Your Dosage of Neurontin/Gabapentin

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I would like to get some input from others who are taking Neurontin/Gabapentin for CIDP. What is your dosage, how often do you take it, do you take it just when you feel pain, and what side effects do you have from it. I am curious about how it is working for CIDP. My dosage is 800 mg and I take it 2 – 4 pills/day. I try to space them 5 hours apart, but sometimes forget the afternoon pill. It does not seem to matter if I do miss a pill in the afternoon because I still have the pain then. The only side effects I can say are tiredness (but this could also be from the disease) and some weight gain (but then I have always been overweight, so it is hard to say). I sometimes feel foggy in the head, but when I do I have no pain and it does not happen all the time. Is anyone have CIDP and not taking Neurontin/Gabapentin?
      Clare in Michigan

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Claire,

I take my gabapentin three times a day.
      (2X300mg breakfast, lunch and dinner)

If I am in lots of pain I will take another one at bedtime!

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2009 at 10:55 pm

I take 2 x 400mg in the morning, and other 2×400 at bedtime, plus 1/2 whisky glass. If not can not sleep more than half and hour because of tremors and back pain.

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2009 at 11:52 pm

I take 900mg in the a.m., afternoon and 900mg at bedtime. There are some who use other meds for their pain control and yet others who don’t have any pain, so its one of those individual things. The only sideeffect I have is sleepiness when The dose is increased until my body gets use to it.

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2009 at 12:20 am

I take 600 mg when I wake up, 600 mg at 3:00, & 600 mg at bedtime. I could never miss a dose, I would notice it within an hour. Could never stand the nerve pain without it.

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2009 at 8:33 am

I used to take between 400mg and 1200mg a day for about 2 years. It seriously affected my cognitive skills. Since getting off of it, I have had Lyrica prescribed but haven’t tried it out yet. The neuralgia has been pretty rare but I just had an episode a day ago and almost took the Lyrica.

I don’t see how you guys can take that stuff and still drive or work.

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I have a workmate diagnosed RSD (Reflex Simpathic Distrophy, similar to our sympthoms), who takes Lyrica,
      she much more sleepy than me. She is even thinking of changing to gabapentin because of that.
      My issue since started with gaba is the cholesterol (200 to 260) and triglicerds (I had 130 and jumped to 270).