Clink, Clink… anyone want to toast my hair loss?

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2009 at 11:22 am

well, it finally happened– 20 days after my chemo blast. i had just finished a bowl of pasta and was kind of stroking the top of my head when i looked into the bowl and noticed many little hairs in it. my 1st, reflexive thought was– well it looked like when you let a dog lick your bowl and they leave behind all the little hairs– you know? well then i realized i had not put my bowl down for them… i said, “sophie, look, i’m finally loosing my hair!” then i rubbed my head over the bowl some more and, well, it didn’t stop falling out… ๐Ÿ™

strange feeling to be sure. i’m not upset about it– in some ways it reassures me that yes, i did have chemo– since i have had almost no side effects from it i have jokingly wondered if they hooked me up to a bag of water rather than chemo. silly, i know. so– sophie and i promptly grabbed the poodle clippers and buzzed it down to stubble…

regarding my other post: what do you think caused you cidp/gbs– i haven’t abandoned it and continue to read responses with great interest.

just wanted to give you all my hair, or lack there of, update ๐Ÿ˜‰

hoping you are all well.
      alice

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2009 at 11:28 am

Hi Alice,
      I am a newbie that has been following your story with amazement. You have such a great attitude and exude such hope.
      I admire your courage.
      Sue

• October 11, 2009 at 4:00 pm

On a positive note, a family member whose hair fell out after chemo , was surprised a year later with a full head of CURLY hair!!! Just keep thinking about the end result!!! See you guys later!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• October 11, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Hair’s to You..and..Hair’s to Me..and may we never disagree! Drink up. LOL
      Gosh, Alice, I’m so thrilled that you’re sharing this innovative treatment and we’re all dispersing even more positive energy your way!

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2009 at 7:15 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”2″][COLOR=”Sienna”]I’ve known personally two women who’ve lost all their hair due to chemo. One was a poor soul like me with very fine hair that looked terribly thin. Dirty ash blonde like me once I got past my teens … until then — Marilyn Monroe — Look Out !! Natural platinum blonde.

Anyway, this gal now has her platinum blonde hair back and it is still fine, but it is really really thick … and just nicely curly.

I am green with envy!

The other gal had a thick head of black hair, but was fighting alopecia … had large bald area. She didn’t care all that much when the hair all came out. But when it came back in … same thick black hair, but not a single balding spot.

So … Alice, whatever sort of hair you might have lusted after when you were a 20-something, you might just get it. Anyway, that’s a good thought.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Sorry…I prefer my toast with cinnamon sugar!

You ARE the “hair-apparent”, though!!

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2009 at 1:01 am

you know what is awsome about you? some people whine about bad hair days and you have light hearted attitude about hair loss due to chemo therapy. that is someone enlightened true perspective on whats important. keep smiling:)

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2009 at 11:25 am

gosh, i look like a mangy dog. most of my hair started falling out all of a sudden on saturday, exactly 20 days from my chemo. but damn-it, it’s patchy. even though we clippered it down to 1/4 inch, it remains patchy… so yesterday, sophie, judie and i had a big laugh by using packing tape like wax strips on my head to try to pull the rest out. it only added to the patchiness… ๐Ÿ˜‰ the idea came to us after sophie used the lint roller on my head and was amazed by how much hair was on it! so then we made art by putting the tape, with hair attached, onto paper… ๐Ÿ˜‰ might as well make fun of it right?

i kind of look like this: :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Alice,
      They say you can find humor in everything.
      You and Sophie found it.
      Your art work may become the new rage every one must have. ๐Ÿ˜€
      Your a good sport.
      Big toast to you!
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2009 at 12:51 pm

You’ll save on shampoo!! At least until it grows back
      thicker than ever!!!

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2009 at 8:00 pm

WHY haven’t BC survivors thought of this? DUH?
      At least, you know it’s not a dog’s mange?
      Some folks lose their hair, others don’t…it’s very quirky these chemos stuffs.
      If you want? I’ll go find some web sites off the cancer sites and other places which have good head gear…bandannas, turban-like things and such that are all very tasteful and ‘acceptable’ for polite mixed company. Why not just shave it all off at this point tho? [Yeah, it’ll get cold?] And wear it like a badge of honor!
      Just keep in mind? From all I’ve learned about such stuff, your hair mite grow in totally..and, I MEAN totally different! Happens to about 1/4th of the folks…so don’t be too surprised?
      I did shed a lot of hair when I had my onset. I shedded lots due to cancer surgeries and most recently from a long orthopedic surgery too. Still shedding from the recent one?
      When you’ve had an INSULT to your body? Trauma or something else, it does affect your hair! Just use common sense and keep that scalp as happy and moisturized as possible? Healthy skin promotes healthy hair growth?
      HOpe this all just KEEPS WORKING FOR THE BETTER THO! HUGS and HOPE for sure!