought I read something about how GBS can affect the hypothalamus (sp?) and pituitary gland, so it seems logical to me that it could throw you out of balance. Any suggestions for vitamins, diet? Should this go away after a while? (I am about 3.5 months into it)

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2010 at 10:51 am

I was just doing a search for hormones and came across some information on hair loss and also sexual dysfunction. This forum is great…how people are so personal and willing to share their experiences about things people would never dare talk about face to face! I got a chuckle out of reading one of the sexual dysfunction threads! ๐Ÿ™‚ So true.

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2010 at 12:33 pm

yes… i had similar problems with hormones. i have even more now, post transplant. i am going to see an endocrinologist in a couple of weeks to see about setting things straight.

keep in mind, they, the docs, just don’t know much about cidp and its in intricacies… they know the stuff in their med books. for example, when i spoke to my 1st neuro about sexual dysfunction/anorgasmia, he said, “well, i’m sure your all stressed out from the illness and that is what is causing the problem.” i knew better– and the problem no longer exists.

you may benefit from seeing an OBGYN or an endocrinologist.

good luck jessica.

alice

p.s. did you get in with northwestern?

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2010 at 12:34 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]yes… i had similar problems with hormones. i have even more now, post transplant. i am going to see an endocrinologist in a couple of weeks to see about setting things straight.

keep in mind, they, the docs, just don’t know much about cidp and its in intricacies… they know the stuff in their med books. for example, when i spoke to my 1st neuro about sexual dysfunction/anorgasmia, he said, “well, i’m sure you’re all stressed out from the illness and that is what is causing the problem.” i knew better– and the problem no longer exists.

you may benefit from seeing an OBGYN or an endocrinologist.

good luck jessica.

alice

p.s. did you get in with northwestern?[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Thanks Alice. My ob-gyn is with Northwestern, so I am going to go see her and see if she can refer me to the endo and the neuro with NW. Both practices said I need a referral. I have always gone to NW and loved all the docs. I had both my children at Prentice. I went down to U of C based on a GBS Foundation recommendation and while they were thorough, I don’t feel like they are GBS/CIDP experts and have a grasp on related issues. They seem to be more clinicians/researchers down there. I could be wrong, but that was my experience.

• March 1, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Hi Jessica,
      When we went to the naturopath, hormone testing, the elisa allergy test, cortisol were the first things he ordered. We see him Thurs for the results, but the elisa results came directly to our house and with them was a printout of recommended supplements specific to our results with a detailed description of what they help. Allergies have a connection to hormones and how the hormones are released based on your allergies. So maybe you could get that checked out too. Elisa is a delayed reaction test, they expose the blood for 10-14 days depending on which test you get. Rast is only an immediate reaction. However, RAST gives you a numerical range for each level of allergen, the elisa is broad, ie, severe=50% of the time or more you reacted, moderate reaction means 5-50% of the time you reacted. That does not give me the entire picture. So I am going to ask for a complete CAP-RAST (newer for of rast) so that I can know exactly where we are in the moderate range. The two togethewr work complementary. If the gut is healthy, the allergies (histamines escaping into the gut result in the allergies which result in toxins which put hormones out of whack when trying to battle against all of these other reactions) other inflamatory issues and hormones start to work out. Or so the literature says. I will let you know what the doc says Thurs. if you like. Sometimes the gyne. is quick to prescribe hormone replacement therapy which has its own risks. Not to talk about too many personal things, but there were discussions on the site a long time ago about the female lack of interest if you will and there are topical hormone cremes that you can use to help the issue ๐Ÿ˜ฎ (not the k-y stuff you buy over the counter

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2010 at 1:23 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]the post dawn’s referring to is called, [B]”dare i inquire about sexual dysfunction?” [/B] i began that post to see what others were experiencing… and i actually had the “cream” that you apply to yourself– it’s a prescription testosterone cream made in a compound pharmacy– originally designed for post menopausal women. essentially, that cream will be useless to you if the nerves in question are numb. the sexual/libido problem that results from nerve damage has a completely different etiology than that of post menopausal women.

re: hormones– depending upon the kind of treatments you’ve had, you may need some hormonal support to rebalance your system– better for a doctor to evaluate. they may be able to simply raise levels of certain hormones to where they should be for someone of your age, etc.

that is what i have done– it helped tremendously. i look forward to my next appointment for a more thorough assessment.

keep us updated ๐Ÿ˜‰

best,
      alice[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Thanks for the tips Dawn and Alice. At this point, I am not too concerned about the sexual stuff since I feel so crappy, but good to know. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I am more concerned about the mood swings, hair loss, irregular periods, and weird pain that I have when I get it. Of course, my ob-g is booked until May, but I left a message seeing if she can squeeze me in. I have a backup appt with another one scheduled for next week.

• March 1, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Hi Jessica,
      The hair loss, mood swings could be thryroid, will the gyne do regular blood work? Maybe you could just ask the family doc for that. Also, the pain and irregularity could be endometriosis. It too is autoimmune as well as poly sistic ovarian disease. Maybe a small adjustment with thyroid meds could take care of everything. Something else, I wonder if the imbalance that occurs with gbs puts women into a pre mature menopause? When I first started coming to the site 3.5 years ago, many women also did not have their periods regulary? Good Luck!!

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Thanks Dawn for your advice. I am worried about premature menopause, I hope not. Good thing I am done having kids. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Hi Jessica,

I’m 19 years post GBS so, my response may not be very helpful. I’ve only noticed hormonal changes for the last 3 years and attributed it to peri-menopause, especially the mood swings and monthly changes. I haven’t figured out what was causing the hair loss and decided to cut my hair really short as it was very frustrating.

When you say your thyroid seems okay, did they do any blood work? Have you had your Vit D levels checked? My levels were pretty low (6) and the doctor prescribed 50,000 iu per week until I reached normal levels.

I’ve gone to an endocrinologist and according to his findings, I fluctuate between hyper & hypothyroidism. I didn’t receive treatment and was basically told “this is a very interesting case, come back in 4 months”. After doing that for a year, I stopped going.

I hope your ob can help answer your questions or in the alternative, refer you to an endocrinologist.

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Tina, I was able to get into my ob-g tomorrow so I am praying that she can help me a little bit. I had a lot of bloodwork done at my primary and 2neuros. I had my thyroid checked and then a panel too and was told it was “normal,” so I am not sure. My neuro is not very friendly so I am afraid to ask her what they checked, vitamin D, etc. :rolleyes: I am in the process of getting all my records and transferring neuros so once I get the records, I will be able to determine what was done. Thanks for the advice! I am just weirded out by all of these changes.

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2010 at 3:46 pm

An update: Well, my ob-g is checking out my hormones (more blood work) and does not think I need to see an endocrinologist. I have asked at least 3 doctors if I should see an endo and they say no. I wonder how endos get any business if noone will refer you to them. ๐Ÿ˜‰ My doc said that she thinks all of these problems are caused by the GBS and should resolve in a few months. She does not think it is early menopause. She said that the stress of this illness can cause all of these irregularities and it takes time for the body to recuperate. Sounds logical to me…I just wish it would resolve now! ๐Ÿ™

• March 3, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I think she is right, it just has to resolve over time. I think the endocrineologists get alot of diabetes patients?