New Member – Questions

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2007 at 9:36 pm

I am a new member of this forum and am trying to get some information about GBS and how many people out there contracted following a flu shot and what areas they are from. My husband got GBS following a flu shot in November 2006 and is recovering very well. He had plasma therapy in Ottawa, Canada and was lucky to have great medical care and is back to work after only seven months. I would be interested in talking to anyone from Canada who also had a flu shot prior to GBS. Thanks,Betsy Armstrong

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2007 at 9:50 pm

Hi, Welcome.
      My husband got GBS in 2001 from a flu shot while on the job at a restaurant he was a cook at. He actually had to sue insurance company for workman’s because they weren’t willing to pay otherwise. It was just a couple of thousand dollars. Enough to pay for his living expenses when he was out of work for a few months. We live in St Pete, FL. My husband Jacob recently had a recurring attack and his recovery is questionable. I’m glad your husband has gotten quality care and recovering nicely. Annie

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2007 at 10:19 pm

Hi Annie, Just wanted to say hello as I am in Tampa. It’s nice to know there are others close by. What do you mean a recurring attack? Another entire episode??

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2007 at 8:25 am

Good morning Betsy.
      Last Nov I also got GBS from a flu shot. Mine was mild as it only attacked my feet and lower legs. I wish I could find a way to let everyone know about the flu shot.GBS is listed but every year people are getting GBS from the shot.I had a Neurologist tell me to NEVER take the shot again or any imune shot unless I check with my Doctor. She also said the flu shot for this year is for last years flu and that it does not ease the flu if you catch a new strain of flu this year. I tell everyone I can about the flu shot.I was given IVIG and had it for 5 days. (Steve–Gainesville Fla )

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2007 at 8:17 pm

It is nice to hear from others who got GBS from the flu shot even from so far away. Unfortunately too many people are victims and aren’t getting good medical treatment or early diognosis. Sorry to hear Annie’s husband has had recurring problems. I think that is common with GBS. Especially if you don’t take time to recover fully. I know how hard it is to be out of work.

Thanks for answering my inquiry. Betsy Armstrong

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2007 at 11:53 am

My dates were off a year. Sorry.
      My husband had a flu shot around Nov.2005. (Northern Calif., Sonoma County)
      He woke up January 4, 2006 and his feet were a little unstable. Jan 5, I called 911 because he couldnt walk. The doctor diagnosed GBS while he was in the emergency room. He was paralized up to his chest but did not need to be on a ventilator. He could barely open his eyelids and his voice was also effected. He received IVIG for 5 days. Went to rehab on Jan 12, 2006 and left rehab on Jan. 17, 2006. He walked out of there. The doctors said he was just lucky. I think starting the IVIG so soon might have helped. He did have flu symptoms about a week before prior to Jan 4.
      We will not be getting flu shots. We have talked to nurses in the hospital and they won’t get flu shots.

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2007 at 8:33 pm

Wow, I thought John’s recovery was great. He was in the hospital for almost three months but walked with a walker after two months. He has IVIG and Plasma Therapy and then IVIG again twice, before he got better. I am glad your husband did so well and all of our family and John’s nurses are also refusing the flu shot. The local newspaper did a great story on John and we got a lot of replies saying they would no longer have a flu either. We just have to keep telling people and put pressure on the pharmaceutical companies to be more resposibile for highlighting the side effects, which include GBS, PMR and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Thanks for your input. Betsy

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Yeah, another episode. This will be his 4th episode with GBS. It’s questionable if he has GBS of or CDIP because recurring “attacks” are not common with GBS patients. There is, however, a condition where people have repeated GBS onsets. It’s mild though. It just affects his legs. His upper body is fine. He can breath fine. He’s in no danger of dying. He’s not bedridden. But in a a way it’s still detremental to him, because he goes from being able to being perfectlly active to to being in a wheelchair. He’s been called the part time “wheelchair guy” As if he’s been faking his condition. I understand why people with gbs get disability for the mental aspect of it too.