10 Year Anniversary of GBS – Status

• September 8, 2016 at 11:06 am

Today is my 10 year anniversary of having GBS. I collapsed in the ER on Sept 8th 2006 after having had the Flu for a week. It has certainly been the most significant event in my life and while I am functional (meaning I can walk, run and do regular activities) it did impact my life greatly.

The Good – As said I can do regular activities. I work a full time job in a reasonably stressful environment and manage to do so well. I have an 84 mile round trip commute as well. I’ve avoided having the fatigue issues that many people have. Can still ride a bicycle, motorcycle and enjoy time with my 3 dogs. No need for any medication.

The Not So Good – I do have residuals. Numb spots on the bottom of my feet, my back and stiff legs after I have been sitting for a while. When walking my legs always fell exhausted – even though I have good endurance. I do fall once or twice pr month – particularly if I am tired. Urination is a bit of a challenge which has led to having to have bladder stones removed twice in the past 4 years.

Overall I’m glad to have made it through 3 months in hospital and 8 months of not being able to walk. I’ve been lucky to avoid the chronic pain and fatigue that many people have had. GBS was however a life changing event which will affect me for the rest of my life.

I live in Florida and we have heard a lot about the Zika virus. When the press talks about GBS they keep referring to it as a “temporary paralysis from which most people recover”. However I’m sure many of you here would agree that the recovery is not 100% But it does beat the alternative!

• September 18, 2016 at 10:53 am

When I was a little over 3 years I had another round of P/T specifically directed at improving my balance. It really helped. Though you will never find me on a balance beam, I now get up without holding onto the nearest stable object. And, in the last 8 months I have not fallen at all.

Eric