pot and neuropathy

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Hi All : As I have written elsewhere I must get off my oxycontin which is th eonly thing that has helped with neuropathy. I have tried everything and am at the maximum dose of neurontin now, I cannot raise that dosage. I am seriously thinking about medical marijuana which is legal in Denver. Has anyone tried it for neuropathy and with what results? Please let me know your story. Jeff

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Jeff,

I saw an article in our paper about people using this for chronic pain and it helping tremendously. Seems like it would be worth a shot…..

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2010 at 3:27 pm

you have nothing to lose. if its legal where you are, give it a try.you can always go back to some other rx if you have to but take the chance. it may work.

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Jeff,

I believe it does help some to sleep. Can’t say more… its not legal in here. Denver may be the next place I move to ๐Ÿ˜‰ Also, I take amitryptiline (elavil) and that helps to calm things down some to help sleep. Oh, and a bit of xanax too. That’s my cocktail for going to sleep. Are you taking vitamins with all those B’s? I just ran out of the multi ones that have good amounts of the B complex and notice the difference. Off to the store to get some more today.

Wishing you the best Jeff.

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2010 at 10:59 am

Hi Jeff,

I too am at the max for my meds. Lyrica, Valium and baclofen. I’ve been using merry wana for years and it helps me with my spasms and nerve pain when nothing else works. I just don’t like the side effect of the munchies.

Give it a try.

Take the rest of the day off,

Rob

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I think if it works, heck ya. I know it would help the appetite…not sure if it would make you “forget”.

It does not help detoxing from pain meds tho. I do know that.

But, I do wish they would make it legal….it would help so many people from cidp to cancer.

take care.
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Thanks for the responses. Fortunately for me it is legal in Colorado though the Feds keep raiding places randomly. The state voted for this avenue of pain relief and the Feds might be better off worrying about the economy, but at any rate, the tincture I need is freely available and it is worth a try. Just as I was getting better from pericarditis, terribly painful, and starting to cut back on the pain meds I got shingles, in the mouth no less which also is terribly painful. I feel like Job but at least I have an alternative to the narcotics and other meds. Jeff

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2010 at 12:34 pm

DO IT!!! My neurologist is all behind any form of marijuana and it seems to be the only all around relief I have ever gotten.
      L

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2010 at 11:04 am

My husband has GBS (2 months) and I hadn’t thought of that esp. for his appetite. I just trying to pump him full of milkshakes!

My sister has epilepsy and her neuro (ours too) quite frankly told her if he could prescriibe it for her he would – the all natural anti-seizure meds – cheaper too! Apparently it must be more helpful than the government would like us to know.

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Hi, Jeff,
      You stated that you have tried everything….if you had shingles, then you are low in Vitamin C. There has to be a reason that I have not needed any pain medication. I would eliminate the foods bad for your blood type and suggest which supplements would build up your body and immune system. I was told that one should not build up one’s immune system during GBS. I found just the oppposite to be true.
      So…what do you think?? Willing to try the wholistic path? OF course, you could still use your medical maryjane….wink

• July 15, 2010 at 9:32 am

The ‘War on Marijuana’ has created a monster that can only be stopped by decriminalization. I in no way advise or recommend anybody use and hope that if it is ever legalized that it is sold under rigorous regulation such as tobacco products with the appropriate warnings attached. However, it is obvious to me that steep penalties surrounding possession, cultivation and trafficking have driven this plant into the hands of desparate and often vicious hands. This makes it far more accessable for minors who understand that to buy booze they must find a willing adult to buy it (hassle)wheras to score pot they simply have to go to school. Every ‘major bust’ ignores the fact that there is usually an unnecessarily massive over-supply in the black market to absorb the loss of product. The waste from spending on enforcement and loss of potential tax revenue is staggering and decadent. Western countries that have decriminalized have far lower usage (e.g. Holland or Portugal reports 6-7 % use) than those where it is still a criminal act to posess this natural product (e.g. Canada and the U.S. report 14% use).

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Hi Jeff,

Northernguitarguy has some good ideas on how to get the THC into our bodies but for me it would take too much energy to do what he suggests. I’ve been a cigarette smoker and figure I got lung damage anyway… we all die from something.

Sorry for my depressing mood today. Very exhausted this weekend.

Take Care,

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Who told you that you were at the maximum dose of the oxycontin ? My told told me that there was “No maximum dose”. Some people tolerate it better than others. Jeff, I know they make a 160mg in them and you are probably not up to that yet. I take the 80,s 3 times a day, plus Cymbalta, Lyrica, Pamelor, Bacolfen, Flexeril, and two kinds of arthritis medicine. This is not all I take, but these are the main ones for my pain. I too have thought about the pot use, but I am a long way from where it is legal to buy. If I could get it, I would surely give it a try after some research on it, and talking to others on the pot blogs and, or, forums dealing with it.

God bless you,
      Drummer Dude

• Anonymous
      July 22, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Hi All: I have been trying medical marijuana now for 4 months and it has been an amazing experience. Generally I only use it before bed, but it takes away all my neuropathy and leg discomfort in minutes. It also helps me sleep and, since being on it, I have gotten off neurontin and oxycontin, which I had been on for over five years. I have learned a great deal about the choices with marijuana and find, with help, choosing the right strand makes a big difference. At any rate, I wanted to report back that it works extremely well for me. I don’t smoke it but do use a vaporizer which is quick, clean and easy and much less harmful to the lungs.
      Drummer-I wasn’t on the highest dose of oxycontin but of neurontin. I had developed a side affect with the oxyconin which was very disturbing-at times I would fall asleep and noone could wake me up. My wife had to call the paramedics twice, and once, in the hospital for another condition, a team of doctors and nurses worked on me for over an hour before they could rouse me. It was a terrible feeling and could have gotten dangerous, so my pain doc told me I had to get off all narcotics-hence I tried the marijuana. The side affect is gone and, even better, I am much less tired now and feel better than I have in years. For those in states in which it is legal it is worth looking into. Jeff

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2010 at 2:13 am

I am glad you found something to help the pain ! I could see where it would scare you. I have not had any expersciences like you had with the Oxy., but the Lyrica is the one that has slowed me up so much that I spend half my time in bed now. I have cut down to once a day now, instead of the two times aday. It made me awfully drousey. The oxys have a bad name associated with them, just like the Wanna does. We can’t win for loseing.
      I am happy for you.

