Reply To: Unanticipated Residuals

July 2, 2016 at 10:54 am

Hi Jazz! Yes, I have found that your symptoms are very typical. I had GBS beginning 3/14/15: ICU for 2 1/2 weeks and rehab hospital for a month. Released with a walker on May 1, 2015. I still have the same symptoms you are struggling with. The best advise I can give is get accustomed to it and arrange your life accordingly. It does get better but rehabilitation takes time. Your nerves are healing and the healing takes time. A healthy lifestyle is important.

My main reason for replying is that I can attest to the fact that Gabapentin causes weight gain. I tried other medications with worse side effects, and currently I am on a form of Gabapentin that I take at night and it is time released. It took a bit to get used to it, but I think for me it is better than getting off the pain reliever all together. And, I have lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks so I am encouraged by that.

I have also looked into alternative treatments and have had great results with Bowen Work massage. I was skeptical, but it seems to help me. I also meditate daily.

Be patient as it takes time and everyone is different concerning their recovery time. It is hard for me to stop and take time to rest when I need it. I listen to my body now and rest when I need to.

In my case, they almost lost me because of my extreme blood pressure highs and lows. I’m pretty happy to be alive so when I get discouraged, I take a moment to count my blessings.

Hang in there!