Your Immune System

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2008 at 8:15 am

Think of the immune system as a huge army of white blood cells ready to defend our body against attack by outside invaders such as germs, bacteria, viruses and parasites (also known as antigens) It does this by producing antibodies which fight against these external parasites. Rheumatoid Arthritis is caused by our immune system mistakenly identifying our joints as external parasites (antigens), causing it to attack and destroy the tissues that line bone joints and cartilage. This as we know causes pain and inflammation. So why does this happen?

It’s because our immune system is compromised. Our modern lifestyle puts more and more stress on our immune system. Drugs, infections, smoking, hormone inbalances, lack of exercise and stress all play a role, whereas our diets do nothing to help. No wonder our immunity is struggling to cope!

A healthy immune system is vital for a healthy and vigorous life. More and more these days we are hearing of the increase of autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, guillain-barre syndrome and type 1 diabetes. If medical science has taken such great strides in the research and discovery of breakthrough knowledge and medicines, why do we seem to be getter sicker and sicker by the year?

Well conventional medicine focus more on treating the symptoms rheumatoid arthritis, than focusing on the prevention and possible cure of this debilitating disease. The side effects of medical drugs used to treat rheumatoid arthritis can be quite severe. Is there any way out? Alternative medicine and natural cures for arthritis can help cure rheumatoid arthritis at the source.

Of course there are many options in alternative medicine for alleviating pain, but the main aim is to deal with the cause of arthritis which in most cases is a weak immune system. So what’s the best thing we can do to strengthen our immune systems?

Get sufficient sleep – There’s nothing more draining on the immune system than a sleep deprived body. Everyone has different sleep needs, make sure you’re getting enough sleep time for you.

Improve your diet – This is one of the best ways to give your immunity a boost! We can use up a lot of energy just digesting the foods we eat. Eat plenty of fresh foods and cut down on junk and processed foods.

Take a supplement – Mainstream medicine is fond of telling us that food alone can give us all the nutrients we need. Well it probably could if we knew what to eat and in what quantities.

Added to the fact that we’re not all nutrition experts, our soils are depleted of natural nutrients owing to over-cultivation, chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Our food is sometimes stored for months in cold storage, allowing nutrients to leak out. Just take a supplement!

Get plenty of exercise – You knew I was going to say that, didn’t you? Exercise increases oxygen into the bloodstream, releases endorphins, the “feel-good” hormones and helps to build the muscles that support your joints.

See the entire article at the follow link (minus the quotes)

http://asthmatics.blogs.mentoring-uk.org.uk/2008/03/15/the-relationship-betweeen-rheumatoid-arthritis-and-your-immune-system/

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2008 at 6:42 pm

I am amazed at the amount of people who want that “wonder pill” instead of looking at what they themselves are doing to their body. The AMA isn’t helping by not ever asking people their patients about their lifestyle and eating habits. I have only had one doctor ever ask me that. I got my GBS from stress but that is hard to control.After taking care of my mom for 5 years and then watching her die, then my best friend had a major heart attack and another friend commmitted suicide two months after my mom died. I did not want to take any anit-depressive drugs. We have to be aware of the BAD drugs out there. I just read about Tamiflu which does more harm than good. I would think it is the doctors’ responsibility to keep up to date on this, but most don’t so it is up to us. That was a great post.

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2008 at 10:58 pm

60 Minutes had a segment tonight that demonstrated how harmful just not getting enough sleep can be! I was amazed…
      Bottom line? Get those zzzzzz’s folks! 🙂

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2008 at 6:06 pm

My hubby had a diffrent habbit of what we should eat when I met him, now almost 10 years later I could turn this to what I want us to eat. Im a former farmer and dont like junk food, and since I could change the food I put on the table, my hubby has lost 46 lbs, and now he is glad, he see it work and he sleep better and are feeling much better in all way. So I say yes to your write about how we should take care of what we put in our mouth and get enough sleep.

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2008 at 3:31 am

Yes what Jfitzen has given the detailed report is true. First of all i would like to greet all our members as i have come again to the forum after a long time. I am now doing well after my attack on 31st may 2006. some residuals are there to my left feet but not suffering, when i take some rest.
      Now i have changed my total food habits since nov’07 apart from my meditation daily in the morning.
      Yes food habits give a lot of releif to the body. I want to share some facts which i follow.
      1.Daily get up early befor sun rise.
      2.Brush teeth and take 1litre of water and go for the stools, fresh up.
      3.Sit for meditation for an hour.
      4.Go for morning walk and some simple exerises for 1/2 an hour.
      5.Eat sprouts(different grains mixed) a hand full and if still hungry take some fresh fruits, that’s the break fast, and don’t take water while u eat. Take water after 2 hours slowly with less qty between the meal.
      6.Take lunch between 12 and 1 o’clock. And no water until 2 hours.
      7.Finish the night dinner before sun sets. preferably fresh fruits stomach full. Thats all for the day
      8.Take plenty of fluids in between like fresh juices(no sugar to be added), no soft drinks or preserved drinks.
      9.Avoid junk foods totally. Ocationally if required.
      10.If i feel hungry in between before going to bed i take one glass full of water with 4 tea spoons of honey with one leamon juice.
      This way i have lost 6kgs in 5months with good health, and feeling light through out the day.
      Sridhar

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Good morning everyone,

JFitsen, great post. I agree 100% that rest is valuable. Simply put, valuable.

Sridhar, I’ve never chatted with anyone from India. It was great to read your post. I’m curious as to why no water with your meal? I usually drink only water, no pop or sweet drinks (but I eat WAY TOO MUCH). However, I do drink water with meals.

I was just curious to this. Thanks.

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Liquid, with a meal, dilutes the digestive juices wherefore you won’t get all of the nutrients available from your foods. It takes time to adjust but it is worth it. I too, rarely drink anything with my meals ~ lots of filtered H2O in between tho 😀

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2008 at 5:15 am

[QUOTE=brettrobert]Good morning everyone,

JFitsen, great post. I agree 100% that rest is valuable. Simply put, valuable.

Sridhar, I’ve never chatted with anyone from India. It was great to read your post. I’m curious as to why no water with your meal? I usually drink only water, no pop or sweet drinks (but I eat WAY TOO MUCH). However, I do drink water with meals.

I was just curious to this. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
      yes what judi said is right…..if u go deeply
      1)water and fruits or raw food takes less time to digest, were as cooked food takes at least 2 hours. so when water is taken the digestive system gets confused which to digest first and secregates different acids were we get more gastric problems.
      2) as judi said is correct.
      3)our stomach has the capacity of 4litres of lquid intake(not sure exactly) and when we take food and water together due to gravitational theory the weight on the stomach will be incresed and our belly grows to adjust the weight.
      🙂

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2008 at 5:16 am

brett u can chat with me on yahoo messenger just tell me what time u are available