God bless,
      Drummer

• July 23, 2010 at 5:05 am

Hi Jeff,
      The vaporizer seems like a very smart idea and I certainly hope your suffering is dwindling. Maybe this is the breakthrough that will help your body to fully heal. I am praying for you and sending many blessings your way.

• July 23, 2010 at 8:21 am

That was a nice post Katy. I will also send out thoughts to Jeff as well as those who cant find something for pain and those that are languishing in prison for simply trying to find relief.

• August 30, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Here is an interesting link pertaining to this thread

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11110798[/url]

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2010 at 8:13 am

I do everything I can think of to help myself. I go to a nutritionist that helps me to add the correct vitamins and supplements. He also works with me on a nutritional approach that is tailored for me (pretty much gluten free due to the inflammation), my food is all organic (either grown by me or bought from a local farm that is all organic and range free chickens, etc), my PT has me doing simple floor exercises and water aerobics to keep me moving. I’ve been to a therapist to learn about breathing, visualization, etc to use when the pain is high. In spite of all this, I have terrible pain every day. ๐Ÿ™ I am on a cocktail of prescriptions for pain management, but still have high pain. So, while I am VERY glad to hear that you do not need anything for pain, we are all different and nothing I try takes the pain away. The next level of pain mgt will not be compatible with me continuing to work. It’s just me and I must work, so I do everything I can to keep moving forward.

However, after reading everything, I sure wish my state would legalize pot! Those that can get God’s natural remedy, should try! ๐Ÿ˜€

I wish everyone great success in managing the pain that many, many of us live with daily! And I am so thankful for those that don’t have to deal with the pain, they are blessed.:)

• August 31, 2010 at 8:47 am

[QUOTE=Linda M] However, after reading everything, I sure wish my state would legalize pot! Those that can get God’s natural remedy, should try! ๐Ÿ˜€

I wish everyone great success in managing the pain that many, many of us live with daily! And I am so thankful for those that don’t have to deal with the pain, they are blessed.:)[/QUOTE]

A overwhelming majority of Canadians wish your state and country would get over their dope prohibition hangover and normalize laws. Then our government might get some guts, stop spending millions (Americans spend BILLIONS, take that Tea Party!) of tax dollars on law enforcement and get serious about using [B][U]plants[/U][/B] to help relieve pain.

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Northernguitarguy – couldn’t agree with you more! What a lot of hooey and waste of money, time, and effort with the only result being criminals. Sigh :confused:

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Why is it that our country outlawed a natural substance making it illegal when it contains proven benefits for pain, etc. especially when dealing with such horrible effects from GBS, CIDP, Cancer, Glaucoma, etc.?

The alternative is to pump everyone full of chemicals created in labs which contain ingredients far more damaging to our bodies. When patients then become dependent or they develop a tolerance to the med’s and need dosages raised, they are flagged as drug seekers or worst yet they are investigated and sometimes jailed by the government.

It is on the ballot in California this November, let’s hope it passes.

A tip for those who need help going to sleep have you tried the spray Melatonin? Our bodies produce this on our own, but sometimes not enough. It is what helps us fall asleep.

~Cathy

• September 2, 2010 at 7:15 am

[QUOTE=CathyK]Why is it that our country outlawed a natural substance making it illegal when it contains proven benefits for pain, etc. especially when dealing with such horrible effects from GBS, CIDP, Cancer, Glaucoma, etc.?

The alternative is to pump everyone full of chemicals created in labs which contain ingredients far more damaging to our bodies. When patients then become dependent or they develop a tolerance to the med’s and need dosages raised, they are flagged as drug seekers or worst yet they are investigated and sometimes jailed by the government.

It is on the ballot in California this November, let’s hope it passes.

A tip for those who need help going to sleep have you tried the spray Melatonin? Our bodies produce this on our own, but sometimes not enough. It is what helps us fall asleep.

~Cathy[/QUOTE]
      There’s a great documentary called ‘Grass’ narrated by Woody Harrelson. The film identifies that the initial hoopla over the plant came as a result from a fear of Mexicans who liked to bring dope with them when they came in search of work/land. Since there was no real reason to arrest them weed was made illegal as a way to bust them. Then paranoia was further spread by the gov’t through Hollywood B-movies and laws were tightened to resemble what they are today.

Again as I mentioned earlier, Canada and the US have the highest reported usage in Western countries (even higher than Jamaica!) and the most serious penalties surrounding prohibition. The US is the only country to have developed a marijuana counter-pop culture. There is no European equivalent to ‘Cheech and Chong’ or ‘Dr. Dre’ or ‘Harold and Kumar’. That’s because dope is an issue that registers a shrug of the shoulders and give fines for simple possession in Europe. They use half of what Canada and the US do.

As long an there is sunshine, rain and seeds it will be impossible to stop the growing of grass. I find it so odd that in both countries, the politicians that scream that gov’t is too big and taxes too high are the chief proponents of prohibition. They need to grow up. I’m voting for libertarians in the future.