Beyond Frustrated!!!

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2009 at 10:44 am

Hello all,

I’m sorry to rant, but as I know others here can most likely empathize and provide advice, this is my only choice. I apologize in advance.

I am sick and tired of being in pain. I’m tired of being a guinea pig and trying different medications that have only made conditions worse and cause me to pack on pounds.

I’m tired of going to the doctor every 3 months just to get another “come back in 3 months and we’ll check thus and so”. This has been the case for over a year.

I’m sure my issues aren’t all GBS related as I had a left nephrectomy in 2004 and part of my adrenal gland was also removed. My “thyroid” issue fluctuates between hypo and hyper, which is odd as I’ve gained almost 30 pounds from this time last year (without gorging on food). My cortisol levels are ridiculous, however, nothing has been prescribed to deal with that. The only advice from the doctor is to try to eliminate stress (um, yeah).

If anyone has any ideas (other than a therapist as that’s not an option due to transportation issues), I’m willing to hear them. I’m getting pretty desperate.

I want to try homeopathic remedies however, I’m not sure where to begin. I need help and I don’t want it to be in the form of an anti-depressant because all the ones I’ve tried have had horrific side affects that have caused me to gain weight which is even more depressing.

I’ve tried to “look on the bright side”, however, that’s much easier said than done.

Thank you all for reading my rant.

Take care and be well,

Tina

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Tina I don’t have advice or suggestions but I will pray for you. I have sturuggles not all that much different from yours but maybe not as severe. Still I struggle with bouts of depression at the loss. It’s funny how the brain just won’t adjust to the “new” me–as if 3 years wasn’t time enough time to get use to the limitations and ever changingness of the aftermath of GBS. My pain isn’t quite to the level of needing medication, just enough to disrupt sleep and cause regular reminders of it’s presense. I hope that answers and solutions come your way, that is my prayer for you. And that you find relief.

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Hi Tina: Sorry you are having such a rough time. You said not to suggest a therapist but I will anyway. In my work with people I often do therapy on the telephone. I am sure you could find someone who would work with you that way if you cannot travel to their office. It makes a huge difference to have someone to talk to about these things. I know because I do therapy now from time to time just to be heard, just to have someone who listens to me and hears my daily pain and struggles. There may be no solutions but just being heard makes a huge difference.
      Think about it. Jeff

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I will second Jeff’s experience. I still can hear my therapist saying to me that what I am feeling is perfectly normal for what I have gone through with this illness. Even people who are close and love me dearly could not provide this kind of validation. It was very healing. That’s not to say that I still don’t go through struggles but I have more to hold on to when the hard times come. And I do know that eventually this too will pass and I’ll be on the other side–once again.

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2009 at 11:39 am

Hi Tina

I’m very sorry to hear about your struggles. What helped me the most in my recovery was yoga, meditation and counselling. The gentle exercise of yoga reduced the pain and helped me to regain strenght, there are very simple exercises that can make a difference, even just the breathing exercises can improve the way you feel in your body and mind.

[url]http://www.yogajournal.com/[/url]

Meditation also helps, there are many different types, you can get a book or download instructions from the internet, many say that meditation can help the body to heal itself. You can even meditate on the parts of your body that hurt. I read a book by Eric Harrison and found it helpful.

[url]http://www.perthmeditationcentre.com.au/eric.htm[/url]

About counselling, like Jeff said, it is so important to be heard and to have space to express what you are going through.

Off course we are all different and what works for one person may not work for another, but it is worth exploring as many options as possible so you can find what’s best for you.

I wish you all the best

Monia

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Tina, who needs professional help when there are people posting like Jeff, Kathleen and Monia? After all, these are the people who can really feel your pain because they have felt it themselves.
      Not to minimize the help of professionals…I’ve been lurking on this site for 4 years. I find myself returning when I need to know somebody understands.

Tina, hang in there. And know that there is always a kind ear for you to unload on here.

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Thank you for the responses.

