Zings

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2007 at 12:19 am

Zings, buzzes, shocks, are they a good thing, or a bad thing? gg

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2007 at 6:37 am

prolly just comes w the gbs territory. as long as it does not get significantly worse, don’t sweat it. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2007 at 5:10 pm

[QUOTE=GENE GREENE]Zings, buzzes, shocks, are they a good thing, or a bad thing? gg[/QUOTE]

Just some of the things that come along with GBS/CIDP. They’re not good and they are not bad, just something that many have learned to live with. It’s the nerves miss firing do to nerve damage.

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2007 at 7:22 pm

[QUOTE=GENE GREENE]Zings, buzzes, shocks, are they a good thing, or a bad thing? gg[/QUOTE]

I don’t know, but if you can get them to harmonize, they might make some interesting music. I find that sometimes it help to laugh instead of the alternative. 😉

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2007 at 7:45 am

I have all those things like most of us with GBS residuals do. I have a question about my Neuro’s plan to help me combat them. I’ve been on 3200 mg of neurontin for about 1 1/2 years. My Neuro started me on 150 MG of Lyrica two weeks ago, and now moved it up to 225 mg. I asked if he wanted me to taper off on the Neurontin and he said no. Is there a chance that he may be over medicating me? Or is this a good thing? All to often I read here that us patients can’t get our doc’s to give us the meds we need. I may be the first to go the other way. Thanks, take care.
      John

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2007 at 7:57 am

john,

has the 3200 of neurontin not been enough to get you to a pain level that is minimal? if so, you need to up your neurontin or try something different. i suppose that one of the different things to try could be a combo of neurontin/lyrica. is it helping you? you may be a guinea pig in a way unless there have been trials using both meds. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2007 at 9:03 am

Bruno, I really don’t have time this morning to list all of the meds I am on but if I were you I’d listen to my Neuro. I am on Lyrica and thats the way they start it. It is one that they gradually incress the dosage. In a quick list I’m on Cymbalta, Lyrica, a few other pain and muscle relaxers among a couple of suppliments. My Neuro has had several GBS patients and he’s a very good one. I’d be driving myself crazy if I started to try and second guess this on my own. I thought the “zings….” were nerves waking up and he told me it was just bad signals from the damaged nerves. There are so many things in our lives that have been changed.I’m trying to accept some and improve others. Of course this is “MY” opinion and we all have them. Hang in there and never give up.
      Tim:)

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2007 at 10:51 am

I am taking Trileptal for my pain and it is working a little better than neurontin. Still have pain not as bad…and I still have to have something for break thru pain, like when the weather changed yesterday.

Danny

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2007 at 10:57 am

Bruno,
      I am confused as to why your neuro has you on both neurontin & Lyrica, especially rather high doses of both. It was my understanding the when Neurontin went generic a year or so ago, the drug company came out with a new, but very similar form of drug, Lyrica to keep making the big money. I am still on neurontin (gabapentin), but have been only taking 1800 mg for the past few years now. I have never tried Lyrica, but I understand you can take less pills per day? But don’t these two drugs make you very sleepy/tired?

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2007 at 5:18 pm

I like Jim’s idea! Perhaps at the next symposium we can have a performance by our very own symphony. If someone here writes music we could perform “The Residuals Cacophony” 😀

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2007 at 3:09 am

Gene – 3200mg of neurontin did not help. Most of my body is very stiff/tight from my neck down with burning tingling in my hands and a numbing tingling in my feet. The pain level in my arms, back, hips, knees and legs is between 3 – 5 unless I do some sort of activity, then it shoots up.

Tim – I understand that they would gradually increase the lyrica, my doc said 600mg would be max. It’s the same with neurontin, I started at 300mg in August 2004. I just thought that they would start to decrease the neurontin when they started the lyrica.

Pam – I think you are asking me what I asked you. I asked my doc if he wanted me to start decreasing the amount of neurontin when he started me on lyrica, and he said no. Yes I do feel more tired I fell asleep watching American Idol tonight and missed Melinda Doolittle’s song – ticked me off.

He wants me to get back with him the first week in April to see how I am doing with the new dose of lyrica.
      John

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2007 at 9:42 am

john,

here are some other non narcotics you & your doc can try if the neurontin/lyrica thing does not work out. elavil, topamax, lamictal, trileptal, keppra, & cymbalta up to 90mg. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99