Recommendations for good neurologist?

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2007 at 4:47 pm

My neurologist is setting me up a referral at the Mayo clinic. This will require a plane flight but he feels like it will be worth it. I’m recovering(slowly) but he feels like a second opinion would be a good idea. Has anyone been to Mayo? Who do you suggest? Also any other suggestions on someone who does a high volume of GBS or who is really good? I thought this thread might help me and others looking for a good neuro. I live in Arkansas but will travel.

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2007 at 8:34 pm

which mayo? take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2007 at 12:11 am

I was inpatient for 3 months in 2002 at the Mayo in Rochester, MN & saw so many different neuros I can’t even remember all of their names. But I had a very severe case of CIDP & in the end (& $200,000 later), they told me that they had done all they could for me & that eventually I would die from my CIDP. I had the progressive form & they said eventually it would get to my lungs & diaphragm, & I would lose the ability to breathe.

It was actually at Fairview, part of the U of M in the Twin Cities where I was finally able to get the help I needed. I was able to get in to see Dr. Gareth Parry, who is world renowned in GBS/CIDP. He is compassionate & caring, something I hadn’t run across with most neuros. I would recommend him over the Mayo any day…

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2007 at 7:30 am

pam, as you said, dr. parry is one of the nicest & smartest of all gbs docs, perhaps the best. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2007 at 2:11 pm

The mayo in MN. Do you have a contact # or address for Dr. Perry? THank you. Dr. Shawn

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2007 at 4:32 pm

MN Mayo in Rochester, Minn. with Dr. P.J. Dyck [the elder], MD gene’s note: i understand dyck’s son is also pretty good.
      I was seen by Dr. Christopher J. Klein, a neurologist and Dr. Luis Porrata, a hemotologist.

University of Minnesota Dr. Kevin Brown [email]brown483@umn.edu[/email] also Dr. Gareth Parry, a super neuro.

Dr. Troy Payne Neurology Clinic of St. Cloud 2025 Stearns Way #105 St. Cloud, MN 56303
      Phone: (320) 253-1822 Toll Free: (877) 253-1822
      he was quick to recognize the symptoms and get me started on IVIG the day after he admitted me to the
      hospital. Very thorough too as he ran tons of tests to be sure he wasn’t misdiagnosing me either.

*** NOT RECOMMENDED*** Dr. Eric Sorenson of the MN mayo. He was [ineffective] & a rather cruel doctor.

Twin Cities – Burnsville – I would recommend my Neurologist highly:
      Dr Leland Scott Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology (952) 435-8516

Fairview (U of M) where I have been seeing Dr. Gareth Parry [gene adds – a top draw guy]

Leland J.C. Scott, MD, PH.D The Minneapolis Clinic Of Neurology, LTD. Oak Ridge East Professional Building
      675 East Nicollet Boulevard, Suite 100 Burnsville, MN 55337 (952) 435-8516.

take care. be well.
      gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2007 at 8:19 pm

Dr. Dyck’s son did my emg at Mayo. I don’t remember his first name, but I thought he was very kind. He was not the primary neuro I saw there.

• March 5, 2007 at 10:13 pm

Dear Shawn,
      I also sent you an e-mail but I did look up that Dr. That my sons’ two neuro. spoke so highly of. Dr. Saperstein 602-258-3354 Pheonix Arizona at the Pheonix Neurological Association. They have a great web site. When I type in guillain barre syndrome/cidp, they were the first line on the page. I think that the Dr. Latov is in New York, call the # to this web site and I am sure they will have info. Hope this helps. Dawn

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2007 at 10:27 pm

Well, I can’t get in at Mayo at MN. Will try Dr. Parry. They sent a letter out saying they have no apt openings at Mayo. Really hoping I will continue to improve(no more relapses) and won’t need to go. Everybody is pushing me to go somewhere for a second opinion. Thank everybody for all the help. Does anyone know a good neuro in Memphis, TN or Little Rock, AR for GBS ? Dr. Shawn

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2007 at 9:10 am

Dr. Shawn,
      I know the neuro very well that I told you about. He honestly cares and has done alot of work with GBS. I talked to the Liason for Arkansas and he knows him too. He told me he had sent several GBS patients to him also.
      He’s in Med Towers 1 on the 6th floor at the Baptist. Good Luck
      Tim

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2007 at 9:58 am

tim, what is the name of this good gbs neuro in AK? take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2007 at 10:11 am

tim,

oh, is it Dr. Alonzo Burba? take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2007 at 1:28 pm

Yes but he’s in Arkansas not Ak (Alaska) I just didn’t want to be misunderstood. Take care.
      Tim

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2007 at 8:55 pm

tim,

right. i better go back & learn my abbrs. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2007 at 11:31 pm

Thank you I’m going to look into this. Shawn

• Anonymous
      March 9, 2007 at 9:08 am

hi shawn,

what is your degree in? not an easy task. mucho effort required. thx. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      March 9, 2007 at 11:27 pm

Gene, I’m a Family Practice Doctor. I(did) work in a rural area. I’m in a group private practice. I majored in Zoology in College. You sound very knowledgable – what do you do? I did my med school at UAMS(little Rock , AR) and residency in Jonesboro, AR. I use to also do alot of ER work in past.Dr. Shawn

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2007 at 6:37 am

shawn,

i am a retired electronics engineer. worked on the space program & in private sector. medically i only know abt gbs [wish i didn’t – lol]. it’s good to have medical expertise of a general nature on this site. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99