Be well,

Tina

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Hi Tina, I know what you mean about it being a nagging syndrom. I have the same problem but I also have a friend that gets me out for rides and we talk about how we are going to get my body in a kayak. Are you still doing therapy? I find it help if only for a little while. I will have you in my prayers. Sherry

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2009 at 4:36 pm

[QUOTE=Tina]Hello all,

I’m sorry to rant, but as I know others here can most likely empathize and provide advice, this is my only choice. I apologize in advance.

I am sick and tired of being in pain. I’m tired of being a guinea pig and trying different medications that have only made conditions worse and cause me to pack on pounds.

I’m tired of going to the doctor every 3 months just to get another “come back in 3 months and we’ll check thus and so”. This has been the case for over a year.

I’m sure my issues aren’t all GBS related as I had a left nephrectomy in 2004 and part of my adrenal gland was also removed. My “thyroid” issue fluctuates between hypo and hyper, which is odd as I’ve gained almost 30 pounds from this time last year (without gorging on food). My cortisol levels are ridiculous, however, nothing has been prescribed to deal with that. The only advice from the doctor is to try to eliminate stress (um, yeah).

If anyone has any ideas (other than a therapist as that’s not an option due to transportation issues), I’m willing to hear them. I’m getting pretty desperate.

I want to try homeopathic remedies however, I’m not sure where to begin. I need help and I don’t want it to be in the form of an anti-depressant because all the ones I’ve tried have had horrific side affects that have caused me to gain weight which is even more depressing.

I’ve tried to “look on the bright side”, however, that’s much easier said than done.

Take care and be well,

Tina[/QUOTE]

They Thyrod issuse is the same as mine I have a tumor behind mine and constantly have to get blood checked and try to figure it out. I know your frustration and stress very well. the cortisol levels in me are doing the same also I don’t eat half as much as my picky daughter who weighs less that 120 and is 19. my bowels are off kilter again. I have severe colitis and ulcers. I f I take a trip out of town for a day and come home I have gained 15 lbs. doctor says it is water. (good excuse)but no help I cant try on clothes when I am bloated and swollen. my back is jacked up too. It is curved , fused together and narrowing. by the way I am 39 years old and my back looks worse than my fathers. the bone pain is terrible along with the muscle spasms. I have reduced my stress and nothing has changed. so I need to find someone who can get the tyroid back into normal ranges and get my back better pus help with this terrible emontionally destructive weight gain under control again.. keep your head up you can pm me and we can talk…

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2009 at 4:36 pm

[QUOTE=Tina]Hello all,

Take care and be well,

Tina[/QUOTE]

They Thyrod issuse is the same as mine I have a tumor behind mine and constantly have to get blood checked and try to figure it out. I know your frustration and stress very well. the cortisol levels in me are doing the same also I don’t eat half as much as my picky daughter who weighs less that 120 and is 19. my bowels are off kilter again. I have severe colitis and ulcers. I f I take a trip out of town for a day and come home I have gained 15 lbs. doctor says it is water. (good excuse)but no help I cant try on clothes when I am bloated and swollen. my back is jacked up too. It is curved , fused together and narrowing. by the way I am 39 years old and my back looks worse than my fathers. the bone pain is terrible along with the muscle spasms. I have reduced my stress and nothing has changed. so I need to find someone who can get the tyroid back into normal ranges and get my back better pus help with this terrible emontionally destructive weight gain under control again.. keep your head up you can pm me and we can talk…

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Hi Sherry: It is totally normal to be depressed with GBS especially so soon after the attack. There is depression and there is also fatigue, and your body has undergone a major assault. You need to be patient with your healing process, but as I have said, perhaps you want to find someone who can listen to your process and help you get through it. There are in fact many wonderful people on this site who can help, but sometimes face to face contact makes a difference too. In any case, keep on posting and people here will help and be patient with this slow process of healing. Jeff

• Anonymous
      March 9, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Jeff, thank you for your words, they are so helpful

when I read ‘be patient with the slow process of healing’ it was just what I needed today.